DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard through a couple members that ATF +5 is now out. Does anyone have the specs on it?

Is this a truely synthetic fluid?
Is it backwards compatable with 3/4?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hypnos said:
I've heard through a couple members that ATF +5 is now out. Does anyone have the specs on it?

Is this a truely synthetic fluid?
Is it backwards compatable with 3/4?
*if* it as come out.. it probably has something to do with the Mercedes 5-speed transmissions that are going into the new LX vehicles.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
mmmmmmmmm, Mercedes 5-speed, drool!!! I wish the Hemi's had manuals available though :(

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Avenger said:
mmmmmmmmm, Mercedes 5-speed, drool!!! I wish the Hemi's had manuals available though :(
You can get a Hemi Ram with a stick

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Re: Re: Atf +5?

Lafrad said:
*if* it as come out.. it probably has something to do with the Mercedes 5-speed transmissions that are going into the new LX vehicles.
I believe the Mercedes transmission is sealed for life.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think some MB's have a drain plug on the converter too. Wouldn't that be nice?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yea my dad has 453 at the rear wheels 750 iL BMW.
38$ a quart for tranny fluid. even though the trannies sealed some bmw experts say to change it as moisture can get in over time. $ 700 to change fluid. Hey if you can afford the price tag you can afford to maintain it. this car pulls like a raped ape to about 170 miles per hour. use to be the Bosal exhaust show car. 9700 to rebuild top end with high perf parts....
quite a sleeper.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Gorm just went through this whole ATF+5 thing. You might want to search for that thread in the second gen sections. He seemed to experience problems with it. I did a google search and listed some threads of info I had found, but it didn't seem to match with info others had found. So far, to my knowledge and based on that thread, nobody has found a dealership that knows anything about ATF+5...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mike Allen from Popular Mechanics says that atf+5 is now recommended for 2002 and newer DC's. I found one web site that agreed. and I still have 16 quarts of atf+3 (I stocked up a few years back) that I dont know what to do with...... good thing that atf4 is too expensive to stock up on

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
alleycat said:
Mike Allen from Popular Mechanics says that atf+5 is now recommended for 2002 and newer DC's. I found one web site that agreed. and I still have 16 quarts of atf+3 (I stocked up a few years back) that I dont know what to do with...... good thing that atf4 is too expensive to stock up on
What about pre-2002? Some cars have the same tranny (ala LH).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a bit of information for everyone, i work at a Dodge dealer and there is no such thing as ATF+5. According to service manuals all 98 and earlier LH's used ATF+3 and 99 and up uses ATF+4. The new Mercedes tranny in the LX's show using ATF+4 and does have a servicable filter. It's not just the Mercedes tranny that has no dipstick either, we have a Magnum here with a V6 that uses the 42LE tranny and it does not have a dipstick either.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm pretty sure they revised the internals of this incarnation and made it into a RWD. But the sealed design is beyond me, every tranny I've been around in my entire life has had a dipstick. :p

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I CAN understand the no dipstick approach. One engineer told me that his work group guesstimated (don't you love that word) that 90% of all the foreign material that get into a transmission comes in via the dipstick tube.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts