DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,643 Posts
Some Toyotas have the same engine design as the LH 2.7L with the water pump inside the engine. Do you consider those Toyota models have a design flaw also? just asking!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,643 Posts
I just bought a 04 intrepid in July 2020. 113000 miles. It runs fine. It has the 2.7. I bought it off a lot so no history but I paid $1500 for it so I didn’t ask to many questions for that price. I honestly knew nothing about these cars before I bought this one. The reviews stink. I consider reviews but depend on my own experience to make a judgement on a vehicle. Maintenance is key on these cars. I wouldn’t say they are great cars. I think they have some major design flaws. I’ve owned many vehicles and very few have required water pump replacement and the few that did didn’t cause engine failure if they went out. That’s a design flaw. A water pump shouldn’t kill the whole engine. I can say this since July when I bought this car I’ve only seen one other Intrepid on the road in my area. I see a ton of Toyotas Hondas Nissans Fords Chevys etc. I live in Ga about 45 SW of Atlanta. I hope this car will last me at least a year. If it does I came out good considering what I paid. I think there are people that really like these cars. They are enthusiast. Not my personal pick to consider as a collector car but to each his or her own. Here’s hoping for many miles ahead for me and my Intrepid. This site is a awesome resource for these cars. Lots of very smart folks on here.

If you're over 100k miles then you're most likely due for a water pump replacement. That's the weak link in the 2.7L. Once it leaks and the bearings fail you're fooked. For a lot of people with many different car models things like that are considered "Normal" maintenance items. If you consider otherwise perhaps you should have considered like a 350 Chebby engine car?

When the water pump takes a dump....it's pretty much destruction for the rest of the engine. Get on it before it becomes a problem. Dealer only for the water pump replacement.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,643 Posts
I don't know Jack Sheet....but he knows me!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some Toyotas have the same engine design as the LH 2.7L with the water pump inside the engine. Do you consider those Toyota models have a design flaw also? just asking!
new ford eco boost engines are the same too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I figured this would be the best place to check, I didn't like some of the reviews found through google and I always take those with a grain of salt.

I might go look at one with low miles (60k miles). I remember somewhere along the way there was sludge issues in the beginning of this era of motor?
I just bought a 04 intrepid in July 2020. 113000 miles. It runs fine. It has the 2.7. I bought it off a lot so no history but I paid $1500 for it so I didn’t ask to many questions for that price. I honestly knew nothing about these cars before I bought this one. The reviews stink. I consider reviews but depend on my own experience to make a judgement on a vehicle. Maintenance is key on these cars. I wouldn’t say they are great cars. I think they have some major design flaws. I’ve owned many vehicles and very few have required water pump replacement and the few that did didn’t cause engine failure if they went out. That’s a design flaw. A water pump shouldn’t kill the whole engine. I can say this since July when I bought this car I’ve only seen one other Intrepid on the road in my area. I see a ton of Toyotas Hondas Nissans Fords Chevys etc. I live in Ga about 45 SW of Atlanta. I hope this car will last me at least a year. If it does I came out good considering what I paid. I think there are people that really like these cars. They are enthusiast. Not my personal pick to consider as a collector car but to each his or her own. Here’s hoping for many miles ahead for me and my Intrepid. This site is a awesome resource for these cars. Lots of very smart folks on
yep. If a water pump failure kills the whole engine I would. Like I said I don’t see many intrepid on the road but I do see a ton of Toyota’s. Im making a observation not taking a shot at anyone.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts