DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to cut a couple of holes in my new case and was wondering what you use for cutting and dressing the edges. Seems like a plain ol' hacksaw would tend to leave a gnarled edge in the sheet metal.

Saber saw w/a metal blade? Hole saw? Other? Any comments would be appreciated ...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I usually use a nibbler, but it is difficult to use on round cutouts. If you can find a fine tooth holesaw with the right diameter those work well just be sure to support the back side with a block of wood to prevent the metal from flexing too much.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I usually use a nibbler, but it is difficult to use on round cutouts. If you can find a fine tooth holesaw with the right diameter those work well just be sure to support the back side with a block of wood to prevent the metal from flexing too much.
I thought of the nibbler (bought one and haven't used it yet) to avoid warping but came to the same conclusion as you about making a round hole with it. Using the wood block might work ...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dremel and a whole saw with a block of wood for support.....

·
Banned
338 Posts
Another vote goes to the Dremel. there isn't much you *cant* do with one of those.

AJ

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
D7, what plans do you have for your case? I just brought out my dremel for use on my old computer case which I should start modding this week.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock04Intrepid said:
D7, what plans do you have for your case? I just brought out my dremel for use on my old computer case which I should start modding this week.
Damn, long time no hear! What'cha been up to?

I'm trying to go for quiet & filtered non-liquid cooling and I'd like to keep a slight positive pressure inside the case to keep the dust from creeping in around the edges. But the system I'm getting (dual core Opteron and 7900 GTX) produces a lot of heat so I've had to come up with a kinda' brute-force approach - lots of low-speed low-noise fans, 4 in & 3 out. I've already turned the front case fan around to point out and my case has a rather large hole in the side so I'll be putting a pair of fans there to supply fresh air to the CPU and video. What I need to do is punch a couple of holes in the bottom of the case - one to blow air across the front slots (HDD's & DVD) and the other to blow air across the RAM & power supply area. I'll probably make one big hole and put 2 fans in it but I won't be sure 'till the hardware arrives tomorrow (I hope).

I also want to punch a couple of 80mm holes in the motherboard side of the case around the power supply to bleed off heat when the computer is shut down. That's the holes I'm concerned about since they will be very visible and near the traffic lane in my room. I don't want someone (especially the grandkids!) cutting their finger on a sharp edge and I'd like a more finished look there. I bought a couple of 80mm metal mesh fan screens to act as shields in case of flying debris. I thought about just putting a large "blow hole" in the top of the case but in my house I'd end up with who-knows-what inside the case or something blocking the hole. At times it's like a daycare around here and with my daughter about to have #3 that's not likely to change for awhile so I'm trying to keep it semi-kid-proof.

Even though that's a bunch of fans it should still be relatively quiet. The case fans are rated at 22 db and the extra fans I've got are 130mm 17db @ 54 CFM - the sound of the air they push makes more noise than the motor. ;)

So what are you doing to your case ...?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I found putting a blow hole helped the most with the wifes computer and a fan controller...shes running a 120 in the front and 3x80 in the side and back, with a 92 in the top with a heat sensor...I put a filter between the grill and the fan on the top, just to keep things from "falling in by accident"

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MikeD said:
I found putting a blow hole helped the most with the wifes computer and a fan controller...shes running a 120 in the front and 3x80 in the side and back, with a 92 in the top with a heat sensor...I put a filter between the grill and the fan on the top, just to keep things from "falling in by accident"
I'll have sensors on my extra fans, too.

I thought about the grill on top but was concerned with liquids. No way a liquid is gonna' come in through the side by accident but it could come through the top if someone (to young to understand) puts a cup up there. Pretty remote chance but it's a lot of money we're talking about so I'm trying to minimize the risks. It's not completely kid-proof but it's as close as I can get it ...

·
Registered
360 Posts
put it on a top shelf??? Mines under a shelf right beside my monitors....nothing can be put on top....let me rephrase that, nothing SHOULD spill in there....there we go tempting MUrphy again...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
For cutting out poorly perforated fan grills, I use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel . Then I use a stone to file off the sharp edges. It takes a LOT of time, but it makes bery nice cutouts.

For new holes, a jigsaw works well if it has a fine toothed metal blade. You might try to find a hole saw that cuts metal, but I don't mod many cases for customers, so I haven't looked for one.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
D76G12 said:
Damn, long time no hear! What'cha been up to?
So what are you doing to your case ...?
This should answer both questions

There's one more pic in my gallery, but it's not as good IMO. Sorry about their small size, but my real digital camera is being borrowed by the g/f.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stock04Intrepid said:
This should answer both questions

There's one more pic in my gallery, but it's not as good IMO. Sorry about their small size, but my real digital camera is being borrowed by the g/f.
Nice! :wow: You did all that with a Dremel? That must have taken awhile ...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
One day more-or-less. I have yet to sand the edges though. I'm also considering painting the inside and outside and putting lights in it, but I haven't worked out all the details yet (where to put the lights, if I want to move the USB/audio jacks, what colours to paint the case, what design to put on it, etc etc)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts