DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this would be the best place to check, I didn't like some of the reviews found through google and I always take those with a grain of salt.

I might go look at one with low miles (60k miles). I remember somewhere along the way there was sludge issues in the beginning of this era of motor?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Figure on having a new water pump put in right after you purchase it, not a cheap job. They can be good motors if maintained but even then some don't always make it to even 100k before they **** a rod.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Keep in mind that most of those reviews are by people that often have little car knowledge experience, and do not know what to look for on a 2.7. Most do not do their car maintenance like they should, which 2.7's are particularly sensitive to. They just are in disbelief when they have a major issue "without warning"....most expect cars to run forever and ever without any kind of maintenance and are pissed off beyond belief when something does happen be it a large or small issue. Car has one failure (no matter how small) and its instantly a POS and so is the company that built it.....of course there are mechanics like that too...drives me nuts when I see it...:sneaky2:

Ive seen 2.7's properly cared for last 400K miles. They are definitely more sensitive to bad maintenance and are not for the faint of heart as far as working on them---goes for all model years. Key is synthetic oil, and keep an eye on the PCV system and water pump....neglect those, and it will blow up...guaranteed.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Keep in mind that most of those reviews are by people that often have little car knowledge experience, and do not know what to look for on a 2.7. Most do not do their car maintenance like they should, which 2.7's are particularly sensitive to. They just are in disbelief when they have a major issue "without warning"....most expect cars to run forever and ever without any kind of maintenance and are pissed off beyond belief when something does happen be it a large or small issue. Car has one failure (no matter how small) and its instantly a POS and so is the company that built it.....of course there are mechanics like that too...drives me nuts when I see it...:sneaky2:

Ive seen 2.7's properly cared for last 400K miles. They are definitely more sensitive to bad maintenance and are not for the faint of heart as far as working on them---goes for all model years. Key is synthetic oil, and keep an eye on the PCV system and water pump....neglect those, and it will blow up...guaranteed.
The Professor has spoken!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's how I always looked at it as well. Thanks for the info, I knew I'd hear a different side of the story on here.

Waterpump normally due at 100k miles on these?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah, but you will want to replace it A.S.A.P. with a good quality pump right away. just so that you know the job is done. Also replace the timing chain guides and such, so that you don't have to worry about those either.
Switch to synthetic oil also, as was previously suggested.
I'm sure that someone else here will post a more detailed list of the things that you should take care of.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
That's how I always looked at it as well. Thanks for the info, I knew I'd hear a different side of the story on here.

Whenever they leak really. Just keep an eye on the weep hole (next to the t-stat housing) at every oil change. Seen em leak as early as 40K miles as late as 130K. If you make it to 100K with no leaks, change it out then anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't speak about "normally", but I recently took in on trade a 2.7 trep with 96K miles. I paid scrap price for it because it had water in the oil. Long story short, the water pump bearings were out and the whole water pump shaft was wobbling around, which is quite scary when you see the timing chain setup. I got lucky, changed the water pump, flushed the oil a couple of times and everything seems just fine.

The moral of my story is that a 2.7 should have a water pump changed BEFORE 100,000 miles. Literally, everything is riding on the water pump in a 2.7.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Literally, everything is riding on the water pump in a 2.7.
Exactly. If they didnt have such a crappy water pump, things would be much much different in the 2.7 world....and the 3.2/5 world as well...LOL.

Many good things can be blamed on the crappy 2.7 water pump. As well as many bad things. LOL. :spiders:

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
And there is luck of the draw involved. I didn't touch the chain or water pump on my 2.7 until 207k miles. I was amazed that there was absoluty zero detectable play in the water pump shaft, it turned as smooth as butter by hand, and there was no residue in the weep hole - nothing but bare, clean metal.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
And there is luck of the draw involved. I didn't touch the chain or water pump on my 2.7 until 207k miles. I was amazed that there was absoluty zero detectable play in the water pump shaft, it turned as smooth as butter by hand, and there was no residue in the weep hole - nothing but bare, clean metal.
yours must have been the one Dodge used to estimate the recommended replacement miles with. Mine went at 88K.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Peva, selfishly motivated, Im hoping maybe the longer lasting WP's are on the cars made in Canada...lol...i checked my doorframe and my car was made a few minutes down the road from me. Id be curious where the sticker says your car was made.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
All of the Intrepids, Concordes, 300ms and LHSs (1998 - 2004) were built in The Great White North.
Probably at the same plant.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Nope, all were made at the same facility in Brampton. Same place that took over LX production after the LH. 2Gs that is.....a few early 1Gs were made in Newark here in the States.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd like to know if it has something more to do with coolant break down. Certain conditions, leaks, top off with universal, ect. Seems like they break down because they loose lubrication in the bushings. Mine was in till 173k miles on original coolant. It had a rough spot when turned by hand, but no signs of leaking at all.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
...Mine was in till 173k miles on original coolant...
LOL! No doubt never changing the coolant is a huge reason they fail. What were you thinking?

The newly designed pumps apparently are a big improvement over the ones that came in our cars from the factory. Since the 2.7 is the mainstay engine of the LX platform, they made it as bullet-proof as possible (much improved bearings and gasket) in preparation for that, and we get the benefit of that when we put the new design pump in our cars. You have to admit, you don't read of many failures of the replacement pumps in the 2.7, but you do with the 3.2/3.5, both with aftermarket and OEM pumps. That doesn't mean you can get a crap brand of the new design pump - go OEM or name brand aftermarket.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
41 Posts
I figured this would be the best place to check, I didn't like some of the reviews found through google and I always take those with a grain of salt.

I might go look at one with low miles (60k miles). I remember somewhere along the way there was sludge issues in the beginning of this era of motor?
great engine. smooth-running, quiet, powerful for its size, great mpg, with a huge flaw: internal water pump. When water pump leaks, and they all do eventually, if you don't catch it right away, it WILL destroy the engine

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
You responded to an 8 year old post! LOL!

Check the post date. At least you contributed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I just bought a 04 intrepid in July 2020. 113000 miles. It runs fine. It has the 2.7. I bought it off a lot so no history but I paid $1500 for it so I didn’t ask to many questions for that price. I honestly knew nothing about these cars before I bought this one. The reviews stink. I consider reviews but depend on my own experience to make a judgement on a vehicle. Maintenance is key on these cars. I wouldn’t say they are great cars. I think they have some major design flaws. I’ve owned many vehicles and very few have required water pump replacement and the few that did didn’t cause engine failure if they went out. That’s a design flaw. A water pump shouldn’t kill the whole engine. I can say this since July when I bought this car I’ve only seen one other Intrepid on the road in my area. I see a ton of Toyotas Hondas Nissans Fords Chevys etc. I live in Ga about 45 SW of Atlanta. I hope this car will last me at least a year. If it does I came out good considering what I paid. I think there are people that really like these cars. They are enthusiast. Not my personal pick to consider as a collector car but to each his or her own. Here’s hoping for many miles ahead for me and my Intrepid. This site is a awesome resource for these cars. Lots of very smart folks on here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts