DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer today to get the oil changed, TCM PCM update & get the tires rotated. Left the dealer & less than a mile away the motor acts like it want's to shutdown. Almost like the speed limiter was kicking on & off at 40mph. Turns out its the Cam sensor. It wasn't sending any signal to the PCM so the computer didn't know how to time the engine. Dealer says they can't find a replacement locally & they have to order one. The car won't be ready until :( friday. So I have to live without my baby until then. I did see MOPARMANS car there, a least I think it was his. I told the mechanic to take the sensor out of Moparmans :D "he won't mind"!!! The dealer was cool though. I don't have the extended warranty that gives you the rental car but they gave me one anyway.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hey Redblurr, sorry to hear about your cam sensor but PLEASE don't take mine !!!

My wife took it in for an oil change / tire rotation, I guess if I make it to 95 I'm ok, huh ?

I also want that Ram truck diecast. You know it's funny, I asked them to flash the tranny too.

We're getting the same service, I just hope I don't get the cam sensor crap on the way home.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I called today to schedule my 12k maintenance (going in friday) and I mentioned the TCM update. The service rep said it's only if you're having problems with hard downshifting. I've heard otherwise here. Anyone got the latest on this? :confused:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm with Rapid Transit- I asked my dealer about it and he said there are no updates, he even showed me the list on the computer and IT showed no updates available.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Rapid Transit which dealer did you go to? I took mine last month to Brookdale Dodge and. They did ask if the tranny was down shifting hard. I said no but it did shift funny some times and they did flash it. It does shift better now more crisp up and down shifts.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I called Larry Reid's White Bear Dodge where I bought the car. I understand that not all cars of the same model need the flash, but I want them to run it to check. Besides, it may not help to have the most current software if nothing is wrong, but it shouldn't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanic told me that I was up to date on the PCM/TCM. Moparman, I cut you a break and let you keep your sensor I hope your sevice worked out better than mine. I guess I could be glad it happened near the dealer. It was kind of shock to pull in & see your car there since I'm not used to seeing any others Msports around. I hope they call me today to tell me its ready!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is the update only for R/T's ? I have an ES with the 3.2L & Autostick. I am taking it in for a few minor things next week and would like to know if I should have the update done as well. My tranny does shift hard but I just attributed it to "this ain't your old Oldsmobile". ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I remember this is a VIN specific update so it could be that you need it. Get them to check on it when you go to the dealer. No harm in asking.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hey Redblurr, they wouldn't do a tranny flash - said there wasn't one.

I wasn't real happy but I guess we're not the only ones to get that answer.

Did have them add the anti-foam.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is it with CAM sensors, my 2002 3.5 with 2500 miles threw the magical engine light, and guess what got the dreaded P0340 code, cam sensor. Talked with the head tech at the dealership, and apparently these were supplied by two different suppliers, and he said all the failures are from the one company. I have another code on mine P0335, they are still looking into this one. This code was not listed in the how to area, so once I fine out what it is I will post. Apparently it is a 2002 code.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the old "good news-bad news" call today. Good news- "We have the new CAM SENSOR".
Bad news- "The PCM is fried and they are on BACK ORDER!!!!!!!!"

This may take up to 2 weeks to get a new one. I nearly choked. I told the dealer that if that was the case the plant would not be building Intrepids so you better come up with a better story than that. They are escalating to DC. We'll see...............

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Originally posted by moparman:
Did have them add the anti-foam
so I guess this answers the question of will anit-foam void the warranty. If the dealer will do the work then it's safe

Anti-foam is still the best $5 mod for your car, 2 ounces makes a lot of improvement

I did three ounces and the third makes no improvement, stick with two bottles

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Joekd, I took your (and all the other guys) advice for the tranny anti-foam. I never thought about it possibly voiding my
warranty, Geez it's a mopar fluid. I wasn't at the dealer (wife took it in) but they never mentioned anything except it's a good thing to do.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I think there are quite a few of us who hae added the anti-foam. I actually used it when the Ram truck guys started telling me how great it is

here's the big question..how much did the dealer charge to pour two ounces of fluid into your tranny?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts