DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem going through brakes? I seem to go through brakes and rotors every year (or slightly less). I was wondering if there was a BIG BRAKE upgrade or something that I could perform on my car. And yes, I do drive my car hard (I'm constantly on the gas, and then moving to the brake, then gas again).

---------------------------------
Stock 97' Intrepid 3.5L
Air restrictor removed
-Considering selling car, so gimme some hop-up ideas so that I don't... ; )

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only thing is the stillen x-drilled rotor and pad sets.. I'm thinking of picking up a set myself as its nearing new brakes time..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a website or part numbers? I would be interested in getting a set. How about a rear disc conversion. Do you know of anything in the works, or if anything would fit?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had a problem with my brakes as well, I have a 2nd generation though. But I am also very hard on the car, Im already through tires.. I did that after 40,000 kms. and new brakes and rotors at 60,000.

·
Registered
533 Posts
60,000 miles on a set of pads and rotors is not bad I think. Also 40,000 for the crappy Goodyears they put on mine from the factory is very good. Around my tire shop we call them oneyears because of their "long" life. Don't know if they put the same ones on still or not. As for the rear swap do a search for rear brake conversion or check out. Towards the end of that page someone mentions rear brake conversion.
web page

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: jnutz ]

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Who needs brakes? I happen to prefer the pedal on the right. :) You can just run into things in order to stop. Second thought, we wouldn't want to damge these beautiful cars. Hehe, that reminds me. There's a guy I know who's car isn't powerful enough to do a burnout conventionally. So his method is, run into a pole, and then stand on the gas. HEHEHE. This has to be one of the funniest sites I have ever seen. :) :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
my 97 sport came with michelins on it, not goodyears. it's a sport....does anyone else have a trep that came with michelins?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
eeek. I can replace my rotors and pads 4 times before those are paid off...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
The R/T comes with Michelin Pilots! :) Damn good tire!
The motorsports R/T's come with GoodYear Eagle LS's

·
Registered
587 Posts
The rear drum to disc conversion kits are very expensive. I called stillen and apparently, they do not have a kit for our car as I have been told. Aparently a company called Winwood makes them, but again we are looking at 1500 bucks at least...better to bleed your lines, put in all new brake fluid, get some new shoes, drums, and a new automatic adjustment kit. That should stop you almost as well as disc brakes...unless you think you are a race car driver...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I go through brakes and tires like mad. Often less than 15,000 miles on a set of tires. I've found that if you get a good set of rotors and run carbon metallic pads, you get a hell of a lot more stopping power, and not much more wear. I reccomend the carbon metallic pads from Performance friction.

Scott

·
Registered
436 Posts
I still don't see all the brake wear on my 95 that everyone else sees. I went down to the local parts store, bought whatever the cheapest rotor was, bought the lifetime pads, and I've had that for 2 years and probably 35,000 miles with no warping or any problems. You may laugh, but for tires, I went over to Fleet Farm, bought me a set of the Duralon Touring tires, never had a problem. Yeah there probably no where near top of the line, but they wear nicely and they were fairly cheap. I think they are a little harder tire (like michelins) so they are a little louder, but that don't bother me.

Hey, at least our cars don't come with Firestone tires!

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Mopar4U ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i'll say it again, my firestones are excellent tires. the closest i've come to any tire problems is when i picked up a nail. i caught it though, so 10 bucks and a patch and all is well again.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
Originally posted by CTRallyRacer:
Do you have a website or part numbers? I would be interested in getting a set. How about a rear disc conversion. Do you know of anything in the works, or if anything would fit?

its funny cause my 95 standard intrepid came with rear discs.. guess i'm lucky..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts