DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Just wanted to see if anyone here had a P4 and what they thought of it. I built my own, with an ASUS P4T motherboard and 512MB of pc800 RDRAM. 1.5GHz. Here are some pics. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've never used a P4, but I hate AMD. Killer machine man. Any problems with it yet? Since I got my Dual P3 machine, no problems. Athlon crap fried in under a year with a lot of blue screens. I hope the P4 continue's its beatings of AMD. I know that will piss some of you off, but oh well, its my opinion :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a Dell P4 1.4GHZ that I got when they first came out. Yeah, I paid too much but I had very recently then opened my own business and required a PC. It is a tax write-off anyhow (100%) so I really don't care much. Wnated something to carry me 4 years.
It has 128MB pc600 ram (could use a bit more) a 20GB HD..I already had a spare 20GB HD..I installed that
The SB LIVE 1024 audio card. works well
12x dvd w/ hollywood card..no TV out cards were available by Dell back in Nov/00
19" monitor
pretty standard stuff. I use Monsoon speakers (GREAT!, no complaints except for 'system resources are dangerously low' messages and I really truly don't have much on the system.

We have a P2 350 HP with the fast burner, 17" monitor 40x cdrom and 96MB ram.

We also have a Compaq (yechhh) AMD K2 266 with burner, Voodoo PCI card and stuff for the oldest boy and a Pentium 166 (basic) for the youngest.
There are also a few p100/150 hanging around the house.

We have 2 HP P1000 photosmart printers (love the output..hate the ink prices) a lexmark printer, Canon 4000 and 6000 printers, HP flatbed scanner and a Relysis flatbed scanner, 2 HP laserjet printers (old).

I had the Dell and HP networked directly until I moved my office downstairs. May kick the oldest downstairs and set both computers and stuff in his room so I can get back directly on the net instead of using my wifes.

Thats it!! Tahts all!!!

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Same here. Fasted processor I have right now is a P3 650mhz, and it's plenty fast for what I do, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade (yet!) Maybe once I pay off some of these bills ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
CapCity R/T - you definately need to hump-in som more RAM -- bring `er up to 256K and you shouldn`t be seeing any more of those system resources low msgs anymore. Also, make sure your virtual mem settings are adequate and there is enough room for the swap file to swell-up -- at least 2 gigs. These new systems are such hogs! :mad: Pretty soon you`ll need to grow exponentially to keep up!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
my athlon 700 is overclocked to 750 (can't afford to risk burning it up) on a nice abit board. since i upgraded to windows 2000 it has crashed exactly one time. prior to this it crashed very infrequently. my old celeron crashed incessantly. i don't think it's fair to say that one brand crashes more than another. i know that pretty much all PC software now is written for the pentium family but running an AMD won't make your likelihood of crashes any greater unless you run it on a cheap chinese motherboard.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starscream, no I haven't had any problems with it at all. I love it. I have two 30GB IBM DeskStar 75GXP 7200rpm ata/100 drives in there and a GeForce2-MX based AGP video card with 32MB. It's not the fastest video card, but it suits me and my gaming needs well.

Notice on the pics that there is no floppy disk drive. I haven't had a need to use one for a long time and I don't intend on it. :)

Coincidentally, the one drive I do have in there is a Toshiba 8x8x8x32 DVD-ROM / CD-RW drive (8x DVD-ROM, 8x CD-R, 8x CD-RW, 32x CD-ROM). It's sweet. I love it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warlord, it's a Lian Li all-aluminum mid-tower case. You can find them in a few places, but I'd try http://www.directron.com/lianli.html

That's where I bought mine. It's very nice because it's so light and it keeps things very cool. It comes with three case fans built in... two in front (with a little air filter) and one on the back). Very much worth the cost. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, I'll back up my AMD Bashings this way. First off, most boards, including Abit (I had a KA7 with my shitty athlon 700) are chinese (yes, technically Taiwan is part of china). I don't know of any American made boards. Secondly, I had way more trouble with my Athlon than my Celeron (which is running a shitty ECS mobo) and my P3 machine running an Abit VP6 puts them both to shame. Third, when I worked for a pro-amd shop for a year and a half, we had frequent problems with the amd chips. Especially the K6 series. I will admit that AMD made a VAST VAST improvement over the K6 with the K7 series. When I was there, none of our intel machines (which was about 50 to my knowledge, not very much) came back. The athlons (especially in the beginning with that TERRIBLE 750/751/756 Chipset) came back, A LOT. We had to RMA **** out the ass. I run windows 2000 since January, and it has crashed on me exactly zero times. If I still had that Athlon, I would have had to re-format at least twice by now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The RDDRAM is still expensive. Dell wants 210.00 for an additional 128mgs when you order a computer. I think I'll wait until it comes down some. PCs aren't selling much and the forecat for 2002 is dismal so maybe the price of the RDRAM will fall.

Is there anything I should do other than let the system automatically choose the excess memory from the HD?

Let me know. please.

I downloaded this shareware program called Cachemaster. Allows you to modify varios setting and determine how the memory should be configured or allocated optimally for the application. I didn't find it to do very much!!

I gladly accept all suggestions other than buying additional RAM, at this time.

Getting a cable/DSL router to network 3 of our 4 computers, tomorrow. Hope this expensive 'box' works. It has its own firewall and apparently configures the system for you. It is a D-Link 7401 or something.

I am now in my basement office back on the net, direct. Yahoooooooooooooooo!!!

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CapitalCity, check out www.pricewatch.com for some better RDRAM prices. $210 for 128MB is a rip off.. I bought more ram for a quarter of that price off of there. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks guy.

Don't forget that our Snowy money is worth
sh^t and with the exchange, there may not be a huge difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would presume that Dell would install 2-64MB RDRAMS, not 1-128. Right?

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what Dell would do. With P4 systems, you typically have to install the Rambus ram in pairs, so yeah... probably two 64MB sticks.

Best of luck finding some RAM from other sources for a lower price, though.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
all that shows is that intel and amd can both make ****.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Dell P4 came with PC600 RDRAM. Can one mix and match with PC800? Does it all have to be PC600 OR PC800..and will PC800 fit into the 850chipset motherboard that came with the computer or are the bases (?) different for PC600 DRAM?

Danny
Capitalcity RT
00 BLK Dell Dimension P4 1.4 GHz
mods 19" monitor, 12x dvd-rom, 2nd 10GB HD, Monsoon speakers w/subwoofer, HP P1000 printer, Thrustmaster Joystick, Netgear 10/100 fast ethernet card (over and above the standard 3COM), monitor top video camera,
HP C500 Digi camera.
No Zaino, No K&N, No GR8wht air intake
3 year unlimited mileage warranty

·
Registered
471 Posts
Let me know where your at & I'll find you a place when you can buy 128MB of RDRAM for less then $210. That price is insane.

You can use PC800 ram in a system that came with PC600 but don't mix PC600 with PC800.

You actually want to use RDRAM in pairs, that's how you get up to 3.2GB a second of memory bandwidth depending on the chipset of course.

Adding more ram doesn't give you more system resources. In 95/98/ME system resources are shared. In NT, 2000, XP you get you own seperate allocated system resources for each application minus whatever is running in the background & drivers.

What could be the problem:
You could have a virus.
You have too many things running in the background & pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't show you everything is running. If your running 98 run MSCONFIG, Startup, & start tossing stuff. You could have leaky drivers, be sure your drivers are up to date.
Check the WIN.INI file in the \Windows directory & check the Run= section.
If you have anything loading in the CONFIG.SYS & the AUTOEXEC.BAT get rid of it if you can. You could have loaded outdated crap with Win3.x of course & W95 but it seems to cause bizarre problems under 98 & ME.

Abit had a ton of problems with their early AMD motherboards. Plus Abit tends to release several different revisions of their motherboards. BIOS updates don't fix everything. I've heard horror stories when 3 out of 50 boards were actually stable. I'm going to have to stick with Asus for now on, no troubles, stable, ok I loose the onboard IDE RAID, well it's a waste of money if your going for performance anyway. Mirroring yes, performance, no.
A single 15,000 RPM Cheeta will spank any IDE RAID setup. But the cost of that dam controller!

An Athlon MP 1.53GHZ with the upcoming Via KT133A chipset, a 2GHZ P4 won't stand a chance. Gee does Megahertz really mean anything anymore? HUMMMM

1 - 20 of 31 Posts