DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the problem, in my parents computer i have a stick of 512mb PC133 SDRAM in the 1st slot, and a stick of 256Mb PC133 SDRAM in the second slot for a total of 768Mb. For some reason it's only picking up 383Mb. Also, at times of it's own chosing, the colour settings for the monitor will change all by themselves from 32bit to 8 bit, which is really a pain in the ass. At the moment i'm thinking that the 512Mb stick of RAM is probably bad, anyone agree or have other suggestions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pull the suspect stick and see if it solves the problem and try the other if it does not. If the problem persists, it could be the motherboard. You might try updating the BIOS and drivers in that case.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also, sometimes you have to put in matching sticks. Some motherboards won't accept different types.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had some RAM go bad before. Similar to you, when it went bad, I just lost parts of my display, not the whole thing completely. There was like lingering black boxes on my monitor. Took the RAM out and it was fine.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[QUOTE='98-ESer]Turn off bank interleaving.....[/QUOTE]

Que?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneFore9 said:
Also, sometimes you have to put in matching sticks. Some motherboards won't accept different types.
I thought this also when i installed it a few years ago, but it detected it fine when i installed it, and ran great.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that would be easy, small problem is that there is no manual, i didn't build the thing. You may as well be telling me to fly a plane, i have no idea how to do either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What brand and model motherboard are you using?
That info should be available on the first or second screen when your computer boots up.
Based on that info, we can dig deeper.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no idea... i'll try and find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts