DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My step daughters boyfriend is looking at a 96 avenger with a 2.5l V6. Has anyone done a timing belt in one of these?

Any special tools needed?

Is this a crash motor?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I learned it is a crash motor, anyone do a timing belt on one?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've done many 2.5L and 3.0L Mitsubishi built engine belts. IIRC, there are a couple brackets at the center for the engine mount which get in the way but aren't too difficult to remove. Being a '96, I'd say be careful of the plastic belt covers. They will fracture easily.

Also, have a large collection of 8mm 10mm 12mm 14mm and 17mm tools on hand. Those are the most common sizes for these. I think the crank bolt is a 22mm and the damper does not press on. It will slide off once the bolt is removed.

EDIT: If you are doing this in the driveway or household garage, a floor jack and a wood chunk under the pan will be a big help to support the engine with the mount out of the way. Jacking it up higher than normal will aid in accessing the belt.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done many 2.5L and 3.0L Mitsubishi built engine belts. IIRC, there are a couple brackets at the center for the engine mount which get in the way but aren't too difficult to remove. Being a '96, I'd say be careful of the plastic belt covers. They will fracture easily.

Also, have a large collection of 8mm 10mm 12mm 14mm and 17mm tools on hand. Those are the most common sizes for these. I think the crank bolt is a 22mm and the damper does not press on. It will slide off once the bolt is removed.

EDIT: If you are doing this in the driveway or household garage, a floor jack and a wood chunk under the pan will be a big help to support the engine with the mount out of the way. Jacking it up higher than normal will aid in accessing the belt.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. It will be done in the garage and I have a better than average selection of tools, jacks and floor jacks. may or may not have a 22 mm socket. My biggest concern was if I needed any special alignment tools like you need for fords.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you don't have one, the fractional 7/8" is quite satisfactory as a substitute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts