DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I e-mailed ASP (Automotive Specialties Performance) about producing a small batch of pulleys, their minimum quantity and unit price. They replied that they would need a minimum of 30 units and couldn't give me a price until they had a sample of the crank pulley. They responded to my request very quickly and answered my follow up questions just as fast. This might be a good candidate for a group buy. Relatively inexpensive and doesn't require tuning.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
Ditto. They should already have the drawings/specs from when they used to produce them. Think the group buy price a few years back was around $150. That was a run of 15 or less if I remember right.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
A large outlay of cash for negligible benefits IMO. You'd also need to source a different belt and hope your electrical load doesn't overwhelm the slower alternator speeds. If stock electrical load...most likely no problem. Otherwise you would need to source a different sized alternator pulley to make up for the speed difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was asking about a minimum run for the 3.5 in my Challenger, they used to list the pulley for the 3.5 in the Intrepid they seemed to have dropped it. The last three numbers in the part number for a belt are its size down to the half inch. So once you've installed the pulley take a piece of string and wrap it around the path the belt travels and you have the size you need (Subtract a half inch for belts with a tensioner.) Horsepower and torque gains for an underdrive pulley aren't that much different than for a CAI or a ported throttle body so pays your money takes your choice. I wouldn't recommend this for an Intrepid with additional electronics onboard but I don't have any and I'm switching out all my lighting with LED's, so electrical load isn't much of a problem for me.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
I was asking about a minimum run for the 3.5 in my Challenger, they used to list the pulley for the 3.5 in the Intrepid they seemed to have dropped it. .
Why didn't you say that up front in your first post? You made it sound like you were talking about LH cars and a group buy for that application? Duh!

Looks like ASP doesn't do much for the LX 3.5L crowd either! Not surprising with the amount of Hemis out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why didn't you say that up front in your first post? You made it sound like you were talking about LH cars and a group buy for that application? Duh!

Looks like ASP doesn't do much for the LX 3.5L crowd either! Not surprising with the amount of Hemis out there.
I didn't know they had already made underdrive pulleys for the 2.7 the fact they have may mean that the min quantity will be lower. When I got the quote for the lx 3.5 they told me that was pretty much minimum quantity for any underdrive pulley. (Making it worthwhile to setup the CNC to produce them.)

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
I don't think they did. What Ronbo was referring to was that they made them for the 3.2/3.5 LH car engines.
That's correct!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,840 Posts
I didn't know they had already made underdrive pulleys for the 2.7 the fact they have may mean that the min quantity will be lower. When I got the quote for the lx 3.5 they told me that was pretty much minimum quantity for any underdrive pulley. (Making it worthwhile to setup the CNC to produce them.)
If you already have the CNC Program from a previous run there is almost no new setup. The program is downloaded to the CNC machine and run. The only "setup" would be the raw material...aka block of aluminum and clamping it to the work table, etc. I'm familiar with this from past jobs so I'm not clueless on the procedure!

So it sounds like they don't want to produce 3.5L LX Underdrive pulleys unless there's enough people to buy into it. Obviously not a popular enough product to make "enough" money on which is understandable.

I'm sure they produced 3.5L LX Underdrive pulleys in the past. It's just their "Polite" way of saying "We'll do it if you make it worth our while". Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts