DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the thread about how armor all takes off the print on switches ect. i'd thought i'd share my secret. Baby Oil!!! my sis's hubby (big car buff) told me that trick a while back and i've used it ever since. It moistenes your vinyle and gives it alot better shine than armor all ever could. and the for the kicker its only like 89 cents for a bottle that will last for years (granted i only clean my car once in a blue moon). just my 2 cents. anyone ever hear/try this?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Baby oil?

Oh man, you got to much idle time on your hands :frenzy:

Seriously though, I use a good quality leather conditioner on the vinyl and plastic interior parts. It doesn't strip anything (painted letters and whatnot) and isn't slippery when buffed.
Just make sure you get a good quality leather conditioner which should have one or more of the following:
mink oil, neatsfoot, aloe and a good UV screen.

I apply the conditioner and then buff it off after it has a chance to penetrate (be mature now people). It leaves a nice finish with just a little shine but not too much. I'm using eagle one right now but almost any quality conditioner is good. I may switch from eagle one to something else as I've just tried it recently and find it a touch shiny for my liking.

I've used leather conditioner on my vehicles for around 20 years and haven't had anything fade or crack in all that time using these products.

I'd be a little worried about slipperyness and softening of the vinyl with baby oil. Not to mention the accumulation or grime, leather conditioners usually have a cleaning agent in them as well.

here's a pick of my 6 year old interior (2000) for reference:

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Baby Oil?

I can just imagine the layer of oil and slime that would leave all over the car. I'd highly suggest you try something different.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
Baby Oil?

I can just imagine the layer of oil and slime that would leave all over the car. I'd highly suggest you try something different.
There'd probably lots of embarassing questions when someone opened your glovebox too!

:frenzy:

cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Meguiar's Natural Shine. By far one of the best products on the market for interior trim. Plastic, Rubber, or Vinyl.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I dont really have any problems with buildup of oil and slime or dust. I apply it pretty liberally with a clean cloth and then go back with another cloth whipe the excess. Looks real shiney and leaves a nice smell. buy yeah...Great White is right about the questions i get when people see the bottle. :gay:

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
THat meguiers stuff is good stuff...just gotta beware of the overspray if you start free spraying it around.

--Gorm

·
Registered
836 Posts
shiny dashes suck. I use Griot's Garage vinyl and rubber dressing. Sometimes, use shiny stuff on my tries. Not a fan of meguiers.

·
Registered
384 Posts
whitey from chat said:
shiny dashes suck. I use Griot's Garage vinyl and rubber dressing. Sometimes, use shiny stuff on my tries. Not a fan of meguiers.

i always Armorall, meguire, or whatnot the dash. yeah it can be a *****, but that is what shades is fer :cool:
i like my baby to shine all over.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I use Leather conditioner on my dash, and then buff off the excess...gives a nice clean look, and protects it from UV and what not!

·
Registered
347 Posts
After detail cars at our shop for nearly 20 years I 've tried it all . Baby oil will leave build up, actually ArmorAll and Like products ( 2001, son of a gun, ect. ) will also leave a build up as well as over time cause cracking.... The oils in it with exposure to sun over time acts likle "baby oil" on a sun burn , it cooks!!!
Try this link:
http://www.castleproductsonline.com/

The product "Deluxe Shine" is the greatest. Actually the upholstry cleaner is great. And the Glass cleaner, NO STREAKS !!!! for real.
I don't get paid for this plug but it is the nicest products We have used.!!:bigok:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts