DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my car is a '98 Intrepid 2.7 with 135,000 miles and I am trying to love my car but it doesnt love me back :(

Lately I have been getting what is like a ticking noise that makes me think its the lifters, but it sounds rather loud almost like a diesel engine sound. It is not present when the car is cold on fresh start, but within 5 minutes it is ticking away and wont go away until i turn off the car. It feels the same as smooth and powerful as before so i pray its not engine damage. Oil is fine just got it changed recently to see if that helped but nope. They used whatever oil it said on the Engine oil specs on my oil cap. Any ideas? Should I worry for the life of my car and my money? Thanks everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
You've gotten an exceptional 2.7,since it's lasted that many miles!
If this ticking is in the front of the engine,and comes in after warm-up, I would suspect the cam chain.They are known to stretch, and contact block casing. Changing the chain, idlers,and water pump (driven by camchain) would extend your engine's life.
OR...upgrade to a 3.2/3.5- Probably same money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Rod bearings at work. Welcome the dead 2.7 group. Mine did the same. They said it was a lifter and found out it was DOA. If your lucky you might be able the change the bearing and sell the thing to some other poor soul before it starts again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
Bingo! You're about to spin a rod bearing...just like mine finally did 2 weeks ago after 142k miles! :biggrin: Mine was lightly knocking for several weeks...never got louder...only knocked after it was warm... It finally let go on me coming off the freeway. I stopped at a light, all was fine...light knocking...nothing too major. As soon as I touched the throttle to pull away froom the light, the bearing let loose and this beautiful squealing, knocking came forth from the bowels of my mighty 2.7! I was about 1/2 mile from home, so I hobbled it the rest of the way and parked it in the garage, and got online to look for a 3.2l to transplant. I found a local 2.7 with 25K miles from a freshly wrecked '03 that I just couldn't pass up (read: CHEAP!!), so I'll be swapping that in this weekend instead. I'm getting rid of the car next year anyway....

So...to make a long story short, start looking for a motor or another car. You're about to lose yours. Sorry to give the bad news, but it's kind of common...especially with the number of miles...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your support. So my car has come to an end. What can I do to extend the life, without spending half a rebuild, someone mentioned replacing the rod bearing. How much longer would the car last if I do this. Just my luck, since i have lots of mods in it. I'm gonna have to sell it as is to someone, even when it dies the amount of mods nearly equals the value of it. how much could it go for? no dents, PIAA plasma blue lights, great interior condition, no rips or cracks. is it worth selling it with my zenetti 18' rims or should i just slap the stock hubcaps back on? Thanks guys and I am now a sad man. Most imports last longer than this, very dissapointing. It was a great car.
 

·
Mopar or No Car
Joined
·
7,869 Posts
megamix92114 said:
Thank you for your support. So my car has come to an end. What can I do to extend the life, without spending half a rebuild, someone mentioned replacing the rod bearing. How much longer would the car last if I do this. Just my luck, since i have lots of mods in it. I'm gonna have to sell it as is to someone, even when it dies the amount of mods nearly equals the value of it. how much could it go for? no dents, PIAA plasma blue lights, great interior condition, no rips or cracks. is it worth selling it with my zenetti 18' rims or should i just slap the stock hubcaps back on? Thanks guys and I am now a sad man. Most imports last longer than this, very disappointing. It was a great car.
Don't go all dark on just on a couple of opinions over the net. Take it to a good mechanic and have him look at it! I'm not saying these guys are wrong - they may very well be right. But you could experience the same noise from an oil path being partly clogged and not getting enough oil to the lifters (the oil gets thicker as it gets warmer and won't go past the obstruction as well). Have you taken everyone's advise and started using Mobil1 or Amsoil? Those oils will keep the oil paths in your engine clean instead of clogging up with gunk.

In any case have the engine checked out by a professional ...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
Good advice. Get it checked out either way.

We should start a poll...I'm sticking with the rod knock/spun bearing theory. Anyone else wanna ante up?! lol! Keep us posted! Maybe time to do a transplant!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
In2Deep said:
Good advice. Get it checked out either way.

We should start a poll...I'm sticking with the rod knock/spun bearing theory. Anyone else wanna ante up?! lol! Keep us posted! Maybe time to do a transplant!
im going with sticky lifters from sludge. either way its going to seize up :)

i have 5 bucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool

So my car will be taken to the shop but not until monday morning. Would sea foam in the meant time if it is clogged oil? Its driving me nuts because the car is so solid smooth like a new car no shaking or anything and has the same amount of power. Im worried as I am in need of saving money. need to move out. Thanks again for your interest, ill keep you informed on how it broke down because i have a feeling it will. :grim:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
Now remember...all this is based on the information you've given us here. I haven't heard it for myself, so I'm just guessing based on my own experience and from what you've told us...

If it's already knocking, and it's a bearing, Sea Foam will do you no good as the damage is already done. If it's an oil starvation issue like D76G12 suggests, then it may eventually help get rid of the knock once oil pressure is back to that journal, but chances are the bearing(s) will be damaged already as well. It will take some time for the Sea Foam to take care of that problem, and if it's knocking that badly already, I wouldn't drive it that much. Let us know what you find out Monday! Good luck!
 

·
Mopar or No Car
Joined
·
7,869 Posts
In2Deep said:
Now remember...all this is based on the information you've given us here. I haven't heard it for myself, so I'm just guessing based on my own experience and from what you've told us...

If it's already knocking, and it's a bearing, Sea Foam will do you no good as the damage is already done. If it's an oil starvation issue like D76G12 suggests, then it may eventually help get rid of the knock once oil pressure is back to that journal, but chances are the bearing(s) will be damaged already as well. It will take some time for the Sea Foam to take care of that problem, and if it's knocking that badly already, I wouldn't drive it that much. Let us know what you find out Monday! Good luck!
I couldn't agree more ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had some guy from my work who was a former engine rebuild specialist with regular and diesel engines look at my car. He heard it after 5 minutes of idle and minor driving back to park, then the tick came along, listened to bottom and top of engine and told me that it is 95% chance a rod knock. He told me to get rid of the car, unless I really like it then drive it as much under 3000 rpms's as possible and it could last for at least another year or so if I'm lucky. What are my options here, do you HAVE to do a full rebuild or is there something else I can do. How much longer will this last if I do baby it and put STP treatment in it. He said put Lucas instead of STP but whatever. I couldnt ask him anymore questions as I had to get back from my break. Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
IF it is a rod knock, don't count on it lasting long. I was able to "baby" mine along for about 4-5 weeks tops before the bearing finally spun. It's not really something you can predict. Mine had the same knock the whole time...never got louder...always loudest at 2400 rpm and up...quietest under load. Mine happened to die pulling away from a stoplight after coming off the freeway. I'd driven 200+ miles that same weekend at freeway speeds. When I pulled away from the light, I barely accelerated, and that was all she wrote!

You DO have a few options.
1. BEST IDEA!!
Find a 3.2 or 3.5 to swap in. There are some great threads on here that can guide you in doing this.

2. GOOD IDEA!!
Find a used low mileage 2.7 on eBay. I've seen a couple as low as 25-28k miles for around $1500 lately.

3. POOR IDEA!!
Buy a remanufactured 2.7. EXPENSIVE!!!

4. BAD IDEA!!
Have the motor rebuilt. EXPENSIVE!!

5. Sell the car as is and eat the loss...not recommended....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey quick question. Is it possible to inspect the bearings without having to take out the engine? Example taking off the oil pan and getting in from underneath. I ask because I want to inspect the bearings, I real feel that I can get another year with this engines overall condition. I think the bearing just smeared or whatever you call it and hopefully not damaging where it sits or whatever (jounal?) because I had low oil one time. Someone I know will do me the favor for a tip if it is accesible without hauling engine out. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
Normally i'd suggest the cheapest fix, then sell it. But seeing as you have some mods in there, and obviously love the car, i'd be looking for a 3.2 or 3.5 for it, and you'll end up with a better car than you ever had :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
You could probably pull the pan and a rod cap to inspect your bearings, but the first thing I'd do is drain the oil and take a good close look at it. Most likely, you're going to see lots of real fine pieces of metal. If the rod is knocking, then the damage is probably already done, and the bearing(s) is/are shot and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, it's not just as simple as putting new bearings in. Once it's been knocking, there's also more than likely damage to the crank journal a well. You'll need a new or reground crank to go along with your new bearings. So...long story short, yes, you can inspect it without pulling the motor,but, you won't be able to fix it properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
DodgeyAussie said:
Normally i'd suggest the cheapest fix, then sell it. But seeing as you have some mods in there, and obviously love the car, i'd be looking for a 3.2 or 3.5 for it, and you'll end up with a better car than you ever had :D

so your the l;emon seller. you sob :scrambles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, i was tempted to sell it as well, but thats not cool selling a car before it toasts. We'll give it a look in the oil of shavings. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
So...what's the diagnosis? I've got 5 bucks riding on this? Rod bearing?

I just responded to your e-mail.... Hope it helps.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top