DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have rotten egg smell - but no CEL or codes.

Any cheap easy fixes? 馃檹馃樅

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I have 125,000 miles is that normal? Can I use real cheap cats? Like these $52 ones? They say they fit my car.

Registered
I have 125,000 miles is that normal? Can I use real cheap cats? Like these $52 ones? They say they fit my car.

At 125k no not really normal unless its been running rough for a while.
Misfiring, very rich conditions, etc..

I would A replace them. Cant guarantee your o2 sensors will like a universal one but if you buy one that is built for your car it should work fine.
Honestly id get them from a junkyard.

And then B. Double check everything fuel trim wise and sensor wise.
You could have a dead o2 sensor or one thats giving false info causing this.
Start with basics like fuel and air filters, sparplugs, etc.
Then what I would do is get a scan tool that can read o2 sensor data and force them rich and lean.

0volts is lean and your fuel trim should go very high. Just pop off a large vacuum line and create a vacuum leak. That will force the sensors lean.

5volts is rich and you'll have very negative fuel trim numbers (PCM trying to compensate for the rich condition)
To make it go rich, i pop off a smaller vacuum line and use an Unlit propane torch and feed propane into the intake.
If your o2 sensors are working correctly then in a matter of seconds the front sensors should go immediately rich and stay there as long as your injecting propane.

These are good tests to do to verify your fuel trim is actually being controlled

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Registered
And actually man...

Here's something you need to do BEFORE you even think about replacing the cats.

You need to look at your o2 sensor data for both banks and both front AND rear o2 sensors.

What you want to see is the front 2 sensors will be very active. They'll go up/down...up/down trying to keep your fuel trim as close to 0 as possible.
The rear sensors will be lazy.. they will have a much slower response time and no where near as active as the front ones.
If the rear sensors are being lazy and flat lined, then your cat con is actually working.

If your rear sensors are very active and closely mimic/match the front sensors, then cat converter is toast for sure.

I would do this test before digging further. Thats just me tho

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Would a wireless android code reader be a good choice? If not please point me to the cheapest one that would do all this.

Registered
Would a wireless android code reader be a good choice? If not please point me to the cheapest one that would do all this.
Any scanner that can read live data is what you'll need.
Even pretty cheap ones will get the info u need.

Woober Goobers!
The universal cats you linked to say they're not legal for sale in California or New York. Aren't you in New York? LOL! And they require welding/fabrication to get them to fit.

Do you have Emissions testing where you're at? When was the last time you passed Emissions testing?

Reactions: UmmScott

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Jersey City - and I have to get my car inspected right now. Haha - however I think in NJ because of age of vehicle they no longer check emissions. What would your advice be? 125,000 miles - no CEL - just a bad smell recently.

Registered
I am in Jersey City - and I have to get my car inspected right now. Haha - however I think in NJ because of age of vehicle they no longer check emissions. What would your advice be? 125,000 miles - no CEL - just a bad smell recently.
happens from short runs sometimes. a good long run brings them around sometimes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks - I will try that! Is there any fuel additive that could help?

Registered
not likely. just get them heated and keep them there for a good half hour or more. long highway trip of about 50 or more miles round trip should do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I just tried that - and I didn't yet smell anything! Fingers crossed - but too busy to give it the real sniff test. Will check again tomorrow! Thanks all!!

Registered
I've always been one to try something simple first before spending money. Try buying your gas from a different station. See if it clears up.

Registered
The universal cats you linked to say they're not legal for sale in California or New York. Aren't you in New York? LOL! And they require welding/fabrication to get them to fit.

Do you have Emissions testing where you're at? When was the last time you passed Emissions testing?
Just be thankful you don't have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid. They're known for blown head gaskets bad O2 sensors and sludge in the oil that needs changed every thousand miles. I've had nothing but absolute problems with my vehicle and it's only got a hundred thousand miles on it. I wish somebody can bring a lawsuit against Dodge for selling products like this. I didn't have the gall to sell this to somebody so I took mine to the scrap yard. Welcome to dodge products

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think Dodge makes cars anymore - but really we love ours. I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2003 and it has a lots of the same parts. 馃槼

Registered
Just be thankful you don't have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid. They're known for blown head gaskets bad O2 sensors and sludge in the oil that needs changed every thousand miles. I've had nothing but absolute problems with my vehicle and it's only got a hundred thousand miles on it. I wish somebody can bring a lawsuit against Dodge for selling products like this. I didn't have the gall to sell this to somebody so I took mine to the scrap yard. Welcome to dodge products

And yet I have an 02 Intrepid with the 3.5 with 219,000 miles that runs like a dream. AC blows ice cold after fixing the Mode door (in Georgia heat and humidity), getting about 22 MPG combined city / highway, cruising at 70 or 75 feels like sitting in the living room.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah - tried different gas. Drove 300 miles in 50 mile runs at about 80 miles per hour NYC to Princeton on the NJ Turnpike - over 3 days...

But it still smells of spray paint mixed with rotten eggs. Haha

Now what? Any easy cheap things? What about a set of cheaper than OEM cats or testing the O2 sensors? Where would you start - what would you try next.

Registered
Now what? Any easy cheap things?

Want cheap results? Lots of stories about what works, actual working solutions involve quality cats made for your car/engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts