DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping around for my 00 ES 3.2... $200+ for the CAI, about the same for a JET chip...plus whatever for exhaust work and throttle body work and stuff, so all in all around $1000? Is that really worth it for the minimal power gains on what is essentially a four-door family sedan? Don't get me wrong, I love my car, so far it is the best that I have owned, but if I was gonna get one to mod and go really fast in, it would be a 'Stang or Camaro or something.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,152 Posts
Where are you finding this mythical JET chip? The reason I ask is that our PCM/TCMs are sealed units and can't be opened to just plug a "chip" in. That was true maybe 15 years ago in some GM and Ford ECUs but you won't find anything for our LH cars. If someone is going to charge you $200 for a "JET Chip", I need to get on that bandwagon and make some money myself!!
As far as the performance question...I think you answered it yourself at the end of your message. Find a car that has a much larger performance parts aftermarket and go with that. Unless you have vey deep pockets...you're not going to find the performance gains that you speak of.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ronbo said:
Where are you finding this mythical JET chip?
pepboys sells'em for like $240.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,152 Posts
Then you've just spent $240 on a brick! Could've spent the money on a real exhaust or some tint to keep your car cooler in the summer and a chrome shifter!
Can you give me a part # on this jet chip for any 1998-2004 Intrepid? Sounds just like the Turbonator intake....LOL.

Never mind...just did a quick look at jetchip.com Do a little reading and they tell you they'll send a box that you can send your PCM in to them and they'll either:

Desolder the chip on the board and replace it.
Reprogram the chip already on the board.

For $240 I doubt they'll even come close to what Kenne Bell was doing and suspect it's just a quick flash which will also be a waste of money. Of course you can also do a dyno run before...spend the money and buy the jetchip and do another dyno run after to let us know you truly wasted your money. We'd all be grateful for that info. If these things were so great don't you think it'd be common knowledge instead of everyone saying "Don't waste your money"? And remember when Kenne Bell did the mod..they rquired higher octane gasoline just like the 300m Special. So if the jechip claims to work wonders on regular gas...then you know they're FOS.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ronbo said:
Then you've just spent $240 on a brick! Could've spent the money on a real exhaust or some tint to keep your car cooler in the summer and a chrome shifter!
Can you give me a part # on this jet chip for any 1998-2004 Intrepid? Sounds just like the Turbonator intake....LOL.
i didnt buy one, i would never waste my money like that and i'm with you on the "spend the money on a real exhaust or some tint" which i have both of and am vary pleased with. i just saw it when i was looken on the web site, any way heres a link and the part number is 68005 (note this is for a 2nd gen 2.7)
http://www.1888pepboys.com/home.aspx

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Forget about the Jet Chip. Most that have owned it had more problems with it damaging the car. The CAI can be made yourself if on a budget for under 50 dollars (most of that is for the cone filter). and about 300 for the exhaust (less if you weld it yourself).

·
Registered
747 Posts
In my experience, unless you're planning on going all the way with it you're not modding for "power," you're modding to change aesthetics. An Intrepid with a K&N and a nice exhaust won't run much faster than one that's stock, but it sure does sound a lot nicer. :D

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The way I see it is that with an Intrepid the power mods are just to make it a more fun car to drive. It's never going to set any drag racing records, but it can be one hell of a daily driver for a car that big. After I get the intake spacer put in I'm going to look into what it would take to get a bored tb to go along with it, then everything on the front end of the airflow will be set, and then just an exhaust will be in order. Someday I'll do a ramair, but thats gonna take some creative ducting and I need a grill first to hide it with.

Other than that, throw on a UD pulley and some SE gears and I'm looking at a car with some balls to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts