DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I bought my 2000 Trep, it had 84,000 on the odometer...it is fast approaching 91,000 now, but still runs like new. WHile I am in Iraq for a year, I am gonna have my dad have the timing belt changed, new hoses, plugs, etc, etc, etc...all the "high milage" maintenance stuff...so, how reliable are these cars when they reach the hundred grand? When I get back from Iraq, I will have all that war money to spend, but I have other things to spend it on other than a new car.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
3.2 and 3.5 are very reliable-- as long as they are cared for, like anything. The 100k (or near) service should include timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil change, trans fluid and filter change, check and/or replace belts, hoses, pcv valve and air filter.

Youll have the problems common to the Intrepid as well, if you havent allready, like stabilizer links, crank and cam sensors, window clips, ball joints, and idler pulleys. Dont let that scare you, it usually will happen to you once.

Ive seen them with well over 100K, i think in fact one of the members here has one with 250K on it, correct me if Im wrong. When I bought my 3.2 to swap into my Intrepid, it had 211k on it, and of course I went thru and rebuilt the engine-- but its good condition at 211k suprised me, the pistons themselves had the most wear.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
169xxx miles here...no major engine problems...thinking about a water pump and timing chain, but i'll probably just drive it till it dies :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even 2.7 are very reliable, as long as you know how to treat the engine. But with a 3.2, and guessing at a decent previous owner, I is not uncommon at all to see a Intrepid go over 150-200k easily. The biggest thing you could do is watch the small stuff. That is what makes the bigest difference. Oil changes every 4-5K depending on how your driving, PCV valve changes, filters and all the other fluids at normal intervals. Ohh yeah, don't forget to drive it - thes cars HATE short trips, get it out to stretch its legs. (ever heard of a redneck tune-up.)...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the advice, all...I think I am just gonna mail my dad a check after I get paid a couple of times and tell him to take it to the dealer or another reputable mechanic and have all the 100k stuff done, and anything else that I can think of, since I will not be driving it while I am gone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mopar Dewd said:
Now you've got my curiosity - whats the Redneck Tune-Up? lol
100 Octane gas (or as close as you can get) + engine/injector cleaner + Open stretch of freeway (use as much of the tank as you possibly can in one shot) + 100 MPH = Redneck tune-up

Does that answer your question? ;) :D

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Idaho-Intrepid said:
100 Octane gas (or as close as you can get)
What is the benefit of running a high octane fuel?

I definately agree that short trips will kill any engine. Pulling into your driveway with moisture still dripping out of your muffler is a recipe for an engine to die an early death.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This (100-Octane gas that is) applies to the Redneck Tune-up ONLY. Normal Use gas for engines depends on several factors, mainly the compression, and compression ratios of your specific engine....

The Answer:
The burn pattern. To make a long story short, and spare you from all sorts of less than intersting scientific crap.

Basically ( a lot of generalizations are going to be used - I could give more specifics, but well, it would probably put you to sleep in about .05 Sec), The higher the octane Number the more resistant it is to spontaneous combustion (translation is, It is harder to burn, thus burns slower). At this point I could go off on why certain grades are selected for a engine, and why too low could destroy your engine, and too high is a waste of money.... But I won't for your sake. Basically you want to keep the flame front burning longer (And no, fuel does not Explode in a cylinders, it burns, That is a very big misconseption about Internal combustion engines....). Longer Burn = hotter flame front, and just like the self cleaning ovens, heat cleans ( again, for the most part..... not exact here). But before you go getting excited, and start buying premium gas because I said it helps keep you engine clean, Repeated, or continuous use can actually cause a lot of harm to your engine due to the extra burn time, and heat generated....

There, I condensed it as much as possible. Hope it is not too sketchy. If it is just ask for more.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
my 99' trep es 3.2L just passed 140k miles...bought it at 135k miles, im guessing all the 100k stuff was changed already. running smooth as it should :).

·
Registered
65 Posts
LebanonsFinest said:
my 99' trep es 3.2L just passed 140k miles...bought it at 135k miles, im guessing all the 100k stuff was changed already. running smooth as it should :).
You know what happens when you assume. I would track down the previous owner and personally ask them what has been done for maintenence.

·
Registered
384 Posts
so i read up there somewhere that 3.5, 3.2 and even 2.7's are very reliable when treated right, but honestly, can anybody think of a motor, that if treated properly, wont last?
with proper care you can get anything to last damn near forever, with some lemons of course.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
yea but there are cars like the chevette...you could treat that thing like a two dollar hooker and she'll BEG to do you for free...that engine was soo indestructable...

i just got quoted ~$500 for parts only!!...is that about right for the 100K service? jeez! I didn't even ask about the pcv valve...is it that important?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts