DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one tell me what the differences are I can't get atf+4 in my town so I will have to go to the dodge dealer for it in another town. I have an "04" intrepid 2.7L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,960 Posts
Do NOT use +3.......only use +4. Don't screw around with the tranny or you'll get burned.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
Avenger said:
Do NOT use +3.......only use +4. Don't screw around with the tranny or you'll get burned.
ditto.

If you have to drive farther to get +4, just do it. It will be well worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
I know I am going against the grain with the crowd here, but I put about 30k miles on my 3.2 with dexron 3 in it with no ill effects or funny shifting. Why do I know that because I watched the technician flush it with the engine running and pumping nothing but dex3 in it.

I know everyone is going to flame me for this, but hey I am telling you I did it so at least once in history it has been fine.

I did however switch to the Valvoline MaxLife which claims to be ATF+4 compliant when I rebuilt the engine. The fluid was not foamy or broken down when I took it out. I have seen no performance difference in the car with the +4 compliant. I personally think transmission people are either ignorant or just want to make the extra dollars for the ATF+4.

Don't get me wrong I think you should put the best fluid in your car you can afford or justify, but for me knowing that generic off the shelf dex3 worked fine for so long it is hard to justify paying four times as much for the 'prefered' fluid. The valvoline MaxLife ATF+4 equivilent was about $4 a quart so it still is not cheap. I really hate the local dodge dealer so anything to keep from buying from them is good for me.

anyways that is just my 2 cents. Anyone who wants to argue about the dex go ahead. The mileage I put on it speaks for itself in my mind. Does that mean I would do it again, no. However knowing the dex will work tells me I don't have to believe the hype.

I am a guy who is planning on running synthetic beginning next oil change, so don't think I am trying to nickel and dime.

Anyways good luck, but if I was you I would look at the back of one of the red jugs of maxlife and check the price. I have about 5k miles so far with the maxlife so I imagine it is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
mrlullabye said:
I know I am going against the grain with the crowd here, but I put about 30k miles on my 3.2 with dexron 3 in it with no ill effects or funny shifting. Why do I know that because I watched the technician flush it with the engine running and pumping nothing but dex3 in it.

I know everyone is going to flame me for this, but hey I am telling you I did it so at least once in history it has been fine.

I did however switch to the Valvoline MaxLife which claims to be ATF+4 compliant when I rebuilt the engine. The fluid was not foamy or broken down when I took it out. I have seen no performance difference in the car with the +4 compliant. I personally think transmission people are either ignorant or just want to make the extra dollars for the ATF+4.

Don't get me wrong I think you should put the best fluid in your car you can afford or justify, but for me knowing that generic off the shelf dex3 worked fine for so long it is hard to justify paying four times as much for the 'prefered' fluid. The valvoline MaxLife ATF+4 equivilent was about $4 a quart so it still is not cheap. I really hate the local dodge dealer so anything to keep from buying from them is good for me.

anyways that is just my 2 cents. Anyone who wants to argue about the dex go ahead. The mileage I put on it speaks for itself in my mind. Does that mean I would do it again, no. However knowing the dex will work tells me I don't have to believe the hype.

I am a guy who is planning on running synthetic beginning next oil change, so don't think I am trying to nickel and dime.

Anyways good luck, but if I was you I would look at the back of one of the red jugs of maxlife and check the price. I have about 5k miles so far with the maxlife so I imagine it is fine.

Wow! That must have been a VERY high grade Dexron III or it may have had a friction modifier added. Usually Dexron causes failures quickly, your fluid may have been additized to make a fluid that is not 100% ATF+4 compatible but is close enough to get the job done.

The fluid may have said Dexron III, but it IS possible that if the fine print was read that it was one of the new universal fluids out. ExxonMobil claims their Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which is listed as Dexron III / Mercon V compatiable is also recommended for use in Chryslers. I havent heard any definitive feedback on these new universal fluids, so my recommendation still stands, use ATF+4 ONLY!

Notice to others: This case is EXTRORDINARY, as a rule, our transmissions HATE the wrong fluids. Who knows what kind of damage could be caused over a longer period of time by using a fluid other than ATF+4.


The money you save on the flush and fill, say 30-50 bucks is not worth risking a $2500 transaxle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Notice to others: This case is EXTRORDINARY, as a rule, our transmissions HATE the wrong fluids.

Our Transmissions are also fairly expensive. It's worth it to just use the right fluid and not experiment with something cheaper/more convienent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I got a flush and fill with BP synthetic recently. Shop used to do ATF+4 but said this is cheaper and actually a better fluid. First time I've had the tranny serviced - at 96k miles. We'll see I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
jackal said:
I got a flush and fill with BP synthetic recently. Shop used to do ATF+4 but said this is cheaper and actually a better fluid. First time I've had the tranny serviced - at 96k miles. We'll see I guess.
you could be screwed
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top