DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for a oil change soon and am thinking of going to 0W-20 mobil 1 (synth). I've been using 5W-30 as recomended but it has been, and will continue to be, very cold (around -40C/F last few days). I can't plug my car in at work and she makes some awful noises when I start it after 10 hours in that cold. Anyone see a problem with 0W-20? (the warmest temp next few months will be well below freezing).

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Some of the aweful noises you're hearing are coming from the serpentine belt. It takes about 20 seconds for the belt in my car to stop making noises in this kind of weather.

The problem is pretty universal to 'treps.

As long as you're plugging the car in, you should be ok.

In -40, I'd be more worried about the tranny fluid and PS pump.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you can't plug in an engine heater then the use of 0W-20 will be of some benefit in getting your engine started. At 40 below, your tranny should start out in limp mode. I would let the engine idle for a while until the tranny and PS fluids got a little bit warm. Stuff just doesn't work properly at 40 below, especially batteries! Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I let it idle for quite a while before driving. What I'm wondering is if the 0W-20 weight is okay for the engine (once it's warm) or should I try to find some 0W-30? (does mobil make 0W-30 synth?)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mobil makes a 0W-30 (according to their website www. mobil1.com under the 'products' tab) Up in Edmonton, you should be OK with the 0W-20, but if your next oil change is much past april, it may be a bit too thin.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I often use 0W-20 year round

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't run 0W-20 in summer, even if it seems to run ok. There's a reason the manufacturer wants that weight in summer. Under extreme stress the 20 would probably thin out too much.

·
9,861 Posts
DScruggs said:
I often use 0W-20 year round
Even with taking that car to the track so much? Not a very good idea...

Mobil 1 0w40 or 0w30. There is no reason to ever run a w20 in an intrepid motor, unless you care more about your gas mileage then your engine wear.

0w30 should be good for the temps you are talking about.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll exchange it for 0W or 5W, havent decided. the weather is so F**ked up around here. -40 last week, now around -4 and freezing rain all this week.. :banghead: I'll probley go 5W-30 like I usually run, the days are getting longer so it should only get warmer. (praying) :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Since you car is an '03 ES, you don't have an oil cooler or variable resonance or short runners (i.e. 3.5 LO) 0w-20 would be fine in that extreme cold weather.
Or if you stick with 5w-30 you could put only 4 quarts in so the oil will warm up quicker that if a full 5 quarts were there. And when the temp warms up, dump the remaining quart in, or do it in a piecemeal approach, 1/2 quart here, 1/2 quart there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts