DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I found out today that I am unable to clear my check engine codes by removing the negative battery cable (I even left it off for about 45 minutes before reconnecting it).
Does that mean I have to pay some garage a huge fee, just so they can hook up their scan tool and clear them? I tripped the light when I pulled one of the relays (radiator fan, to be exact), and made the mistake of starting the car without it being replaced first.
Does the computer on some models have some sort of flash memory that will hold the codes, even with no power supplied to it for extended periods of time?

·
Registered
715 Posts
go to advance auto, if there is one close to you, and they can clear the codes for you. if not there, i am sure there is some auto parts store that offers something similar if you look hard enough. or for the 30-60 bucks the shop charges, go out and buy an obdII (sp??)scanner and clear it yourself. i saw one for around $65 on the net b4. i guess it also depends on what code you are getting. post that next and maybe someone can offer more help from there....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Don't worry about it, if your car doesn't throw that code anymore, it should get rid of itself in time. I think its something like 50 starts or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two codes I looking to clear, both of which I caused myself, are P1489(open circuit fan relay) and P1684( battery disconnected in last 50 starts). I'm just curious as to how long the battery (if it would work at all) would have to be disconnected to clear these. Like I said before, I've already had it unhooked for about 45 minutes and that didn't work.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
jsut go to autozone, they'll clear it for free

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Treptastic said:
The two codes I looking to clear, both of which I caused myself, are P1489(open circuit fan relay) and P1684( battery disconnected in last 50 starts). I'm just curious as to how long the battery (if it would work at all) would have to be disconnected to clear these. Like I said before, I've already had it unhooked for about 45 minutes and that didn't work.
Maybe your fan circuit has a problem. Do both fans work???P1684 is not going to clear no matter what you do, until after 50 starts.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
get an obd2 reader from a reg auto store. Ive cleared my friends cars in the past. Easy link + erase setup. The obd2 reader is about 250$ and most dealers charge like 100$ for a read (in Ontario at least). So i think it well worth the money even in the future when u get a check engine lamp.

i had one come up, when the brake lamp blew. hooked up the rb2 and no code came up. They go away after a few starts (like i started it 5 times max). so there was nothing to erase.

IF it keeps on coming up, then investigate the problem.

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts