DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know how does everyone feel about autostick. I only find it useful when I am stuck in traffic on the interstate where the speed is no more than probably 15mph. It helps me to moderate my speed other than fast braking or riding the brake during heavy traffic. The manual says it helps on gas and can be used for passing. So basically someone explain their use of autostick to me and its usefulness. Thanks in advance
Janeen :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I really only use Autostick as a downshifting method, not from 4th to 1st but from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd, just a single step down. Seems to help ease the pressure on the brakes as well as in cornering. I have tried using it as an accelerator method off the line, but feel letting the tranny do it on its own is quicker. It does help quite a bit when I'm highway driving and need to quickly downshift to pass. I feel more power and response. As for fuel economy I have no idea if it saves or not, have never driven completely in Autostick. My main complaint is after I have been driving on the highway in Autostick and get off, I forget I'm in Autostick and don't realize it until the motor starts growling at me at 4-5k rpm's in 1st! Just have to pay closer attention.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I love autostick!!! :)

It helps when roads are slippery because you can accelerate from stop in second (or third) gear. This helps in eliminating tire spin.

The engine has more power in the higher RPM's. The autostick allows me to stay in the higher RPMs if I desire.

Besides, it's just plan funner to drive in autostick (and yes, funner is a word). :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I agree with the Candyman. I usually use it when I don't feel like excessively using the brakes. It definitely helps in slowing down the car nicely. As for acceleration, I find that the regular way has a nice kickdown and pushes the car well.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T
01 Black Chrysler R/T
Man 'O Man...the car is dirty outside

·
Registered
493 Posts
HELLO

Would you rahter replace brake pads or the tranny. Someone posted on this site that using our Autostick for braking in the worst thing for it.

Trust me, use the Autostick for passing or if you want to wind out your engine without flooring it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Im with Warlord, I use auto stick probably 95% of the time, it is pretty rare for me not to use it. Its just sweet, gearing down to slow down, keepin it high in the RPMs, it just gives you way more control. And for people who complain that it shifts too hard for regular driving, "learn how to use it" I do not have any jerkyness ever, just play with it and you will learn.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I'm another devoted autostick user, by keeping your RPM's in the useable range the autostick gives you the control you need to make quick moves, when you go to full throttle would you rather have an instant surge ahead or would you like to wait for the transmission to kick down? Plus the upshift points in Drive are 6500 at WOT, well past the peak HP,I usually shift at 5500 to get the full benefits the car offers.

Bottom line, ketting the tranny do the work for you is great of you are driving with the wife and kids but if you want all the performance this car can offer you gotta do the work yourself

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've found that the Auto stick is beneficial to gas mileage when your going at speeds in wich your engine naturally wants to be in 2nd, or 3rd....its especially good for when the auto trans wants to be in 2nd...the RPM's seem barely more than idle. This does work...I drove "normal" and then i drove "conservatively" w/ auto stick. Noticeable gain.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I find all these quasi-manual's (other than the F1 ones available in exotics) pretty funny. You can do the exact same thing in a regular automatic: Shift your own gears, start from 2 in snow etc.

Oh and Warlord, I was an English minor in university, "funner" is not a word.

[ October 21, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Talk to any good tranny tech he or she will tell you down shifting the auto tranny all the time is very hard on them. I used to work for a Dodge and Chrysler dealers. The techs all said the trannys that were blown were alot auto sticks that were down shifting to much. Brake pads and rotors are much cheaper than trannys to replace. I rather replace $50.00 pads than $2,400 tranny. My two cents worth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I bought the car the autostick was something to show everyone... wow look you can shift. Of course why would I want to do that? Especially where this is a luxury not a sports car.

Did they drop the autostick for 2002?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:

Oh and Warlord, I was an English minor in university, "funner" is not a word.
It would have been funnier if you said "ain't" instead of "is note". :)

In my book, funner is a word. :D

As for downshifting in Autostick, I let the car do that when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by Tom:
When I bought the car the autostick was something to show everyone... wow look you can shift. Of course why would I want to do that? Especially where this is a luxury not a sports car.

Actually, aren't all new luxury cars coming with their own "autostick" now? I know Lexus has theirs, etc....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know a few of you have done some track time. Has anyone determined if putting the car in 1st on the auto shift and then letting the car shift out at its max rev's is better than leaving it in "D" and doing the same thing? Since the car will not let us exceed a certain rev level I thought maybe we could wring out the max by letting it max out in every gear. I'm going to fool with it today and see if I notice any difference.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: redblurr ]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Read somewhere that dodge was dropping the autostick from the Intrepid for 2002... is that not true?

I don't understand why people want standard transmission on a luxury car... ie the Nissan Maxima... I don't get it at all.

It just seems like manual is a sport car thing... thought my brother had lost his marbles when he bought a corvette with an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
a friend of mine just bought a jetta and it has an "autostick" in it as well, but his is a 5 speed Vs our intrepid's 4 speed.

me, I love to use the autostick, I figure I paid for it, I'll use it, not show it off for the oooh-aaaah factor. but hey, mine looks more like a sports car, so I guess I'm allowed to use it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts