DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I take a short 5-10 mile trip somewhere with some "spirited" driving mixed in..............I get out of the car after parking and the rear discs are just hissing away (both sides).........is this normal???

No, I don't drive with the E-brake on :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
What are the weather conditions outside when this happens.....is it raining or wet or snowy? Also is there any snow built up anywhere around the rotor (in the wheelwell or around there). The reason why I'm asking is the hissing could be where water is dripping onto the hot rotor causing it to hiss.......Just a thought.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My brake just hiss inside near the pedal. I think a rubber boot on them has a hole or something. The dealor say he has never hard of such a thing...

·
Registered
781 Posts
yea, i hear hiss/grind all the time from my rear brakes... i have drums though, and they've been replaced at least twice, thankfully for free cause i have a lifetime warranty on the brakes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I hear it

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well..........normally when they hiss, it's not raining but the humidity is high, I dunno???

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was figuring that since the rotors were hot, that water was sizzling as it hit the rotors. Have you got down to the wheel and actually pinpointed that the noise it is from the rotors. Also do you think that your exhaust pipes might be making the noise as they are pretty new, right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let me also add that I had put a new exhaust on my truck and I know that it pops and crackles as it cools down from driving.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOTH rear rotors do it sometimes...........haven't done it since the exhaust was installed

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm not sure why they are hissing but i do know you shouldnt let the pads sit in one place on the rotor if they are hot. That is how you warp the brakes. What ever you do, don't use the parking brake when the brakes are hot either... When i say hot i mean spirited driving hot, not just regular driving temp hot.

·
Registered
496 Posts
make sure you neibourghs cat isnt in your wheel well, i did that once, damn thing musta liked it there when the car was warm, but lets just say i ended up buying them a new cat.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I test drove a Sebring convertible in the late 90s that mad a horrid hissing sound when I braked. Was a Chrysler dealer... you'd think they would check that?

Scared the crap out of me. And needless to say I went home without a Sebring.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Methman said:
make sure you neibourghs cat isnt in your wheel well, i did that once, damn thing musta liked it there when the car was warm, but lets just say i ended up buying them a new cat.
Reminds me of this poem:
My tire was thumping
I thought it was flat
I looked at my tire
I saw it's your cat... Sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts