DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new member here. I have a '00 R/T and just backed my wife's Grand Cherokee into the front bumber (don't ask). It left a couple of nice permanent door ding-looking dents on my front bumper in the shape of the bumper stops on the Jeep. No paint was removed and it was a very light impact.

The dealer's body shop claims that they can patch the dents in the plastic bumper cover, but it wouldn't be reliable in the long run and would flake if ever impacted again. A new bumper cover installed and painted is 600 bucks. Anyone know of a) an online source for less expensive quality replacement parts (preferably factory) that are pre-painted, and b) where I'd be able to locate instructions for removing/replacing the front bumper cover.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some prick rammed into my car this weekend, so my beautiful back bumper is gone. The worse part is that after crashing into me, his drunk ass wanted to take off! I manage to get in front of the guy to try to pull the keys out of his ignition, but the guy grabbed me by my neck and threw me down. I had just gotten into an argument with my girlfriend, so this guy decided to pick a fight with the wrong guy. After giving him the beatdown of his life, and I mean beatdown, the cops came and detained us both. To make a long story short the cop told me that I shouldn't of reached for his keys, that could work against me. He also reminded me that guy was drunk, so to avoid an assault charge I agreed to let the DUI go unheard, under the condition that the a-hole wouldn't press charges (cause I sure made a mess on that guy) Anyway, the moral of the story is that you should always keep a pen a paper in your car just in case you come across a hit and run...
Oh by the way, welcome to the site. Im not usually like this, but you just happen to mention your little accident, and I felt like we could kinda relate. :D
One more thing..me and my girfriend are backin full effect! :)

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: bvwib ]

·
Registered
349 Posts
deepslatert, $600 doesn't sound terribly bad... considering if you damaged the foam part of the bumper it could be up to $5000. Of course, I think it would take quite a bit more to damage that. I think the only thing you can do is have some place use bondo or something. I wouldn't recommend doing bondo yourself because it's extremely annoying to work with... unless of course you are experienced with it. I sure as hell am not. Not sure how much it would cost to have a body shop do that... but anyways, good luck... if you do find a cheaper way, let us know. I've been wanting to replace my front facia with the es/rt facia with the factory fog lights anyway because I'm sick of dealing with aftermarket fog lights.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My wife put a large gash in the back bumper -of my 98 Intrepid - you could see the white - it was deep !!!
I got it and the hood repainted for $375.00
(had extra clear coat put on hood to help reduce chips).

2 1/2 years later you couldn't tell.

Even when I traded it in.

You need to find a good painter - not necessarily a dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an estimate from a good local body shop. $377 for the removal of the dents and repainting the entire front bumper. I hope that the dent removal is reliable, the dealer claims that going that route is asking for trouble (i.e., if a grocery cart runs into the fixed dent it'll chip bad). I don't necessarily believe the dealer, as I'm sure they be just as happy to sell me a new car rather rather than fix the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts