DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a new bumper (plastic) that I want to get painted. Can anyone recommend an AutoBody forum that will give help and recommendations on how to do it?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of Course, I Googled it as well. I joined a few of them. Unlike this one, I haven't had anyone answer my questions yet, or I am still waiting to get authorized to post.
Bill

·
Registered
566 Posts
Several people have asked about painting here and on the 300mclub site the same general tips apply universally such as proper prep, reasonably good equipment, doing some practice painting to learn the settings etc.

If you search for painting howto's or DIY you'll find pretty much what anyone would tell you if not more detailed info with pictures. You can of course search these forums and on the 300mclub.org site's forums. A member just painted some parts, hood and fender I believe, here are some tips he recommended.

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15166

His original thread.
http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15057

·
Registered
836 Posts
DuPont Plas-stick Product line is your friend. Is your bumper raw plastic or does it have some sort of primer. It should have a black primer, in which all you have to do is sand prep and paint. I usually like to wet sand bumper covers with 3M 600 grit sand paper, try not to burn through tough, because anywhere you burn through its a good idea to put some adhesion promoter on those areas. Anyway after sanding all the factory primer texture out, wash the bumper with warm water and a mild soap. After dry, apply needed adhesion promoter, and follow other necessary prepping steps before applying sealer, base and eventually clear. I'm a DuPont guy and have worked with them for about 6 years now, and have had not one filed claim through DuPont with a paint defect. So naturally I recommend Dupont's Plas-stick line for any bare plastics, and for a flex add for the sealer and clear. I'm not going to get technical or anything, but if you have any more questions let me know, I'll be glad to help. Again I'm a DuPont guy, its what I know and use, if you want to use something else, thats fine, but make sure have flex additive at least... good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts