DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Free* Automatic Headlights on 98 Intrepid Es

Anyone switch the factory headlight switch in their Intrepid for one from a 300m or LHS with the automatic spot. My cars has the automatic climate control with sunlight thingy on the dash. I just wantted to know if it was as easy as getting just a different switch?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
thread moved to 2nd gen section. for future reference, 1st gen is 1993-1997 and 2nd gen is 1998-present (2002). :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
no problem, just trying to keep it tidy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Intrepids and Concorde's that have an alarm and the automatic climate control system can be equipped with auto headlight as well.

The headlight switch communicates with the Body Control Module by using resitive multiplexing (parking lights is signalled by a certain resitance, headlights are signalled by another resitance, fog lights + headlights are signalled by another, etc.)

There are two ways to add this feature: One, you can purchase a 300m or lhs switch with the auto light feature, and replace the stock switch. Alternatively you can modify the stock switch.

The stock switch has the proper resistors to signal auto headlight mode, but it has a stop to prevent being turned to the autoposition, and does not have the labelling on the front. (The auto position is past the off position.) To modify, you would need to use a dremel or something to remove the little stop.

It's NOT an easy process, as the switch is a pain (full of little parts and springs) once it is opened, and you have to use great care to put it back together. In addition, just to get at the switch, you must remove the left instrument bezel between the left edge of the dash and the radio.

The service manual provides step by step instructions to do this, and it should be done with great care.:baaa:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally got an Automatic Headlight switch from a 1999 300m, $25 total ($20 for the item, $5 for shipping). Installed it instantly and tested it and it works great, even turns the fog lights on. I am unoffically laziest person i know.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Where did you order that from?

:)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I am unoffically laziest person i know.
Not exactly, you just modded your car and took time to find the right item at the right price, let alone partially rip off your dash and some wiring :).
I like the sun on feature of my parent's 89!! Oldsmobile cutlass cierra. :) never left them on by accident (although I never left my trep's lights on by accident either.

·
Registered
489 Posts
hey, does that guy have slate leather seats? if so, ask him how much he wants. I NEED LEATHER!

Ok, so I want leather. But I really want leather. :)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Try here, http://www.ranchocpd.com/
When we had our 1994 Chrysler New Yorker I was in a slight fender-bender and needed a new drivers side blinker, and ordered it from them for a cost of a little over $60 at the time. All the dealerships around me wanted $90-140. So i used Aproximately $75 of the insurence money and repaired the who thing my self, pocketing money to buy a newer car with. ($60 for the light, $5 for magic scuff remover (otherwise known as bug and tar remover), $5 for touch out paint, and $5 for rubbing compound. Worked great, when we traded the car in this january, the salesman said he had never seen such a high mileage car in such good condition.

I forgot to say, there is one small downside to the automatic headlights; When the switch is in the 'A' position, the parking lights dont flash when you lock the doors with the factory keyless enrty system, but they will flash if the switch is at the 'O' position.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am curious. What does the automatic setting do ? I am implying from the other posts that it turns the lights on automatically if the light sensor reads that it is dark outside. Am I correct?

How hard was it to get the dash apart and get at the switch?

·
Registered
489 Posts
not hard to take apart the dash. If anyone needs help, I just installed some new gauges, and it involves taking the dash apart. it's just a matter of taking things off in the right order, and not snapping any clips i two. :)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
shipman said:
I am curious. What does the automatic setting do ? I am implying from the other posts that it turns the lights on automatically if the light sensor reads that it is dark outside. Am I correct?
[sidekick voice] yes sir, you are correct!!!! [/sidekick voice]

auto headlight is exactly that, the car does the work for you. Very addictive, I had it on my SHO and can't remember a time I ever turned on my lights manually

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
well....seeing how the RT and the ES have the same switch used from the factory...NO!!!

Just kidding, as long as your car has the OEM fog lights on the headlight switch then it will work. In other words, yes Rich you can get one

I think I know what the next $70 mod will be

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Hey old man... no need to be sarcastic now. ;)

The only reason why I asked was because the first guy that posted here said it might be linked to the auto AC thats exclusive to the ES.

Anyways... yeah its a decent mod. I might get it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It does have something to do with the auto climate control because it shares the same sun sensor! But, if you have the factory keyless entry with alarm, that has the red led, and photoelectric eye on it you will be fine(I think)!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts