DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar to my last post, I'm looking to upgrade my 2000 trep with 47k miles. It's a 2.7l base with a standard auto transmission.

I've seen that people have autostick swapped their cars, but most if not all of those posts are at least 7-10 years old and don't have any useful info from what I can see.

What I need to know is;

1. Is this swap worth my time and money anyway? I'm trying to get my car to feel sportier and have a more aggressive ride, so would this help with that or just be a money dump?

2. How much would this run me? Assuming I can do this swap myself, how much would parts cost me?

3. What parts/Where to get them? What cars would have this transmission or where would I be able to find a transmission for this?

4. How would I perform the swap? Seeing as this would be my first ever transmission swap and it would be a modified swap as well, does anyone know how I would perform this?

Thanks for all your time!!

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
No transmission swap involved - the TCM manages the behavior of the transmission as to whether it operates as A/S or not - your TCM contains all the firmware to behave both as A/S and not A/S. The instrument cluster installed in the car is either A/S or not, and the TCM detects which type of cluster it is connected to - IOW: the cluster determines whether the car is A/S or not. TCM is ready to operate either way.

The shifter and shifter bezel need to be swapped out for an A/S shifter and bezel for the side-to-side shifter motion when in A/S position. If you can find an A/S Trep in a salvage yard and get the shifter, shifter bezel, and instrument cluster, you'll just need to swap those into your car and make a couple of fairly simple wiring changes (4 wires total).

There are two pins on the TCM connector that are the up-shift and down-shift wires from the A/S switch on the A/S shifter. Those two wires go from the shifter switch, thru C106 (located under the dash), to the TCM. Some non-A/S cars came from the factory with the up-shift and down-shift wires run between C106 and the TCM connector, some did not. You will need to run the two wires from the shifter switch to C106. (You could also bypass C106 and just splice the two wires from the shifter switch wires directly to the TCM connector.)

You will also need to run 12 volts and ground to the shifter switch - so 4 wires total to/from the shifter switch.

The job will be much easier for you to understand the wiring if you get a '00 FSM for the wiring diagrams (section 8W).

Summary:
• Will need A/S Trep cluster (I think from any year will work - I could be wrong about that), shifter (certain years would be drop-in, other years you could make work perfectly by swapping the base from your shifter to the A/S shifter), and shifter bezel (from same color interior as yours if you want it to match yours, so would be limited to the years that that color was made).
• Will need to wire up 4 wires to/from shifter switch: Up- and down-shift wires to TCM, power, and ground
• Will need '00 FSM for wiring diagrams.

You might PM Terry (forum member tgs) for the parts. He's been known to have a stash of parts. He might have some or all. These cars can be hard to find in salvage yards anymore.

The good news for you is that you do not need to do a transmission swap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Summary:
• Will need A/S Trep cluster (I think from any year will work - I could be wrong about that), shifter (certain years would be drop-in, other years you could make work perfectly by swapping the base from your shifter to the A/S shifter), and shifter bezel (from same color interior as yours if you want it to match yours, so would be limited to the years that that color was made).
• Will need to wire up 4 wires to/from shifter switch: Up- and down-shift wires to TCM, power, and ground

You might PM Terry (forum member tgs) for the parts. He's been known to have a stash of parts. He might have some or all. These cars can be hard to find in salvage yards anymore.

[/QUOTE]
damn, thanks so much!
No transmission swap involved - the TCM manages the behavior of the transmission as to whether it operates as A/S or not - your TCM contains all the firmware to behave both as A/S and not A/S. The instrument cluster installed in the car is either A/S or not, and the TCM detects which type of cluster it is connected to - IOW: the cluster determines whether the car is A/S or not. TCM is ready to operate either way.

The shifter and shifter bezel need to be swapped out for an A/S shifter and bezel for the side-to-side shifter motion when in A/S position. If you can find an A/S Trep in a salvage yard and get the shifter, shifter bezel, and instrument cluster, you'll just need to swap those into your car and make a couple of fairly simple wiring changes (4 wires total).

There are two pins on the TCM connector that are the up-shift and down-shift wires from the A/S switch on the A/S shifter. Those two wires go from the shifter switch, thru C106 (located under the dash), to the TCM. Some non-A/S cars came from the factory with the up-shift and down-shift wires run between C106 and the TCM connector, some did not. You will need to run the two wires from the shifter switch to C106. (You could also bypass C106 and just splice the two wires from the shifter switch wires directly to the TCM connector.)

You will also need to run 12 volts and ground to the shifter switch - so 4 wires total to/from the shifter switch.

The job will be much easier for you to understand the wiring if you get a '00 FSM for the wiring diagrams (section 8W).

Summary:

damn, thanks so much! this was super comprehensive lol, honestly expected most of the responses to be half assed. really thankful for your input!! i’ll make sure to dm terry!

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Clarification: Where I said "shifter (certain years would be drop-in, other years you could make work perfectly by swapping the base from your shifter to the A/S shifter)", the A/S shifter can be from any year 2nd gen. (again, later years would need you to swap your shifter base to the A/S shifter (very easy to do) due to a mid-production change in the way the shifter cable sheath attaches to the base). All 300Ms and LHSs are A/S. Treps came both ways. No Concordes came with A/S.

It would help to get the A/S shifter with the switch connector and cut wires to splice to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarification: Where I said "shifter (certain years would be drop-in, other years you could make work perfectly by swapping the base from your shifter to the A/S shifter)", the A/S shifter can be from any year 2nd gen. (again, later years would need you to swap your shifter base to the A/S shifter (very easy to do) due to a mid-production change in the way the shifter cable sheath attaches to the base). All 300Ms and LHSs are A/S. Treps came both ways. No Concordes came with A/S.

It would help to get the A/S shifter with the switch connector and cut wires to splice to.
gotcha, i’ll make sure to check into the shifter thing. thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

heya, so i was looking around and i found a few listings on ebay that might have the stuff i'm after. would any of these fulfill that shifter idea? i've found a few clusters that would work. i'm hoping that the '97 one would work because it has the boot and bezel and stuff, but i might be able to ask the seller for the bezels/boots on the other two. also, i can't seem to find a wiring diagram that would be of any help anywhere, is that me being incompetent or are they genuinely hard to find?

USED 1997 Dodge Intrepid/Automatic Drive Floor Gear Shifter(DRIVERS QUALITY) | eBay

USED 2001 Dodge Intrepid /Automatic Shifter w/Overdrive | eBay

03-04 Chrysler 300m OEM Floor Shifter (Sold Bare) | eBay

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
'97 is 1st gen. I do not know if 1st and 2nd gen shifters are the same/interchangeable - they very well may be the same. (1st gen is pre-'98. 2nd gen is '98 - '04.) From the photo, the 1st link is A/S. Comes with bezel, but pretty sure 1st gen bezel will not fit 2nd gen console.

Your second link doesn't say it is autostick. All our cars are "automatic w/overdrive". That does not mean autostick. You might ask the seller if it is A/S, assuming they know about it and know the difference. IF they know the difference and IF it is A/S and lF they have the bezel, that would be great (even if bezel doesn't match your interior color), but that's probably a long shot.

Your 3rd link shifter will work. As far as the shifter itself, this is the best of the 3 links. You may have to swap the base from your '00 shifter (very easy to do). I forget when they changed the design of the base due to the change in how it attaches to the later-design shifter cable sheath. So - the 300M shifter will work - you may or may not need to swap the base. And yes - you need to also get the bezel unless you cut slots in your bezel for side-to-side shifter movement - would look like crap, but would work until you got the proper bezel. I think the 300M bezel would not fit the Intrepid console, but not 100% certain of that. Bezel from 2nd gen A/S Intrepid would definitely work if you can find one.

Did you ping Terry?

I may be able to provide you with a 2000 FSM (pdf). Remind me later.

Reactions: hazel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'97 is 1st gen. I do not know if 1st and 2nd gen shifters are the same/interchangeable - they very well may be the same. (1st gen is pre-'98. 2nd gen is '98 - '04.) From the photo, the 1st link is A/S. Comes with bezel, but pretty sure 1st gen bezel will not fit 2nd gen console.

Your second link doesn't say it is autostick. All our cars are "automatic w/overdrive". That does not mean autostick. You might ask the seller if it is A/S, assuming they know about it and know the difference. IF they know the difference and IF it is A/S and lF they have the bezel, that would be great (even if bezel doesn't match your interior color), but that's probably a long shot.

Your 3rd link shifter will work. As far as the shifter itself, this is the best of the 3 links. You may have to swap the base from your '00 shifter (very easy to do). I forget when they changed the design of the base due to the change in how it attaches to the later-design shifter cable sheath. So - the 300M shifter will work - you may or may not need to swap the base. And yes - you need to also get the bezel unless you cut slots in your bezel for side-to-side shifter movement - would look like crap, but would work until you got the proper bezel. I think the 300M bezel would not fit the Intrepid console, but not 100% certain of that. Bezel from 2nd gen A/S Intrepid would definitely work if you can find one.

Did you ping Terry?

I may be able to provide you with a 2000 FSM (pdf). Remind me later.
yeah, i checked with terry, he doesn’t have any parts that would work. and would the base be something on the shifter or is that some obscure part i’d have to find? or is that just an unscrew some bolts and pop the new one in the old ones spot? and i might just cut the bezel for now since the other bezels i’m seeing are expensive af 💀
thanks for the input!!

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I just searched my old posts about the shifter cable design change - the change was a mid-production-year 2002 change - vehicle build change date was 5/27/02. But really doesn't matter since you would either have to swap the shifter base (if different) or not (if same).

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
yeah, i checked with terry, he doesn’t have any parts that would work. and would the base be something on the shifter or is that some obscure part i’d have to find? or is that just an unscrew some bolts and pop the new one in the old ones spot? and i might just cut the bezel for now since the other bezels i’m seeing are expensive af 💀
thanks for the input!!
So any shifter you get includes the base. Attached with (IIRC) 4 screws/bolts.

so my current 2000 shifter cable would work?
Yes. Plug-n-play with the pre-mid-2002-production year shifter base.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Don't forget that you need the shifter A/S switch connector with pigtails for splicing the 4 wires.

Reactions: JordanS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't forget that you need the shifter A/S switch connector with pigtails for splicing the 4 wires.
so i’ve been basically able to follow you up to here, it’s 1 am and i’m not 100% sure what you mean by this. is there a separate button or something i’d need to get in order to put everything together? sorry if this is stupid, i’m only about a month into cars and a lot of that knowledge has nothing to do with autostick lmao

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
so i’ve been basically able to follow you up to here, it’s 1 am and i’m not 100% sure what you mean by this. is there a separate button or something i’d need to get in order to put everything together? sorry if this is stupid, i’m only about a month into cars and a lot of that knowledge has nothing to do with autostick lmao
So - when in A/S mode, you bump the shifter knob to the right to order an up shift, and you bump it to the left to order a down shift.

There is a module that is an electronic magnetic (Hall-effect type) sensor that we're calling the "switch". Actually there are two Hall-effect sensors built into the switch module. The module is "U" shaped, and when the stick is pulled back into the A/S position, one sensor is to the right of the stick, the other to the left. But the sensors aren't close enough to the stick to detect its presence. However, when you bump the stick to the right, the sensor on that side detects the metal stick and the sensor's output changes state (I think goes from 5 volts to 0 volts), sending an up shift signal to the TCM, and then a miracle happens and the transmission shifts up one gear. Similar happens when the stick is bumped to the left to create a downshift.

So when you buy an A/S shifter, the switch is mounted inside. What I was saying is that you need to get the connector for that switch module from a junker to plug into the switch module. Rather than get the complete harness (which you could do) it's overall easier to just snip the wires with plenty of length (typically 6" to a couple if feet) to splice to. To sound cool, everybody calls any snipped connector wires for the purpose of splicing "pigtails".

I mentioned earlier that some of our vehicles without A/S came from the factory with the unused up- and down-shift wires already installed between the TCM and C106. One of the Concordes I had already had those two wires, my other Concorde didn't. IF your Trep does not have those two wires already installed, you need to get a couple of pigtail wires from the TCM connector from a junker to insert into your TCM connector to splice to. They don't have to be those two wires, but have to be from that connector to have the correct type of terminals to fit the connector. (If they aren't the same two wires, they just won't be the same colors, but who cares about that - they just need to work.)

Is this all sounding like too much to do? If so, keep in mind that you were willing to do a complete transmission swap when you started this quest. This can't be harder than doing that. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I'm going to correct something that I said earlier that may have been wrong. I think that the base, besides containing the correct bracket that attaches to the earlier or later version of the shifter cable sheath also contains the pivot pin that the lower end if the shifter stick attaches to (so the stick itself is actually part of the base). On non-A/S shifters, it only pivots front to back for selecting Park, Neutral, Drive, etc. In the A/S shifter, the stick end also pivots right and left.

So - IF you get a pre-2002 A/S shifter, it will be plug-n-play in your car for A/S (you just need to also have the A/S switch connector with pigtails) and will be compatible with your shifter cable. What I said earlier about swapping the bases was strictly about making the shifter compatible with whichever version of the shifter cable your car has, aside from the question of A/S vs. non-A/S. IOW, I had a brain fart.

The shifter in the 3rd link in your earlier email would be right for your car since it is 2001 (pre-2002).

A few years ago when the salvage yards had a plentiful selection of these cars, it would have been a lot easier for you to just go to a local U-Pull-It and get everything you needed, down to the bezel of the right color and the shifter switch and TCM pigtails, all in one trip. As you can see, it's much more difficult now unless you happen to stumble across the right car in a salvage yard or find an enthusiast with a stash of parts to sell you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to correct something that I said earlier that may have been wrong. I think that the base, besides containing the correct bracket that attaches to the earlier or later version of the shifter cable sheath also contains the pivot pin that the lower end if the shifter stick attaches to (so the stick itself is actually part of the base). On non-A/S shifters, it only pivots front to back for selecting Park, Neutral, Drive, etc. In the A/S shifter, the stick end also pivots right and left.

So - IF you get a pre-2002 A/S shifter, it will be plug-n-play in your car for A/S (you just need to also have the A/S switch connector with pigtails) and will be compatible with your shifter cable. What I said earlier about swapping the bases was strictly about making the shifter compatible with whichever version of the shifter cable your car has, aside from the question of A/S vs. non-A/S. IOW, I had a brain fart.

The shifter in the 3rd link in your earlier email would be right for your car since it is 2001 (pre-2002).

A few years ago when the salvage yards had a plentiful selection of these cars, it would have been a lot easier for you to just go to a local U-Pull-It and get everything you needed, down to the bezel of the right color and the shifter switch and TCM pigtails, all in one trip. As you can see, it's much more difficult now unless you happen to stumble across the right car in a salvage yard or find an enthusiast with a stash of parts to sell you.
gotcha, makes sense. and yeah, i’d love to just go salvage some parts, but this car is older than i am, so…

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So - when in A/S mode, you bump the shifter knob to the right to order an up shift, and you bump it to the left to order a down shift.

There is a module that is an electronic magnetic (Hall-effect type) sensor that we're calling the "switch". Actually there are two Hall-effect sensors built into the switch module. The module is "U" shaped, and when the stick is pulled back into the A/S position, one sensor is to the right of the stick, the other to the left. But the sensors aren't close enough to the stick to detect its presence. However, when you bump the stick to the right, the sensor on that side detects the metal stick and the sensor's output changes state (I think goes from 5 volts to 0 volts), sending an up shift signal to the TCM, and then a miracle happens and the transmission shifts up one gear. Similar happens when the stick is bumped to the left to create a downshift.

So when you buy an A/S shifter, the switch is mounted inside. What I was saying is that you need to get the connector for that switch module from a junker to plug into the switch module. Rather than get the complete harness (which you could do) it's overall easier to just snip the wires with plenty of length (typically 6" to a couple if feet) to splice to. To sound cool, everybody calls any snipped connector wires for the purpose of splicing "pigtails".

I mentioned earlier that some of our vehicles without A/S came from the factory with the unused up- and down-shift wires already installed between the TCM and C106. One of the Concordes I had already had those two wires, my other Concorde didn't. IF your Trep does not have those two wires already installed, you need to get a couple of pigtail wires from the TCM connector from a junker to insert into your TCM connector to splice to. They don't have to be those two wires, but have to be from that connector to have the correct type of terminals to fit the connector. (If they aren't the same two wires, they just won't be the same colors, but who cares about that - they just need to work.)

Is this all sounding like too much to do? If so, keep in mind that you were willing to do a complete transmission swap when you started this quest. This can't be harder than doing that. 🤷‍♂️
yeah, the thing with this as opposed to a transmission swap is that i know how transmissions work lmao, plus this is much more specific for wiring than it is mechanically if that makes sense. i’ll look around and make sure that i can find everything, if not is it alright if i pm you to see if you can find a switch for me?

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
yeah, the thing with this as opposed to a transmission swap is that i know how transmissions work lmao, plus this is much more specific for wiring than it is mechanically if that makes sense. i’ll look around and make sure that i can find everything, if not is it alright if i pm you to see if you can find a switch for me?
Maybe you mean the switch connector/pigtails, as the switch itself comes with the shifter assembly. In either case, I don't have any inside curves on parts for these cars. As should be obvious, I am very willing to help with time and info., but I don't own one of these cars anymore. Fact is, if Terry doesn't have it, I don't know of anyone else who has any parts.

You might search on some major parts on www.car-part.com (bound the search by your state, region, or distance to cut down on number of hits) just to identify any LH vehicle inventory in a yard near you so you can visit them to look for what they consider low-value/throw-away but to-you necessary parts like suitable bezel and the TCM and shifter switch pigtails. Or try cold calling some local yards. You might luck out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe you mean the switch connector/pigtails, as the switch itself comes with the shifter assembly. In either case, I don't have any inside curves on parts for these cars. As should be obvious, I am very willing to help with time and info., but I don't own one of these cars anymore. Fact is, if Terry doesn't have it, I don't know of anyone else who has any parts.

You might search on some major parts on www.car-part.com (bound the search by your state, region, or distance to cut down on number of hits) just to identify any LH vehicle inventory in a yard near you so you can visit them to look for what they consider low-value/throw-away but to-you necessary parts like suitable bezel and the TCM and shifter switch pigtails. Or try cold calling some local yards. You might luck out.
gotcha, i thought you meant that the switch was a separate part. i can probably wire it myself so that’s fine, i just meant that i wasn’t sure about the switch connector or anything like that. does the connector need to be an intrepid/300 specific one or?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts