DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

My first post here. I have a 2002 with 75k plus miles. What is the average life expectantcy before things start going south? Haven't done anything above and beyond as far as preventative, but would like to start.

I just replaced the water pump and it got me thinking...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I have 133,750 on my '02 SE. Still good as new. Also sold my '99 SE with 162,200 and it was still good as new. I plan to have my '02 for well over 200k, so we shall see...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
cant really go by me but i just hit 26,000 miles and the only thing i did was preventive maintenance and changed oil every 4-5 months. But the car is 11 yrs old and starter and alt is original. only thing changed on car is oil, tranny lines,battery, brakes, serpintine belt,air filter,couple of pcv hoses,vacuum lines. everything else is still orig. but like i said everything is 11 yrs old. not that much wear on it.

car is a 95 concorde 3.3l, 26,000 miles

·
Registered
467 Posts
depends on the motor. out of the 2nd gen motors (2.7, 3.2, 3.5), the 2.7 is a piece of rod-bearing-spinning sheeeite.

on my 3.2 (2000), I currently have 272,000 miles. About $1000 was spent on it since 200,000 miles in maintainence, it's still going strong and costing me nothing to maintain, it's not like parts are falling off left and right. (The problem was a stuck EGR valve, my parents took the car to a local shop who started guessing parts at the problem and parts cost plus labor added up. I work with a guy who did 22 years of work at Chrysler, had they let me taken it to him it should have been about 200 in parts and labor even with a big tip.)

All depends on the motor, and how you drive. 2 hour ride down the highway early in the morning and late at night for me, about 160 miles each way, no traffic I get in the fast lane and set the cruise ~75.

I might have to do an A/C compressor clutch soon, sounds like it's going, and rear shocks possibly, we'll see. Should be around 200 again in parts, I'll do the work.

I figure if I spend less than what new car payments would be on it in maintainence every year (figure 200 month x 12 months = 2400), then it's worth keeping it. If the motor ever goes, I'll jump for a 3.5, body still has no rust and perfect inside and out.

J

·
0 Posts
1993 with lotsa miles, changed tranny for 2001 intrepid tranny after 120K miles.

(Car went thru 4 different drivers prior to that tranny job.)

That's the only work done. :)

Expect a lot from that car.
You will see well beyond 250K miles. At least.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
50km here.... no problems.... the only think i have to get checked out are my catalytic converters or thats what i think they are. They make horrible sounds when the car cools down, it sounds like someone is cutting through sheet metal.

It may just be normal but i hear it very often and its just too LOUD IMO...

anybody know about the issue? ITs thse 2 pipes with oxygen sensors in them, you see them on both sides of the engine.

As far as the tranny goes, no issues but its still young and i only tow a jet ski every so often.

Ciprian

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I just hit 200,000 miles this weekend. We have had the car since it had 32,000 on it. it is a 95 with the 3.3. So expect over 200,000 out of it. There is a member with almost 500,000 on there's

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
You guys drive WAY too much. I've reduced my driving on my Intrepid by quite a bit in the last couple years. I'm up to almost 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
^ OMG.....and it's newer than mine. The ONLY reason I have so many km's on my car is because I go to far away meets (Chicago x 10 (or so) and Carlisle).

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Avenger said:
^ OMG.....and it's newer than mine...
Car did the Toronto - Detroit - Auburn Hills loop twice a week for 3yrs.
95%+ hwy mileage with brief case for a passenger.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A lot of things will factor in to how long a car can last you. The obvious is how well you take care of it. A lot of other things are out of your control, like climate. Do you live in a colder cliamte where it takes longer to warm up? Or areas where there's snow and thus salt on the roads? Or coastal states, like Florida, where the salt water will affect it? You can take a driving style like me, where I am mostly highway, and brakes will last me for several years. But if you do a lot of stop-n-go city, then they won't. Same is true for the exhaust and other components prone to rusting and rotting out. On the other hand, stop-n-go will be easier on the tires, whereas my 17K miles per year driving wipes out a set of 40K mile tires in just 2 years!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you bought it used, there really is no way to tell. Many people who lease cars tend to skimp on the preventative maintenance. The car gets turned in 3 years later with between 36 and 45 thousand miles and looks great after the dealer cleans and polishes it.

Problem is, if the fluids have not been changed according to schedule the engine and transmission may have suffered premature wear. Combustion by-products can be corrosive and will have a detrimental effect on bearings over time. Galvanic corrosion can occur within the water jackets and radiator if the coolant is not flushed as needed. Worse yet, a backyard mechanic may flush the cooling system and fill with super-hard water from their garden hose. The list goes on but you get the idea.

If the car has been properly maintained, I see no reason you won't see 150K+ miles on the drivetrain.

As far as the 2.7 being a turd, I don't really believe that. One of my distributors ran Intrepids and Concordes for 4 years. All were 2.7 and all had at least 140K miles on the original engines. The beauty of company cars is that a fleet manager usually monitors maintenance an makes sure everything gets done on schedule. If anything, I would say the 2.7 is less forgiving of poor maintenance/hard driving. Still, I'm glad my Concorde has the 3.2 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
198K on a '96 3.3. starting to use a little oil, like qt/1500 miles. No major problems-starter, all tie rod ends replaced, struts, O2 sensor, A/C transducer. Total repairs in almost 200K amount to about $1800-$2000. Now needs trans oil & filter changed; expect to drive it another 50K. I drive gently, lots of highway miles, so that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2001 3.2L with 220,000 km's. No problems yet (knock on wood)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts