DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've washed the car many many times...tried scraping it off with my fingernail...but still, just behind the front wheels and the back of the car (back bumper and trunk) are speckled with little tiny rust spots...
i've heard to use a claybar to remove these...anyone else have these?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
If the rust specks are not under your paint, but embedded in the topcoat, a claybar should pull them out. Just make sure to wash the areas really good before doing it and follow the directions on whatever claybar you get.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
For your particular problem you want a bar. Liquid <anything> you have to smear around on top of the paint - anything that it knocks out of the paint(rust particles in your case) will get smeared around along with the liquid, marring your finish. The clay bar embeds the stuff into the bar keeping it off your paint

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
Wow! that's some long distance diagnosis. You could tell that all the way from Nova Scotia?

Hey Great White - I got this pain in my left leg can you tell me what it is?

Sure it's in your left.....ummm...... leg?

:frenzy:

I've got a stone white. It gets this crrap over it all the time. Looks like rust but it will come off with varsol and lots of rubbing or easily with the caly bar products. The clue is he has "rust flecks" on his rear bumper. Last time I checked, plastic doesn't rust............

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
04IntrepidSXT said:
I am under the assumption that rockst*r is sharp enough to recognize road tar. The clay bar should take care of it either way
it actually kinda looks like road salt might've sprayed up there in the winter. darn, i was JUST at autozone yesterday and should've picked up a claybar from them. :twak:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Plastic doesn't rust, BUT...brake dust and rail dust does.

If you have contaminants stuck into the surface of your paint they can rust and create small little rust speckles. A good medium or agressive claybar will remove them no problem.

It's a good idea to claybar every so often so this kind of thing doesn't happen. When a car is shipped by train, the rail dust (little shards of metal) from the tracks can settle on the car. The same with brake dust. Normal washing won't remove the little shards of metal that make up the dust as they've become embedded in your topcoat.

I'm thinking (since the areas are right behind the wheels) that this is from brake dust. Heck, if the car has been driven during winter it could be metal shavings from the snow plow's blade.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
rockst*r said:
holy hell, how'd i miss that one?
You missed it cause Mr. White edited his post!!! we all know the bumpers are plastic. I assume you say rust because the specks are reddish brown? tar, metal, boogers, the clay bar will square it away.

And Keith UR PHONE SUCKS

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
You missed it cause Mr. White edited his post!!! we all know the bumpers are plastic. I assume you say rust because the specks are reddish brown? tar, metal, boogers, the clay bar will square it away.

And Keith UR PHONE SUCKS

Not quite.......

I always seem to have to edit my posts for spelling.........

His reference to how did I miss that one was about his bumper being plastic, not that I wrote it.

As I said already, clay bar. It's tar flecks or raod crap, they'll almost look yellow. Happens after winter, mostly, bit you can get it anytime.

By the way 04, what's your issue here? The guy has something on his paint, the clay bar will take it off. End of issue. You trying to start something?

Chill man, nothing here about you, unless you make it so..........

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just keep in mind that not all claybars are created equal. If you find that your claybar isn't working or is taking too many passes then you need a more agressive clay. Use plenty of clay lubricant or you'll dull your finish.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've found the Meg's smooth surface clay isn't very agressive. You may have to scrub like a sumbitch, but it could work.

If all else fails, you can move up to more aggressive clay until you find one that works.

For instance, this one next: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/AUT_5074.JPG

And for a final haymaker: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/PurpleHeavyCutClay.jpg

I linked these from: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Clay Bars.htm

I'd have just linked to the pictures directly but they're huge.

Give the meg's smooth surface that you have a go and give it a few passes. If you feel that it's okay with the amount of work you have to do, then you're good to go.

Remember one thing...if you drop the clay bar on the ground THROW IT AWAY. It'll pick up grit that you don't want to scrub on your paint.

Edit: Just remember to keep the surface very well lubricated. I've used clay before to "wetsand" touch-up paint that was applied too thickly. Regardless of what anyone tells you or what you read remember that detailing clay is an abrasive. It does not grab onto or stick to contaminants, it basically "breaks" them off for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bleh...the meg's clay only takes off the tar...i will for sure look into those more aggressive clays there...hopefully i can get the "rusty" specks off.

...on another note, i bought some of that tire paint stuff...so the letters on my tires are being painted yellow...

should i post pics of the "rusty" specks?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
rockst*r said:
should i post pics of the "rusty" specks?
I don't know what for. You might want to find a professional detail shop(not one of those wash and wipes) and have them evaluate this contamination. They may have seen it before and know of a solution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts