DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying one of these bad boys, and I was wondering if anyone in here owns one and has any comments on it. I found a rather nice one on cardomain , if only I had an extra 18 grand :redface:

So anyway, my questions were pretty simple, How does it handle as far as driving, etc., how is the accelleration, breaking, etc., and what kind of milage do you get?

Thanks a lot guys :icon_cool

·
Registered
38 Posts
When it came out, Dodge tagged it as the "worlds fastest production car under $30 grand". Dont let the neon body styling fool you, it's a full fletched muscle car. I believe it was 0-60 in 5.2 sec. If I had the extra cash, and was ble to find one, I wouldn't even hesitate. As far as the handling, a car made to go straight that fast really doesn't have any. the rear end is VERY loose and it doesn't take much to swing her around. If your looking for a car to run, and beat the 'stangs, cameros, firebirds and almost everything else, this is the one. Go for it!!! :bigok:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Here's a review from Edmunds :

2003 Dodge SRT-4
If you find it hard to believe that a car originally marketed as cute and cuddly is now the most ferocious $20K sedan on the market, you're not alone. The fact that Dodge took the time to inject a little life into its nearly decade-old econocar was surprising. The fact that it wiped the pavement with several well-established competitors is nothing short of shocking.

The abrupt transformation from homely Neon to tire-shredding SRT-4 comes courtesy of Dodge's Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO), a newly formed team of grease monkey hot rodders masquerading as upstanding corporate engineers. To them, the Neon wasn't an anemic little commuter car with cute headlights, it was a compact chassis just waiting for some serious power and the right suspension.

Their efforts have paid off, as the SRT-4 is a compact sedan that redefines the performance envelope of its class. The competition may have nicer interiors and better stereos, but when it came to raw power and performance, the SRT-4 ruled this test.

Like most vehicles to emerge from manufacturer speed shops, the SRT-4 benefits from a massive infusion of power thanks to a larger 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine force-fed by a Mitsubishi-sourced turbocharger. With up to 15 pounds of boost dialed in and plenty of cool air from a seven-row intercooler, the SRT's mighty inline four comes rated from the factory at 215 horsepower and 245 pound-feet of torque. That's a full 40 horsepower more than the Sentra SE-R Spec V and a whopping 60-point spread in their respective torque numbers. As if those numbers aren't impressive enough already, Dodge will increase the stated ratings to 230 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque on 2004 models.

Fire up the potent power plant and it roars to life with a muscular growl rarely heard from a set of stock pipes. No need to swap in new mufflers for a better sound on this puppy, it doesn't have any. At idle, the dual rear exhausts emit a mild but satisfying burble, while a smack of the throttle calls up a barely contained crackle that sounds more aftermarket than Dodge dealer.

Ease into first gear and the SRT feels as docile as any other Neon, with a low-effort clutch and a smooth take-up. The notchy five-speed is equally compliant, with a psuedo-chrome ball handle that's comfortable to grip, if not satisfying in its authenticity. Lay into the throttle and everything you knew about the Neon changes in an instant, as the turbo spools up to speed and unleashes a flood of power to the hopelessly overmatched front wheels.

Under full boost, first gear disappears in a torrent of tire smoke, but the big 17-inch Michelin Pilots dig in for second and never let up from there on out. The car pulls strongly through 6,000 rpm with only a minimal drop-off in power as it approaches its 6,240-rpm redline. The only notable weak spot is the shifter, as it takes its time getting into gear, allowing the turbo to lag behind on every shift.

Attempting to get numbers at the track was a lesson in wheelspin management. Hot temperatures and an uphill straightaway didn't help matters much, but the numbers speak for themselves. With a 0-to-60-mph time of 6.3 seconds, the Dodge was over a second-and-a-half quicker than its closest competitor, the Mazdaspeed Protegé (7.9 seconds). Its quarter-mile time of 14.9 seconds beat the Nissan's by a full second (16.2), while its quarter-mile speed of 94 mph was a full 10 ticks faster than its next closest competitor's.

Its speed is undeniable, but there's more to the SRT-4 than just horsepower. The Neon's flabby underpinnings were ditched as well, replaced with a full complement of thicker sway bars, retuned springs and beefy four-wheel disc brakes. The transformation makes for a car that feels lighter on its feet despite the fact that the SRT-4 is actually heavier than the standard model. Ride quality has been compromised, but not by much, as it remains compliant enough for everyday driving — just don't expect to sip your morning coffee without a few tongue scaldings.

On the tight Streets of Willow road course, the SRT was flat, fast and a cinch to place in the turns. Previous Neons had a tendency to bring the tail around when you got off the throttle, but the SRT stays put the whole way through. Its steering still can't match the Protegé for precision, and the Focus may have a slight edge in the brake feel department, but when it came to lap times, the SRT came out on top. Its time around the circuit could have been even quicker had it been equipped with a limited-slip differential ('04 models get one as standard equipment), as most of the turbo's power was wasted spinning the inside tire out of the turns.

About the only area where the SRT-4 doesn't clean the competition's clock is in the interior department where its cheap controls and low-grade plastics reminded us of its ancient Neon roots. There are some attempts to dress it up with fake metallic accents and some fancy gauges, but it can't match the Protegé or the Focus when it comes to overall design. There is one bright spot in the interior, however, as the SRT scored big points for its Viper-inspired sport seats with side bolsters so prominent you practically have to crawl around them just to get in.

A cheapo interior and an average stereo might be enough to deter some buyers, but if those factors even enter your mind you're not the kind of driver the PVO engineers had in mind anyway. This is an econosport sedan that takes the goal of maximum performance for minimum dollars very seriously, and the numbers prove it. The Protegés, Focus SVTs and Spec Vs of the world better take notice — the SRT-4 is the new king of speed on the cheap and they don't stand a chance.

Second Opinions:

Editor in Chief Karl Brauer says:
It almost seems like Dodge read our last Econosport Sedans Comparison Test and decided to one-up the Nissan's winning formula. It took a basic economy sedan and stuck in the most powerful engine it could muster. But instead of depending solely on horsepower to get the job done, the Dodge boys included a functional shifter, high-quality instrumentation and ABS as standard equipment — all while keeping the price under $20,000.

As performance car bargains go, this one sets a new benchmark. Zero to 60 mph in less than six seconds (we only managed a 6.3, but that was uncorrected in the high-altitude desert with high temperatures), the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds and 60-to-0-mph braking in less than 120 feet. Those acceleration figures are between one and two seconds quicker than anything else in the test which, as drag racers know, is an eternity. And the Dodge is good for more than just straightline shenanigans. Its lap times were also better than the next fastest car (SVT Focus) by more than a second. The shifter, while not as refined as the Ford's or Mazda's, is still fully functional and far better than the Nissan's. The ABS system provided exceptional stopping force with no discernable noise or vibration. Handling, always a strong point with the base Neon, was similarly up to spec with exceptional steering feedback and body roll control.

It is often said you can't tell everything about a car by simply looking at the spec sheet. But Dodge is keenly aware that the market for these cars is ever watchful of the spec sheet, and in this area the SRT-4 simply blows the competition away. What makes the SRT-4 a winner is looking beyond the spec sheet and finding an all-around functional sport sedan with a realistic price tag.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
alot of people talk **** about these guys but ive tryed to race a couple, they have kicked my ass, if i had the money that would be my next car,for 18gs to get a car that can hold its own stock, do it, if you got the money to fix it, it wont let you down

·
Registered
467 Posts
13,000 I've seen for 03's. granted, they don't have the limited slip, but it's been proven time and time again that 03s are just as fast as 04s and 05s even without it.

Extremely fast cars modified, don't even have to worry about touching internals until 500whp+.

As far as mileage, my brother gets 22mpg pretty consistently (he's got S3R, all the bolt ons, and drives like a moron). Handling can be corrected with about $400 worth of suspension, handles pretty well.

Easily the best bang for the buck brand new car you can buy. Everyone will compare you to the EVO and STi and say you will never match up to one...to me, comparing my car to two AWD cars that cost nearly twice what I paid for mine...that would be a huge compliment just to put them in the same sentence.

J

·
0 Posts
Alls I know is that I test drove one and they kick ****in' ass.

Yea, STi and EVO4 will beat it, but why don't you join their forums and see how many times they bask in glory of beating it. In other words, it gives them a good run for the money. SRT-4 with Stage 3 upgrades will push out about 330 hp and similar torque numbers. And - the best part: You can get it thru the Dodge catalog :haha: !!
How many STi owners can say that? STi going price is like what, $40K ? For half that you can have SRT4 throw maybe $4K in it and beat that stock STi. Still not bad for about $24K.
The best part is that when you pull up to an STi, he never knows if you do or don't have Stage3 installed. What an embarresment if you did have it. :HAHA: That's why they don't like the SRT4. All STi owners will tell ya.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heh, I got quoted at 350-400 a month in payments, looks like I'm holding off until I can put 5-7 grand down, which they quoted at 250 (5 grand) to 200 (7grand) a month..

I do believe dodge has won me over in both the town and sport car classes ;)

I do have to say though, the interior will take a hell of a long time to get used to, pretty tight compared to my trep, and I'm not a sports-rated clutch operator, so it'll take a while to get used to stick again (used to driving big trucks and a 16? gear stick (omg complex, lol)) :auto_07:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Shadowfax said:
Heh, I got quoted at 350-400 a month in payments, looks like I'm holding off until I can put 5-7 grand down, which they quoted at 250 (5 grand) to 200 (7grand) a month..

I do believe dodge has won me over in both the town and sport car classes ;)

I do have to say though, the interior will take a hell of a long time to get used to, pretty tight compared to my trep, and I'm not a sports-rated clutch operator, so it'll take a while to get used to stick again (used to driving big trucks and a 16? gear stick (omg complex, lol)) :auto_07:
army ?

my buddy got out the army , he said it sucked driving those

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, my stepdad's company flatbed, sombitch had to be downshifted all the way if you b0rked a gear, I drove it enough to get the hang of it but still :(

J

·
0 Posts
I looked at the SRT4s and they were like $600/mo if you gonna finance.
If ya gonna lease for 39 months they were like $400/mo.
I am talking $0 down. (Only license/reggie and inspection fees up front.)

You are right. They are a little tight. I'm 6'4 and 185 lbs, but still.. those side bolsters and Viper seats are really really tight and race-like. It's like Dodge went out and molded the seats from SPARCO or something.
The better idea is to get the side-airbag seats.
That side-airbag option deletes the Viper seats.
Those are little wider and much more comfortable (for me at least.) Still plenty of side support in turns.

·
Registered
472 Posts
JE.Electronics said:
You are right. They are a little tight. I'm 6'4 and 185 lbs, but still...
How did you ever get into an SRT4 at all !!!!!
I'm 6"2 200lbs and I can't even come close to getting into one of those little things, I've got a pretty big upper body (long/wide) but I couldn't even get past the door of this 04 or 05 that I wanted to try out, the wheel was all the way up and the seat was all the way down and back but I needed at least 3 more inches of head room just to be able to squeeze in.

As for performance I hear the SRT4's are pretty quick, but don't expect to beat the top of the line Mustangs/Camaros/Trans Ams out there, they still have the the edge (although not by much)

J

·
0 Posts
I squeezed in.
The trick is to get into the one WITHOUT a sunroof. Ahhaaa!! :) LoL.

That makes the headroom larger by 4 inches almost.

The ones with factory sunroofs I can't get in. :)
The ones with Sparco Viper race seats I can't really get into either. LoL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts