DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats the question. The guy at the garage told me I should after my old change today and also recommended the coolant system flush.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This post is based on my opinion. I'm no mechanic, but I use the following guidelines.

Transmission fluid-
Check the color and smell, does it smell like it's been burned at all, or is it dark in color grey.. My trans fluid in my Premiere was grey and had a slight burnt smell, had it flushed and it made a huge difference. Otherwise I would follow the reccomendations of your owners manual / people on this site who have more experience.
I have found that unless my trans fluid is fresh, just about any chain shop will reccomend changing your trans fluid.
I'm not sure on the filter, but I would let someone do the flush/filter for me, some people have reccomended siphoning as much fluid as you can before you drop the pan.

Oil-
Follow users manual and take into consideration inner-city stop and go driving is much harder on your car than interstate mileage. Also check the oil when you drain it ( if changing yourself ) an pay attention to any metal, which you can use a magnet to find.

-Powersteering-
Not that hard to drain, mine hasn't had any contamination. I have heard some people reccomending using the P/S fluid with the leak sealant in it, due to some Trepid's having leak issues.

Coolant-
Shouldn't be completely dark and the correct summer mix is approx 70% antifreeze and 30% water, if I remember correctly. The anti-freeze is a better lubricant than water. Again, if you're having issues with overheating, or running hot, try flushing you coolant to verify proper mix and also I have seen people reccomend replacing the cap (if you have issues with overheating.)

Again,
Trust others with more experience on this site than me, and refer to the Owners manual on fluid capacity and replacement guidelines.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A coolant "flush" is not really necessary, but they definitely do clean everything out of the cooling system. Whether or not this level of squeaky-cleanliness is required to maintain a cooling system is up to interpretation. Plenty of people don't buy the expensive flushes and do just fine.

Wynn's is a big marketer of the flush equipment and products. I certainly don't think it could hurt anything.

My car sat for several years un-used while my Uncle was in a nursing home before I inherited his car. When I got it out, I took it to the dealer and had the complete flush and I got to see what was in there...I think there may have been a small child floating in the coolant! In that case, I had no regrets in paying for the flush.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water and it does it really well! That being said, I used the rule, that if any brake work was done, then I rcommended a flush along with it. I hardly ever recommended a flush on its own UNLESS I first looked at the fluid, found it to be suspect and then tested it. If it tested bad, then I would recommend a flush. Will you notice a difference?? hard to tell... if yur current fluid is bad, and the flush is done properly, then yes, you SHOULD notice a difference in stopping and pedal travel/pressure.
NOW! On to the BIG picture! Enter the bowels of the automotive shop.....
Shops pay 3 different ways
1. Straight hourly pay.. 8 hrs pay for 8 hrs worked.
2. Straight flat rate pay... you are paid based on what the "book" time is for any given job, regardless how long it actually takes. Some of the common publishers of "book" times are, ALLDATA, MITCHELLS, CHILTONS or in the case of the dealer, the factory published times.
3. Hourly pay plus bonus. If you or the shop meets "goal", your houly pay goes up for each LABOR hour logged or you recieve a flat bonus.
I'm sure there are other variations on these, but they are the 3 basic types.
THEN! you have the kick backs...
The sales person for the flush kits, ie, injector flushes, coolant flushes, tranny flushes, give each tech a lil something for using their products. At one place I got a dollar for each tranny flush, 50 cents for coolant or oil flushes, and a dollar for a premium oil change package ( fush, oil additive, fuel tank additive)
The shop and techs today try their hardest to upsell everything, the boss demands it. When you come in for yur 15 dollar oil change, they do a XX point check on yur car... why?? To upsell those flushes... its easy money, you cant hardly screw one up, takes no time to do them. Easy.. fast... MONEY! They look at the tires.. if they look worn,, they try and sell you a set or maybe just an alignment or both. Belts cracked, hoses soft or hard... yup... sell em. 100k on yur car?? have you had the timong belt done yet?? Try and sel ya that too! So pretty soon yur 15 dollar oil change is now at least a 350 dollar estimate. If you buy off on even part of it, its more than they were gonna get when you walked in.
NOW!! get informed! READ your maintenance schedule, find a trust worthly shop with an honest service mgr and good honest techs. Become a good customer, come back on schedule, maybe slide the tech a couple bucks afterwords, and be happy!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
My maintenance schedule says to change the brake fluid I forget if it is at 30,000 or not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts