DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
First off I must say that this site kicks BUTT!! I am very impressed with everything that I have seen here.
Okay first things first. I have a background in the automotive industry nothing advanced though. I just bought a 93 concord 3.5 with 170000Km or 110000Miles. It was running very fine but I have suddenly noticed a very very bad missfire at idle. It is only at idle tho. As soon as I put er in gear it is fine. This miss is so bad that it feels like my car is being hit with a ball bat. It just started yesturday. I got the car on friday and the first thing I did was swap out the plugs. It was running fine all weekend. I went on a long Haul to Ottawa to do some Rafting so the car was loaded down. Now THIS!!! I have been noticing a slight whistle from the engine under light acceleration. I am beginning to suspect a leaky intake! I am not to sure though as I am very new to this car. I used to tear my honda down all the time but that was a long time ago when I was a fan of the "RICE". I am looking to get this Bugger fixed and get it working at 200% so I can start Kicking the crap out of the local RICE! Let me know what you all think. I will be posting some picks once I start spending some money on the car.

Thanks.

Gomer out! :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
How did your plug wires look, if they are
the factory wires, replace them, either with
oem or performance wires. Don't bother with
a cheap set from a parts store.
You could have a vacum leak at the intake
this is also very common, is the idle
higher than it was before?

·
Registered
39 Posts
How did your plug wires look, if they are
the factory wires, replace them, either with
oem or performance wires. Don't bother with
a cheap set from a parts store.
You could have a vacum leak at the intake
this is also very common, is the idle
higher than it was before?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Eagle. Well this was a Granny's car before I got it so it had been babied its entire life. It has mopar wires on it and they looked fine when I had them out the other day. I will look into getting a new set though just to be on the safe side. Rather replace the wires than rip the intake's off. DOH!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
As Eagle said, Wires... Spark plugs... And the long shot, a Vacum leak? My Concorde has done this in the past, but not as bad as yours.. it turned out to be a vacum leak.

Good luck....

·
Registered
220 Posts
The intake manifold gasket on the pre- '96 cars was a bit of a soft spot. When the gasket was gone on mine, the engine would occasional sputter at idle but would be fine in normal driving.

My guess is its that gasket...

·
Registered
568 Posts
It could be that you grounded out one of your spark plug wires. i have done this with TWO sets of OEM wires. I wash the engine compartment and that condensation plays havoc with the spark plug wire configuration of the 3.5L. If I were you I would start my car and pull one set of wires off at a time to see which one is mis firing. Just becareful not to have your hand too close to the end of the wire, TRUST ME!). Once you have figured out which cylinder is misfiring, pull that wire and inspect the white solid boot section(the part that goes into the head and connects to the plug) and look for a tiny burn hole. If you see one then you need to replace that wire.

I ended up custom fabricating a boot on a set of killer aftermarket wires. Haven't had a problem since.

Buschman

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree with Wildcat, when my intake went it sputtered at idle but not on acceleration. As said replace your plug wires no matter what. Some other preventative maintenance items that you should do around 100,000 miles: PCV valve, fuel filter, tranny fluid and filter (MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT FLUID, NOT DEXRON!!!!!), also if you have the 3.5 and it has not been done yet, I would do the timing belt and water pump because the water pump will start to leak. After that you should be good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Guys... Thanks for the info. I am going to make some calls tonight for a nice set of aftermarket wires. Kind of afraid to find out the cost on those. HA HA Damned Canada Prices. Mabey I should wait till I make a trip to the States and make a stop at the Pep Boyz on Military Rd. NF, NY. Anyone know if that chain is any good for aftermarket parts? Oh well. I will see what I can find tonight. I am also going to see how much the intake gaskets cost and go buy a haynes manual. Find out if this is something that I want to attempt or not. I am sure that it is not that big a deal to rip the intakes off this engine. Anyways. Thanks again guys. If I do this I will be sure to take pics for you all to see.

Gomer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts