DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Are the transmissions the same? 1993 thru 1997, I have transmission problems and I'm going to replace the intire unit. the site I was looking at had a list that said you can use a 1995 unit in place of a 1994 but not 1996 and up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing that in '96, all manufacturers switched over to OBD II (vehicle diagnostics), which could have required modifications to the transmission, or something like that. This is my guess, based upon my fairly limited mechanical knowledge, but I hope it helps.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
The Tranny code is the same, but best bet is to ask a dealer to make sure. Then when you buy one, make sure that they guarantee the compatability.

Again, drawing from what I know, just because it has the same code doesn't mean that it's exactly the same. The New Mits Evo engines have the same 4G63 designation as the old Turbo Eclipses, but the Cams and the Serpentine Belt is on the opposite side (right side of the car as opposed to the left side from years previous). The exhaust manifold is still in the front, so that means that the engine didn't just simply get turned around. Sometimes, minor changes doesn't warrant a complete renaming of a part, but it does make a difference. That's not to say that a 2003 tranny won't work, just a word of caution.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Intrepid99 said:
transmission from 93 till current (2004) are all the same. 42LE
Actually, I believe the 1st gen and 2nd gen have different trannys. The second gen is the 42LE, but I forgot what the 1st gen tranny was called. I will try to verify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts