DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look in your owners manual, it never shows anything about the transmission service. I know that eventually I will need to replace the tranny filter, and fluid, but when? Anyone know what dodge recommends for this?

Thanks

-James

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah, they state it never needs changing except under severe driving conditions. I think then they recommend 30K changes. Consider your driving severe; that's my advice.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
where i work we have a matenance secudle written up for all cars they recommend 60 k for normal (whats normal) driving and 30k severe,, how many miles you have on it now??

·
Registered
982 Posts
Skunkworks said:
When you look in your owners manual, it never shows anything about the transmission service. I know that eventually I will need to replace the tranny filter, and fluid, but when? Anyone know what dodge recommends for this?

Thanks

-James
I think you are correct about the owner's manual never showing any change interval for tranny for normal driving conditions and I think it is 30k for severe conditions. So that is what Dodge recommends. But the maintenance schedule in the manual only goes to 100K miles I think. Also the original ATF+4 containers said it was a "fill for life" fluid, leaving you to believe that it never needs changed?
*If you ask the service dept. they are going to recomend changing it(probably around 30K) --but they don't make any money by not changing it!
*mine has 166K and transmission has never been touched. Fluid still bright red and smells new.
* Also seen several 42LE transmissions quit well before 100K?
*At a minimum check it every oil change and change it if the color isn't red or if it has any burnt smell to it.
*If you fit any of the severe driving conditions change it according to the schedule.
*It would never hurt to change it more often than recommended, so you could change it under the severe schedule even if you think your driving is under normal schedule. And trannys aren't cheap to replace.
*I guess the real question is--- Do ya feel lucky??? :biggrin:
Just my 2.7cents worth? :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
on the service manual i have it says routine every 40,000 miles (US) , 64,000 kilometers (canada) wich is the same amount of distance. in the book it is not called transmission it is called automatic transaxel. now if you never change it from the beggining when the car was new don't try it. the oil is thicker and the seals have gotten use to the thicker oil. if you change it the seals might start leaking. depending on how worn is your tranny

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have 63k on my car and I thought I read 60k for service on it, then I read it again today and it said engine coolant for 60k on the b schedule. So now I am confused....I still think I am going to do it now and then again at 100k. I live in a the rocky mountains so I want to make sure everything is okay. :)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
right from my 2000's owners manual:

schedule A-
does not specify a change interval and stops at 105, 000 miles (168,000 kms)

schedule B-
48,000 miles (77 000 kms) change automatic transaxle fluid and filter
96,000 miles (154, 000 kms) change automatic transaxle fluid and filter

However, 98 percent of us drive in the schedule "B" criteria. If you don't think you do you're only fooling yourself.

And not changing your fluid because it never has been is the worst advice I've heard in quite awhile. If it's never been changed, CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY !!

Every day extra you drive with dirty, broken down ATF 4 is cutting life off the tranny. The seals do not "get used to" the old fluid, that's ridiculous. If it does develope a leak after a fluid and filter change, it's because the new fluid does as it's supposed to and cleans deposits that have accumulated on and around sealing surfaces. It simply exposes seals that were worn out in the first place because the trans was run too long with crappy used up fluid.

If it starts to leak after a fluid change, it was going to very shortly anyways.

The differential fluid is also recommended to be changed at regular intervals. When I asked my Chrysler dealer to change mine, they had to look it up to make sure it had seperate diff fluid. Seems I was the first one they knew of to ask to have it done. Regular maintenance people, I live by it and it keeps my vehicles alive for a loooong time.

Good idea to change the fluid and filter, LTA. It'll save you bucks in the long run. Especially if you're hauling up and down the rockies with a car full of kids and assorted stuff, even if it's just the foothills.

Got an Aux trans cooler on that puppy? Probably a good idea also. Cooler trans fluid = longer trans and fluid life.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
603 Posts
thats partly why i want to change it now....Seems silly to do it before some schedule says to, but I figure $135 at the dealer for my sanity now, instead of $2000+ later and more white hair, is a good trade off.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
trepse79 said:
now if you never change it from the beggining when the car was new don't try it. the oil is thicker and the seals have gotten use to the thicker oil. if you change it the seals might start leaking. depending on how worn is your tranny
::sigh::

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin........

·
Registered
603 Posts
gooose...frabbbaaaa.....now do you feel better? That was a stupid comment, no mistaken it. :) sorry dude....no flamming intended

·
Registered
328 Posts
And don't go for a "tranny flush". Have them pull the pan, CLEAN the pan and magnet, and replace filter and fluid.
All trany flushes do is force clean oil through a dirty filter and leaves all the debies in the pan.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
GR8WHT said:
And don't go for a "tranny flush". Have them pull the pan, CLEAN the pan and magnet, and replace filter and fluid.
All trany flushes do is force clean oil through a dirty filter and leaves all the debies in the pan.

thats why i always do both, the flush and then make them change out the filter (usually twice) 1st time before they flush, and then again once they are done flushing the tranny out

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Dealer Says...

For ALL LH body cars:

For ATF+4 equipped trannies: flush and filter every 30000 miles
For older ATF+3 equipped trannies, every 15000 miles.

This is good advice, $150 for a flush or $2500 for a tranny, you decide.

·
Registered
148 Posts
lextrep said:
*If you ask the service dept. they are going to recomend changing it(probably around 30K) --but they don't make any money by not changing it!
*mine has 166K and transmission has never been touched. Fluid still bright red and smells new.

You are the man of the month. Incredible that the trans still acts and looks like new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts