DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Found a Jeep I am going to take a look at this weekend... one owner, florida car, 29,400 miles and only $14,888. Also has the 7/70 warranty. Car is dark khaki with a khaki/greystone interior.

Has everything I want (hemi, quadra-drive II, sirius, u-connect, TPMS, and park sense) except for navigation, which I would end up buying pretty quickly. After I get navi in there it'd pretty much be fully loaded!

Thanks for anyone who helps!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is something bad going to happen? I guess I'll take it out of my post... oh wait I forgot you can't edit posts here after 24 hours or something right?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it might be something about Carfax searching for the VIN being posted on forums and stuff... I've heard a little bit about it but it slipped my mind.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
if you post a vin, then carfax generally searches forums.

So say you post VIN XX and then billy bob says ok, ill use my account to look up your vin XX. They will issue a lock on billy bob's account for using that exact vin.

Generally people that run vin searches on carfax dont post them on forums and dealers most certainly are not supposed to use their accounts for these purposes.

So you can still use forums to ask for carfaxes but just simply say "i need a carfax, can someone help me out?" Then you can PM your vin to the person that responds.

This method will keep vins private and carfax from finding more accounts to lock up.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Why would carfax lock accounts? Why is it not o.k. to use a unlimited account with carfax to run unlimited VIN's? Has carfax actually spent the time to find all the automotive forums and run crawlers for vin numbers just to lock up accounts that were legally paid for? I mean, what if someone posted a vin 6 months ago asking about an option package that was installed at the factory, and then 6 months later he sells it to a dealer who runs a carfax to sell it on the lot... would carfax pull a major dealer's account just because of a question posted?

If they have, they have... it just doesn't sound right...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Multiple members on other forums have reported that their accounts were deleted upon running forum posted vins.
I saw this a while back on another forum, you see it every so often but its not very common. People just ignore requests for carfax now, who knows it may be just a hoax carfax started to freak ppl out.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24805

Not sure why carfax does this but it happens to private accounts only, like limited ones that you purchase through their website, not unlimited ones.

I believe it only applies to online accounts and not dealer accounts that run unlimited vins because as you stated they would obviously encounter many vins. But that makes it fairly useless is they can run the vin only at work (if they work at a dealer) and cannot post the report on a forum.

I havent read their contract that you agree to when you sign up for an account but they have to mention private use only to avoid such issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts