DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of those? I've seen them around the $150 - $180 range and was wondering if they're helpful and worth the price for the do-it-yourselfer's.....

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
do you need one to search codes, or to play with?? my local auto zone hooks up a scan tool for the code search for free

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't imagine you can do anything other than read the codes with a cheap scan tool.I have a Snap-On and the new Genisys scanner and even those can't do all the things a dealers scanner can do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got mine off an auto supply store:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?3352

It was $124.99. There may be cheaper ones elsewhere. I think it is well worth the price - it can help you diagnose a problem anytime without having to wait to get in with the dealer and get stuck with their fees. Use it once or twice and it would easily pay for itself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you saw what a dealership DRBIII can do you would be amazed.....cycle all the relays and solenoids, activate door locks,wipers, A/C mode and temp doors, reads fuel level and computes gallons, update controller software after downloading from MDS 2 ....etc...etc...., basically reads all inputs and outputs from all the controllers depending what system you choose, can be used as a co-pilot (onboard data recorder,like a aircraft "black box") to record and later download to MDS 2 to see all sensors on a computer screen graph.......also has a built in lab scope to read voltages in square wave to "see" fuel injector inductive kick, ign. coils, Hz cycles....etc....etc....AC or DC, reads pressure and temperture transducers to help diagnostic tests...and also required when aligning a Viper...and this is only a small example of the functions on this scanner............Did I mention the "NEW" DC scanner (color screen) will be released this summer for the Crossfire and Durango and then all new models??? The vehicle communication format went from a 2 wire bus (CCD) to a single wire bus (PCI) and now to two separate circuit bus (CAN bus B & C).....and nothing is backward compatible......new scanner won't read older vehicles....we are being overloaded with technology...I feel sorry for the independent shops and do it yourselfers who want to save a few bucks and enjoy working on their own cars....now the average guy must go to the dealer in certain situations just to get a diagnosis on a problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts