DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. Took the car to the dealer for a diagnostic on the tranny. He said the wrong transmission fluid is in the thing. when his little too is attached, the car drives and shifts wonderfully. Takes it off.. car shifts good.. then progressively gets worse.. like it is learning the wrong stuff.

The Transmission place that I had work done calls the dealer a bunch of hacks looking for my cash.

Question to everyone is. Does ATF+3 make that significant of a difference? will the car shift poorly with dexron-mercron 3/4/5 in it? Do I go for the ATF+4 right away? (does the first gen run better with the +4 or not?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry, I didn't quite understand some of the post....

I think that most shops, dealers etc. are just lookin' for cash....

YES, GET THAT OTHER STUFF DRAINED FROM YOUR TRANNY ASAP, IT COULD WRECK IT OR DAMAGE IT! YOU MUST USE MOPAR ATF ONLY!

What I would do is obviously first make sure that the tranny was service properly. Have the tranny rebuilt or possibly have them rebuild it again if has failed again. Make sure if you take it to a tranny shop that they KNOW the Ultradrive A604 transmission or else forget it, have them give you your money back if the service didn't do any good and go to a Chrysler/Dodge dealer.

It sounds from the other posts you have made, that the tranny shop or shop(s) you have dealt with aren't doing a good job with this tranny.

I would talk to a reputable/knowledgeable Chrysler/Dodge dealership. Although not the greatest sometimes either they shouldn't play games with the tranny fluid etc.... They also have repair manuals and service documentation from Chrysler specifically in regard to these transmissions plus the experience and usually a bigger reputation that they need to uphold.

I would find out if your first gen will work with the new Mopar Type 9602 or Type 9606 ATF+4 which is used in the new Intrepids. The Type 9602 and 9606 is suppoedly improved but I just don't know if it will work well in the first gen tranny's but I am almost assuming it will. I think that Chrysler has been trying to merge over to ATF+4 for most 91 & up vehicles. I would use the 9606 if it will work fine in a first gen. Ask a dealership or Chrysler mechanic if that would be recommended. Perhaps talk to another even to get a second opinion.

Sometimes I'll call a dealer to ask a certain question. Sometimes they don't wanna tell you shhht but sometimes they'll be cool and give you a decent answer. They also sell these fluids and could get business from you anyway so they should be able to give you an answer.

I would believe that perhaps your TCM could need resetting because it picked up funky shift patterns with that other Dexron/Mercon crap and/or the major problems you have had.

Again, check your vehicle for fault codes as soon as the vehicle get's back from tranny service just to make sure that the TCM/TRS is most likely working properly.

Again, after making sure the tranny was serviced properly and getting the right fluid in there.... I would have the TCM (Transmission Control Module) flashed with the latest Chrysler revision right after service. You could also have the PCM flashed as well with the latest revision while it's in. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) update will give you better gas mileage, the TCM update can sometimes improve shift patterns and Transmission performance. There were also bugs in some of the earlier TCM revisions with some of these vehicles. Both updates should cost around $60.00 - $90.00 and is usually well worth it.

After this, disconnect your negative battery terminal for 15 minutes to reset the PCM and TCM.

Drive the vehicle easy for a while and let the tranny shift through all four gears in Automatic. Then after a while romp on it a few times.

If you have problems after this, the tranny service was probably not performed properly!

I hope this information helps....

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so... a good route for me to now is:
Get the tranny flushed with ATF +3/+4... probably +3 because it is still have the price. just to get rid of the mercron/dexron/**** that is in there now. Also make sure the TCM and ECM are flashed to the newest codes.
If that doesn't help the shift patterns, then take it back to the transmisison place and its their problem....

???

·
Registered
167 Posts
ATF +4 should work better then ATF +3. In my auto class, the teacher was talking about trannys and thier fluid. ATF +4 is everything +3 is but a lot better. The thing that matters is that you don't use mercron or dextron or that you don't use atf +2 or lower.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Get the Dexron out of there ASAP, don't drive your car anymore until you do. Your tranny could be junk as it is but there is a chance you could save it.

DAMN why don't mechanics learn this. The dealer was not giving you a line in saying that dexron cannot be used your tranny.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<sigh> I just don't know why the tranny places don't figure this out.. wouldn't they get it back on warrenty issues if it really meant that much?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tomorrow at 1:30.. the **** is coming out and I am going to get it flushed with +3 or +4.. whatever the dealer will let me put in (part of their flush package.....)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
How much does it cost to get this done at a dealer? I am thinking about getting a flush and fill soon so I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Listen to Mopar Performance, he knows of what he speaks. I did exactly what he said...I had my Dextron flushed asap, and got ATF+3 in it, and so far I am OK. It took 21 quarts and a new filter, 120 bucks total, but if I get 120k out of the tranny it will be worth it//

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is $109 at the dealer without a filter change... they don't have to drop the pan, for that matter. I am not too worried about the filter staying in there.. the crappy stuff will be flushed out and the good ATF+3/4 will be put in.. filter is Mopar brand and only has about 200 miles on it. If I want them to drop the pan, it would be $170..... not worth it for me right now. thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hmmm..... good luck....! Of course I would have the pan dropped and filter replaced as well but it could work out, good luck man!

If you do decide to have the pan dropped, make sure they reseal it correctly. My dealer screwed this one up and ATF was leakin' heavily out of the pan on my 99ES. They appearently didn't follow a Chrysler TSB (Technical Service Bulliten) Regarding the reasealing of the tranny pan! Bastards!

Good luck, hope you get that taken care of otherwise have the service performed again, hopefully right by a reputable Dodge/Chrysler dealer and get your money back!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know how many Quarts of ATF the 42LE Ultradrive (I think that is the part number of my tranny) takes? I am going to take it back to the transmission shop and they are going to replace the whole thing once again. (3rd time). This time I am going to hand them enough ATF +4 to fill the thing up and not add any of their 'choice' fluid.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Although similar the Chrysler Ultradrive 42LE is the second gen tranny.

You have the Chrysler Ultradrive A604.

I'm not really sure..... I know my 42LE, which is similar uses 5.5 qts of ATF. Of course you may need a little more if you are going to actually flush it.

Good luck, hope they do you right this time bro!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
actually, the Chilton's manual says that the 1st gen tranny (93-97) is the 42LE 4-speed electronic transmission.

i looked and can't find anywhere how many quarts of fluid the entire transaxle should hold (such as after a flush). it only says that after you replace the filter and fluid (no flush) it should take around 4 quarts.

keep in mind that, just like oil in the crankcase, too much is just as bad as too little.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The chrysler electronic transmissions are kind of delicate so you have to treat'em right.Install a transmission cooler if you haven't already (about $40) This will make a difference. I had a 92 New Yorker 3.3v6 and it ran cooler after installing one. As for transmission problems or questions.....go to web page good luck :p

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would have the tranny flushed with +3 and the TCM and PCM flashed with the latest software. The dealer's shop can tell if an update is available. I've had this done to my 95LHS to help cure a cold start problem which affected early 3.5L engines. The newer TCM software will help the tranny last longer because the partial converter lockup feature is gone. I'm going to install an aux. cooler because the tranny went out at 55K miles and keeping it cooler should help it last longer. BTW, you can use +4 in any Chrysler tranny EXCEPT 99 or older minivans.

FredB

·
Registered
602 Posts
FredB, couldn't have said it better....!

PCM and/or TCM updates can help!

Interesting...... I'm not tryin' to knock the repair manual, but prehaps if the 97' changed over to the 42LE or something they made an error. I am certain that the first gen trannies are Ultradive A604's. I have also verified this talking to a Chrysler mechanic and several web sources.

That's strange.....! As to my knowledge, Second gen is 42LE, the trannies are similar so there's no huge difference or anything anyway.

Sorry, just realized an error, no joke intended..... I seriously meant Ultradrive, sorry!

hmmm, never heard of the Ultradive.....?

Can't use ATF 4+ in 99 or older Chrysler minivans....? I thought they too had the same or very similar trannies....? I never heard of that, interesting....

Later guys......

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
964 Posts
One of the best investments I've made is a one year subscription to Alldata .com for my 95 LHS. Download and print everything available and you come close to a shop manual plus having access to all the TSB's.
This is where I learned about the "fix" for early 3.5L engines that would not start in 0
degree weather as mine did. Champ plugs gapped to .035", 5W-30 oil and a PCM update was the answer. Makes one wonder if Chrysler ever tried to start the 3.5L in the winter.

FredB

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
MoparPerformance: would you like me to scan the page from the Chilton manual where it notes that the 93-97 is the 42LE? i don't want to be mean but it's right there in black and white. point me to the websites that say the 1st gen has a tranny other than the 42LE.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts