DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says....checking to see if anyone has the Xfinity TV service from Comcast? I see they're pushing it pretty hard in advertisements in Print and Online, etc. Prices seem to be too good to be true vs the competition. Naturally there's introductory pricing involved but even after that expires their prices seem very good once the initial period runs out.

So who has it? What's good/bad? Pipe up!

ATT Uverse has gotten out of control for pricing. I'm not really interested in the "Premium" channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. A decent channel lineup with regular channels is my interest. Are they ClearQAM? Interested in using an HTPC with an HDTV tuner and that doesn't work at all unless you use a Slingbox.which I'm not going to spend $400 for!

I've got 18mb Internet service with my ATT bundle. That's my major interest. HDTV is secondary.

I also understand there might be Regional differences with Comcast...so state where your general region is. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I've heard good things about xFinity from my friends that have it, but I'll warn you about where you need to stay back:
•ANYTHING Verizon. Rarely works, Customer Support is CRAP! Full of liars that don't even know how to use the features that they provide.
•HughesNet: Rarely works, Bandwidth restrictions are EXTREME! You can watch a 5 second YouTube video in HD and max it out (true story)

I've used both services, and HATED both, still on Verizon HomeFusion and it works, but not well. DNS is the problem with both.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard good things about xFinity from my friends that have it, but I'll warn you about where you need to stay back:
•ANYTHING Verizon. Rarely works, Customer Support is CRAP! Full of liars that don't even know how to use the features that they provide.
•HughesNet: Rarely works, Bandwidth restrictions are EXTREME! You can watch a 5 second YouTube video in HD and max it out (true story)

I've used both services, and HATED both, still on Verizon HomeFusion and it works, but not well. DNS is the problem with both.
WTF are you talking about? I'm specifically talking about the Xfinity service which includes their high speed internet.

I'm not doing anything with Verizon including cellular.

Go find another thread to play in OK?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And WTF does Xfinity have to do with Verizon and Hughesnet? Try to stay on topic. LOL!

I was discussing the Xfinity service only. Not Satellite services or other TV providers other than my current ATT as comparison. OK?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
WTF are you talking about? I'm specifically talking about the Xfinity service which includes their high speed internet.

I'm not doing anything with Verizon including cellular.

Go find another thread to play in OK?
And WTF does Xfinity have to do with Verizon and Hughesnet? Try to stay on topic. LOL!

I was discussing the Xfinity service only. Not Satellite services or other TV providers other than my current ATT as comparison. OK?
All I'm trying to do is show what I have found in my life, in case xFinity suddenly becomes unavaliable in your area and/or you start to look around for other options. Jut trying to help, but its just like at school where you try to help the teacher and they yell at you for making them look stupid.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Xfinity has been around for 7 years?
yes it has been around but it use to be called ON DEMAND I believe it was a merger.

I have had it from the on demand era and now the Xfinity era. I have the comcast triple play it has been good. Also I got a deal about 5 yrs ago phone, internet, Xfinity with HBO and starz and HD with 3 boxes for 139.00 a month for 12 months each year I call them and they have given it to me for the same price.
Internet is fast, Cable is good and also has 3D content the phone is clear. their customer service use to suck about 10 years ago but has drastically improved over the last 5 or 6 years

·
Woober Goobers!
50,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I'm trying to do is show what I have found in my life, in case xFinity suddenly becomes unavaliable in your area and/or you start to look around for other options. Jut trying to help, but its just like at school where you try to help the teacher and they yell at you for making them look stupid.
Look...I was asking about a specific provider and their service. You jumped in with non-relevant info. I'm very aware of other options. I titled the thread Xfinity and specifically asked about the Xfinity service only.

And I'm looking stupid for asking about Xfinity and you replied with Verizon and Hughes? Cmon...read the thread and title fully before a reply and save yourself from looking like an idiot. OK?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Xfinity = Comcast. It's the same service that's been offered from Comcast for a while, they just re-branded it to move away from the bad image people had in their minds about Comcast's support from a while back. Support has improved now, but it's not the greatest. I rarely have to call support though and I've been a customer for 11 years.

I also have the 18MB Uverse line for internet at home and love it. I'd have no reason to switch over to Comcast internet, so we just have their TV package. Since you mentioned using a HTPC, here's what I did. I bought a SiliconDust 3 HD tuner box from Newegg for about $130. Comcast will give you a multi-stream cable card for free so long as you have already have service and at least one box with them. The SiliconDust box has 3 HD tuners and I stream to a HTPC and have a full menu guide with WMC. I also use two Xboxs acting as extenders to watch TV on. All over my local network. The only disadvantage to this route is that you don't get any on-demand shows / movies on the HTPC or Extender boxes. You have to watch over Comcast's boxes for that.

·
Registered
364 Posts
as far as Comcast/Xfinity tv services....here in northwest Indiana its hit and miss....where I live everything is underground so it seems to be good...my parents live about 20 minutes away and its all above ground wiring and the xfinity goes out a lot during storms and windy conditions.....now for Xfinity internet, I just got it a few weeks ago...let me tell you its BADASS! I pay for 25 meg and I'm getting 27.4 meg download and 7 upload...$29 a month for 6 months then $40 for 6 then $50 after that....totally worth it....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts