DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84 in a 55 because it was a country road, I was passing 1 car, trying to get back in my lane so everyone had ample space, and he was several cars back... no clue how he got me at 84... cuz I didn't break 75

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I heard if you overpay the fine, they send you a refund , for overpayment.

Don't cash it the ticket will not be filed untill the paperwork is finished.

Might not work but the account will be open as unfinished business ?

Could be a urbin myth.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Get a lawyer. It'll cost you upfront, but save you in the end. Had friends go this route and saved their ass.

I sincerely doubt that you can come up with anything that the judge/referee hasn't heard. At least a lawyer who specializes in this will know the right way to negotiate with that certain judge.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ticket costs me $95.. i just dont want it on my record

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
84 in a 55 and you only got a $95 ticket?

BTW, anytime you see a speed just 1 shy of a new penalty point (in this case, 1 mph shy of doing 30 over), it usually means that the driver was actually going faster than that and the cop was giving you a break. So Phrozt, how fast were you going really? Like 90?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Phrozt said:
84 in a 55 because it was a country road, I was passing 1 car, trying to get back in my lane so everyone had ample space, and he was several cars back... no clue how he got me at 84... cuz I didn't break 75
A lawer can get fines and demerit points reduced, but not likely totaly eliminated. Also when I'm passing someone on a two lane, I'm not really looking at my speedometer. I'm more focused on the oncoming traffic lane and the car I just passed.This is why it's quite possible you were actually doing 84 and only thought you were going 75.

Reactions: IntrepidBus IV

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i saw him, I was crossing over into the other lane, so I would have just hit my peak speed and JUST started to slow down. I looked at my speedometer as soon as I saw him, and it was 70/71ish

EDIT: regardless of waht I think I was going, you don't slam on your breaks as soon as you pass someone on a highway, so when i looked down and saw 70-71, it wasn't because I slammed my breaks on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The passing part pretty much seals it-you gonna pay. If you contest it the prosecutor MIGHT offer you a lesser fine-but in this case I think you got a pretty low fine in the first place

·
Registered
299 Posts
me and my friend were driving today he was in front and the cop got him but was behind me....with the light i pull to the side and he passed...had he not been in the front....i would have gotten it.He was doing 63 in 45 as was i....really sucked 145 for the ticket plus 10 bux...i think u just have to pay the fine or do like defensive driving

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get a lawyer from that town/county, nearer the courthouse the better, has a better chance of knowing the judge/town temperament. If it's some backwater country area might be harder but try for some lawyer local as opposed to closer to you. And when your passing someone mind the speedlimit/how fast your going.

The lawyer's your best chance to keep it off your record, you'll probably still have to pay the fine and court fees, plus your lawyer but the judge might keep it off your record. All they care about is getting paid, a guy from my job got a ticket in a 'radar zone'=speedtrap his lawyer got a ticket from going on his record but he had to pay the fine. :banana:

If your on an unfamiliar road keep it about 5mph over the speed limit, better yet always keep it at 5mph or less over the speed limit, no more cops/troopers bugging you. IF you have to speed save it for the highways where you blend in with everybody else going 15-20mph over the limit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
a 95 dollar ticker for 29 over??? buddy, you should have been shelling out $290 for the speed plus the $50 surcharge to the head-injury association thing........ jsut pay the fine man, you got off easy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
{hijack} hey, ferret depot, I get alot of my fuzzie stuff there {end hijack}

·
Registered
157 Posts
Man up, be and adult, pay your ticket and slow down next time. You don't need to go 20 over to pass anyone...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Don't get a lawyer! Not worth the expense, and not the image you want to portray. Just plead not guilty, show up at the court hearing and be civil and polite. They will likly reduce the charge to where the points go away and you'll just have to pay the fine. They do want their $$$, that is all.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ill. is not on a point system like other states. theres a few routes to playing with this.
1st have you been ticketed before whats sitting on your driving record if nothing take it like a man take the fine and supervison and be done with it. or 2nd you can try to ask for a motion of discovery and request the maintance reports for the calibration of the radar gun, and you can also ask for the paper working stating the officer is in fact certifide to use that radar gun. keep in mind if your wrong or you piss the judge off your screwed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
ok, ill admit this, one time last year. 02 Mercury Sable (moms car) copmming home from camp on INterstate81. doing 120+, i was pulled over on his radar doing 91 and lazer at 95. i was truthfull, and said"i know i was speeding, im sorry, yadayada, i was going 75v the whole way home and i just wanted to see what it could do." officer replies "well it runs well now doesnt it?" he takes license registration etc, goes to state trooper car behind me, another one pulls up, they talk and laugh, he comes back and says " now i know a good kid like you wouldnbt be speeding like that, right" so he gives me a ticket for unlawfull speedometer, therefore it wasnt an insanely large ticket, i didnt lose my license, and my insurance didnt go up.. So all in all, dont lie, just tell them exactly what happened and be cooperative.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TopGunWgHs said:
ok, ill admit this, one time last year. 02 Mercury Sable (moms car) copmming home from camp on INterstate81. doing 120+, i was pulled over on his radar doing 91 and lazer at 95. i was truthfull, and said"i know i was speeding, im sorry, yadayada, i was going 75v the whole way home and i just wanted to see what it could do." officer replies "well it runs well now doesnt it?" he takes license registration etc, goes to state trooper car behind me, another one pulls up, they talk and laugh, he comes back and says " now i know a good kid like you wouldnbt be speeding like that, right" so he gives me a ticket for unlawfull speedometer, therefore it wasnt an insanely large ticket, i didnt lose my license, and my insurance didnt go up.. So all in all, dont lie, just tell them exactly what happened and be cooperative.

I always treat authority with a lot of respect... and I was respectful with this cop. Had my license and insurance ready for him with my window rolled down.. well before he came to the car. I realize I was speeding.. but I don't want a ticket for 84 when there's no way I was even doing 75. The first moment he SAW me I was doing 71ish.. and when I saw him swerve a bit off the road to clock me I was easily down to 65 or lower.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you show up with a lawyer in court over a $95 ticket..... the judge will instantly think you're an idiot. You'll probably spend $400+ just for him to help you out. Not worth it in my opinion. And he still might not get anything done for you. Another thing to consider is was the person you passed driving at or near the speed limit? If they were that's a big reason why you got a ticket.

Maintenance and certifications for the radar gun? That's an urban legend. All officers before they're allowed to drive on their own at all are certified to use all clocking devices at their disposal and are certified in visual estimation, which is probable cause to administer a clock in the first place. MOST officers calibrate their equipment daily before using it, some after every stop. All of them get checked on a very regular basis. All of this stuff isn't something police haven't come across before, and they're more than ready to show you anything you want. Don't go to court with an attitude that you are gonna get them at their own game and thinking you're a legal expert..... it'll get you nowhere.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts