DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a Trep and REALLY want one with a sunroof. Considering installing an aftermarket sunroof so I have more Treps to choose from. I remember 15 years ago the word on the aftermarket sunroofs was bad, they leaked a lot. I'm assuming by now they have improved, has anyone installed successfully an aftermarket sunroof on a trep?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got a sun roof on mine, a pop up one. It wasnt an option but i think we got it installed when we bought the car. It was a long time ago so i dont remember for sure. But i do know it leaked, and it actually broke in the winter cuz of the ice and someone tried to open it. I didnt notice it broke till i was doing close to 100 and i got hit in the head with a piece of it, i thought i was going to make myself a moonroof. Its still broken, so it leaks a lil more, and has a tendency to open a lil at high speeds when closed.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Intrepid99 did in his '98 (the site owner). He wasn't happy with it and traded Intrepid98 in for Intrepid99.

If you want a sunroof, buy a car with it already installed as a factory option.

NUFF said!

·
Registered
781 Posts
hey... weird question... i've got a full size otis... would i have to ditch that to get a sun/moonroof or is it possible to have it installed in the rear section?

·
Registered
781 Posts
no no no... mine is the fullsize... it has the sunglass and garage door opener holders... it's about 14 inches longer than regular otis, there would be a definite conflict if a sunroof were put in the "standard" position

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
First gen wouldnt be able to have the full size console if you want a sun roof. An aftermarket sunroof would work a lot better on a first gen that a second, becuase the seconds roof is different and curved, where the first gens is pretty much strait.

--Gorm

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
JBRONCFAN said:
Shopping for a Trep and REALLY want one with a sunroof. Considering installing an aftermarket sunroof so I have more Treps to choose from. I remember 15 years ago the word on the aftermarket sunroofs was bad, they leaked a lot. I'm assuming by now they have improved, has anyone installed successfully an aftermarket sunroof on a trep?

Same crap being sold as was 15 years ago. Don't do it. If you really want a sunroof look for a car with a factory sunroof. Aftermarket one's leak and there is no channel to route the water to the ground. You get a wet interior and bad rust.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
gormo66 said:
You could always take it into the dealer and have them install one.

--Gorm
Not that easy. I implore you to try.

Does anyone know how much a dealer would charge for a sunroof?
Dealers don't have sunroofs to sell, because you need the proper drainage like stated before, which is built in to ones with them already. You'd have to graft in the whole section of roof. $$$$

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think the problem with aftermarket sunroof for the Intrepid is that they are too flat for the curve of the Intrepid's roof.....at least on 2nd Gens.....I've heard that some owners on this site had that problem....not sure about 1st Gens.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Stay away from aftermarket sunroofs like the plague.

2-3 years and they WILL leak. Hell maybe they leak on the first day but you don't know till later.

It will leak all over the inside of the roof and it will slowly start to disolve the glue that holds the roof padding to the roof.
Then it'll slowly start to come down into the dash down the windshield supports and slowly kill your electrical system.

At least thats what happened to my Nissan Maxima that had an aftermarket sunroof when I bought it 2nd hand. That car had been nothing but headaches.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Not that easy. I implore you to try.

Dealers don't have sunroofs to sell, because you need the proper drainage like stated before, which is built in to ones with them already. You'd have to graft in the whole section of roof. $$$$
Give me 5000 Bucks and I will! :p

--Gorm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts