DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'll probably be posting alot in this thread over the weekend as I run into problems with my ATC conversion project. I worked on it for a few hours last night and as of now I have all the wiring disconnected with the exception of one stubborn connector on the junction box and I took out the radio and console so I should be removing the dash sometime this afternoon when I get out of work. I have one question for now. Do I need to unbolt the steering wheel or can I just tilt it all the way down? Also, any tips or suggestions to make things go smoother would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Keith, I found some instructions TFC put together for removing the dash and he said to unbolt it and drop it down or remove it altogether. I really don't want to have to deal with that though unless I have too. This project is already taking me longer than I planned because I forgot to take into account the wiring for my audio equipment, remote start, pillar gauges, center console power outlet, underseat lights and my seat heater. When I installed this stuff I hardwired it right in and didn't use disconnect connectors so everything had to be cut and I have to resolder them which is gonna be a pain in the ass. I just hope I can get everything done by Monday because I have finals at school and it would really suck if I missed them because my car's apart!!

I also noticed one area of concern. When I took off the passenger kick panel I noticed that my stock dash harness had a female motorola antenna plug whereas the new harness I have has a male. This is really no big deal as I can just get a female to female cable, I just hope no important connectors are different too. From what I can tell now, most look the same but I really see when I get the dash out and go to switch them over.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I can't get the damn dash out. I think I got all the bolts but it just doesn't seem to want to come out. How should I go about pulling it out and are there any hidden bolts/screws I should look for? Do I need to take the glovebox out first or leave it attached? Also, do you take out the 3 bolts in the door frame that hold the metal brace at the end that the junction box is attached to or just unscrew the plastic trim from it??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dont unscrew the plastic trim from the metal braces on the sides, just unbolt the whole metal bracket things. As for the glove box, I took mine out when I pulled the dash, but not sure if you have to though.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems pretty loose now, like it wants to come out, but I still can't get it. How exactly should I go about pulling it out and should I remove my instrument cluster first??

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
Not having done the full dash removal before I can't claim I'm an expert. However I have removed the Insturment cluster a few times to upgrade so I can say that it might be what's holding you up. The sunshade over the cluster on the dash might be holding it back. Once again..I'm no expert as I've never removed the full dash! Good luck on that and enjoy the ATC when it's done!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ron, I was thinking the only reason for unbolting the steering column was to make the dash removal easier because there would be more room. Turns out, theres one freakin screw that comes up from the bottom of the steering support into the area where the cluster is. After removing the cluster I spotted the damn thing so I had to unbolt the whole column support to take the screw out. Good news is I have the dash sitting on my kitchen table now and I just connected all the wiring for my alarm/remote start to the new harness and I'm going to go put it into the dash now. My dads flipping out because hes afraid I ruined my car or at the very least I'm not going to be able to make it to school Monday morning and I'll miss my finals. The way I see it, if I get this all back together and working they should just give me my engineering degree!!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please help me guys! After about 2 days worth of work I finally have my dash back in and everything connected. Surprisingly the ATC works as does everything else electrical. Well almost everything, I have a major problem. My airbag light came on when I started the car and I don't know why. I connected bot hairbags and the big plug to the module under the dash. I would have thought I messed up the clockspring when I took out my steering column but the cruise and horn work. Any other airbag related wiring I can check? Perhaps the 99 LHS harness isn't compatible with my 00 R/T? This sucks, I thought I was finally done. I'm afraid to drive my car now, I don't want the airbags to deploy for no reason or not deploy when they should.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,841 Posts
PM sent. It looks like the Drivers/Passengers airbag is wired to different places on the airbag module between 1999 and 2000. It's 4 wires to move around. The color codes and connectors are the same just different pins.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wo23dodge said:
Man,the whole time I was pullig that harness I kept thinking I'm glad I don't want an ATC in my car.
Get those 4 wires moved around? everything working now?
You obviously know how much wiring there was Brian!! Fortunately the ATC works great and everything else does too other than the airbags. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to switch those wires or just swap the module with the one you gave me with the harness. Fortunately I think this is the last big hurdle in this project!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I'd post an update here in case anyone runs in to the same problem in the future and reads this thread. I connected the lhs module and it made the airbag light go off, but on closer inspection I found out that that in order to mount it I would have to do quite a bit of modification to the mounting area. I just took the plug apart and rearranged the pins so they were in the same configuration as my old plug and now everything is good and I'm able to use my stock module. I think this is a much easier way to do it than trying to mount the other module. Thanks again Ron for all your help!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.