·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
My advice: Don't do it. ATF+4 only.

There aren't many posts on the subject anymore, but a few years ago, there were frequent posts about actual transmission shops using a "universal" fluid that specifically claimed to be suitable for ATF+4 applications, and people would have problems right away, which would clear up as soon as they flushed it and went with ATF+4.

It doesn't have to be Mopar, but it has to labeled as ATF+4 (meaning it has to be certified and licensed by Chrysler) - not just mentioned among others in the small print. It can be Valvoline, Super Tech (Walmart), Castrol, and maybe a couple of other brands (I think NAPA has an ATF+4).

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Flush at your own risk with that supposed substitute! It's ATF+4 or you're Fooked!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I posted this thread, I contacted a local transmission shop, and the owner mirrored the same thing you guys are saying.

He said universal trans fluids have a combination of multi-automaker friction agents, and that's why universal fluids can be labeled as such. He also told of many breakdowns he's had to repair (some cars wouldn't even move) after the car owner installed a universal type fluid.

Thanks much for the valuable info! I was almost set to buy a gallon of the universal stuff, but now I know better.

Any cheap ATF+4 synthetic available?

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
See post no. 3.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See post no. 3.
Thanks, but I didn't see any Super Tech synthetic fluid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of transmission fluid, does it hurt anything if the transmission cooler lines are crossed? Is there a set installation pattern for Chrysler vehicles with radiator tanks mounted on the sides? I guess common sense would say to let trans fluid travel from top to bottom on radiators with side-mounted tanks?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Ronbo, but I was entertaining thoughts about using synthetic ATF+4 this time. It's available in the stores, but at a higher price than non-synthetic fluid.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
You're still confused. The formula for ATF+4 is licensed from Chrysler and is the same no matter the manufacturer or seller. Don't know where your getting this "Synthetic" vs "Non-Synthetic" AT+4 bullshit from? It's either true ATF+4 or some other crap that Yahoos are trying to make you believe is ATF+4. Get a clue!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a link to Valvoline fully synthetic ATF+4.

Not sure where you are coming from, Ronbo. (respectfully)

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Here's my take - and no way to really prove much of it:

See the pdf attachment in post no. 3, and see posts 8 and 10 here: Super Tech ATF+4 ???

I think there were discussions on a few years ago on DI.net about the meaning of synthetic, and whether "Group 3" base oil meets everybody's definition of "synthetic". I think I saw lots of discussions and arguments on www.bitog.com (Bob Is The Oil Guy) about conflicting claims by manufacturers on the subject (Mobil 1, Castrol synthetic, etc.). I think some manufacturers call Group 3 "semisynthetic" and others call it synthetic.

Do Chrysler's licensing requirements require Group 3 base? I think so (not sure). Could Super Tech be Group 3 base to meet the licensing requirements, and they just avoid the controversy by leaving out any mention of synthetic or semisynthetic? Maybe.

So - Chrysler may mention a particular base in the licensing requirements, but supposedly the licensed product is tested to meet certain physical requirements, even if it doesn't mention exact ingredients, if it has very demanding requirements on friction properties and stability at very high temperatures, who cares what it is made of - it meets the performance and stability requirements. Chrysler wrote the spec. and licensing requirements to lock in the important things, what ever they are, to guarantee the results.

Perhaps they only specify results of testing without specifying certain ingredients. I suspect they do some of both.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way, if I drop the pan and change the filter, should I install the pan gasket that comes with a new filter, or make my own with Mopar Silicone Adhesive sealant (or equivalent)? A trusted transmission mechanic (deceased) once told me that he always uses a special RTV product to make pan gaskets with on 1990s model Chryslers instead of using pan gaskets that come with new filters.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Either should work fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts