DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of trying this dreaded ATC Install myself. I have read past forums but I'm just not clear of some things. I have obtained a complete wiring harness from an lhs (don't know the year) . I checked the airbag connectors and they plug the same as my original. So I'm thinking they are compatible with the same years. Now would this work if I just swap the entire wiring harness? Would that eliminate all splicing? I understand its a pain to remove the dash but that doesn't scare me, I've done those before.

I know I need the small harness on the lower right hand side. I forgot to grab it at the yard. But do I need the doors that they hook up to? Or all those all the same on every model?

I have the ATC power Module, ATC head, and auto headlight switch, but still need the sun sensor. So as far as I'm understanding I just need the small harness and the sun sensor to complete the mod?

I would really like to swap the wiring harness in the dash as soon as possible because I only make home about every 2 weeks, leaving limited time to work. (Hence the car is at home) I want to do the bulk of the work this weekend so I don't have to worry about it and forget what I am doing.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yes, you will need the small harness on the right side and the sun sensor. You don't need the auto headlight switch but since you have to put in a sunsensor and take out the dash anyway, you might as well put it in so you can have auto lights too. You will not need new motors. The connectors are the same. As far as the airbag goes, you probably read my thread because I was the one with airbag problems. My harness was from a 99 LHS and I put it in a 00 intrepid. The plugs wiil fit even if they are incorrect. Mine plugged in and it wasn't until I started the car and had the airbag light that I realized there was a problem. I talked to Ronbo about it and fortunately he has all the service manuals so he was able to find that although the plugs are the same, the wires are in a different order. The colors are the same too, the only difference is where they are in the plug. You need to look at the LHS's plug & your stock plug side by side and make sure each color wire is in the same place in both. If not, you have to take the plug LHS's apart and rearrange the wires so it looks like your stock one. Its not that hard to do, especially if the harnesses are out of the car at the time. If you have to do this, I'll walk you through it. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I checked the plug at where passeger airbag is first connected, and they were the same, colors-wires. Are you talking about that connector or farther down the harness. I won't know about the other side of the harness until I pull it. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
What year is your car? you don't have side airbags right? You mean the two wire connector that goes into the passenger airbag? This as well as the driver's side connector are the same. The connector that is different is the one that connects to the airbag module. This module is located under the dash in the center mounted to the floor below hte ashtray area. To access it you have to remove the trim piece that goes along the side of the console and up to where the gas pedal is. You can pull the carpet back on the right side of the driver's sidebelow it and you will see a metal box bolted to the floor witt a big yellow connector. This is the airbag module and the connector I was talking about. Before you play atound near nay of the airbag wiring make sure yo udisconnect your ground from the jump terminal so you don't have any risk of an accidental deployment.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
yo I am doing the mod now, I have the dash removed. I'm going to tell you now that has to be the HARDEST crap I've ever done on the trep. My friend came over and helped me remove the dash. Once its removed, honestly everything will make sense. The harness for the MTC is connected to the dash, which is good for me, cause since my harness came from a 99 ES intrepid, and I own a 99 SE Intrepid, everything should work perfectly. I've matched the MTC harness with the ATC harness and everything seems to be flowing together. I am wondering though, anyone who did the ATC install, did you just attach the harness to the dash like the MTC dash was when you removed the dash from the car? thats what I might end up doing.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but once you get the dash out the harness will come with it. You have to unbolt a bunch of the vent tubes and stuff so you can get the harness out. Then you just put the harness from the donor car in the same place. Everything should be the same except for the plug that connects to the control head. The MTC harness will stay in the car and the same thing goes. Unbolt it, swap the blower resistor for the power module, and put the ATC harness in. Then put the dash back in and reconnect the dash and ATC harnesses to each other.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
oh ok. I'm replacing my evaporator core and drier too. What fun that is.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I think my system may have a small leak. I probably should have checked my evap core while I was in there but I was having enough trouble with the atc stuff. Good Luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have side airbags but took them out because I swaped in some 300m seats. I always had the airbag on light sence then. My car is a 01 R/T by the way. I'm not sure if this donor car's harness (lhs) had side airbags because I never saw the front seats in it.
But if I need to I can swap the wires on that airbag module while the harness is in the dash right?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Any Full ATC kits available to convert my 2000 ES to ATC from MTC?, I will need both harnesses, blower module, ATC HU, and wat else?, Elbow grease huh?,lmfao!, Anway, someone shout me out, if any comes across, thanks Guys!

LUISA

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yeah, you could swap them but I would think it is going to be a little more complicated because you're going to have more wires in your stock harness because of the side airbags. Hopefull someone else can chime in because I don't know how the side airbags are setup. BTW, your harness has to be from an 01 or it won't work properly from what I've gathered. There were three different harnesses made:98-00,01 & 02+. You need a harness from the same year range, in your case 01 only. Granted a few things changed between 98 & 00 like the airbag plug, but the harnesses are primarily the same, not true between the different year ranges listed above. You should really find out what year that harness is from before you go any further. On a side note, why did you get rid of the R/T seats, if they had side airbags I'm assuming they were leather?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Yeah, you could swap them but I would think it is going to be a little more complicated because you're going to have more wires in your stock harness because of the side airbags. Hopefull someone else can chime in because I don't know how the side airbags are setup. BTW, your harness has to be from an 01 or it won't work properly from what I've gathered. There were three different harnesses made:98-00,01 & 02+. You need a harness from the same year range, in your case 01 only. Granted a few things changed between 98 & 00 like the airbag plug, but the harnesses are primarily the same, not true between the different year ranges listed above. You should really find out what year that harness is from before you go any further. On a side note, why did you get rid of the R/T seats, if they had side airbags I'm assuming they were leather?

Woooh If I had R/T Seats, boy I would be the happiest camper here,lol, I had stock ES Tan Clothes at one time, then I swapped over to a set of 300M Tan Leather, with-out side airbags!, I dont want to take a chance with a harness that has side airbags Plug-ins, as Idont want to have to worry about the airbag light staying on because of the stupid little plug on the harness, and the Computer might think theres supposed to be Side Airbags, I went thru that **** with an LHS CLUSTER ALREADY!,lmfao!, Its a ***** to deal with!,

·
Registered
348 Posts
so let me get this straight if i own a 00 r/t i can swap my harness in for a harness that i pulled out of a 00 LHS and everything will work correctly? I just purchased the harness and blower module from a 00 LHS from another member and wanna make sure everything is good before i screw it up. Let me know. Thanks

Tom

·
Woober Goobers!
50,330 Posts
Tom....you're good to go with the parts you have now. 00R/T had a problem with a 99 harness going into a 00 R/T. The only difference was at the airbag module under the dash. He moved 4 wires around to different places on the connector and all is good. In your case the wiring and all connectors are the same...no changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts