DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe how fragile these things are. My system is currently bone stock and I have so far blown the dash speaker as well as the midrange on the driver's door. I've had the car for about a month and a half and have only put a couple hundred miles on it so far. Starting Monday, it will be a daily drive used for business and will probably see about 600 miles a week.

I have never blown a factory speaker when using the factory head unit/amp before and my tastes in music and volume level have not changed. This includes factory Bose systems in both and Acura TL and Nissan Maxima as well as a Mercury Sable with the Ford Mach audio. I won't even count the number of cars I've had with basic sound systems.

What gives? I am currently getting all the parts together to replace every Infinity component with something aftermarket, but was hoping to get another month or so out of the factory system. At this rate, I won't have a single speaker still connected by the end of next week. Why does the matched factory amp so easily overdrive the speakers?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I will have a complete set of working replacements and a 240 watt amplifier available in a week or so.......

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't say that Infinity speakers are the worst OEM speakers for a car. My dad has a Subaru Forester and I really don't like those speakers! I would recommend like you said you were going to do and replace the headunit, bypass the factory amplifier, get speaker connector adapters or just do like i did and cut the wires before the connector and wire them directly to the speaker, but SAVE THE CONNECTORS and at least an inch of wire so you can easily put it back together if you ever want to sell or trade-in your car. Thats basically my plan. Let us know how it turns out!

Josiah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts