DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get an alignment and was told that they can't align the car until I get the left inner tie rod bushing replaced. For $40 for the part and $200 in labor I wanted a second opinion. I got under the car and checked it out, ALL of the bushings look FINE. I was told it was disintegrated, its not disentigrated, only worn, but what parts arent worn on a vehicle? Would they be able to see something that I can't?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Grab your inner tie rod and see if there is any play. A worn tie-rod bushing isn't really something that's easily visible. You can change them yourself. Not too hard. Parts run about $12 at Napa for the Moog split bushing set. Lots of folks on here have changed them out. Took me about an hour to do both inner bushings on my 2nd Gen...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that, push and play with them but nothing budges. I feel like I was getting swindled. I will have another shop try and alignment, if the same thing happens Ill ask to see it and then do it myself. Thanks for your help, I would give ya rep, but I have to spread some around first.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ya if you do it your self, i know some tricks that my cousin (a mechanic) did on mine that made it very very easy and only look about 30 min.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
You can't get to the inner tie rods from under the car? Anyway.. it's simple enough to do yourself.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodgey, you said you can't get to the inner bushings from under the car, how would the shop have known the bushings are bad?

I checked the tie rods and wiggled them all, nothing even budges, I dont think they are damaged. That is unless you can see them with the car jacked up?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
Dodgey, you said you can't get to the inner bushings from under the car, how would the shop have known the bushings are bad?

I checked the tie rods and wiggled them all, nothing even budges, I dont think they are damaged. That is unless you can see them with the car jacked up?
How many miles are on your Trep and have they ever been replaced ...???

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have only had the car for a year+ now and I honestly don't know if they have ever been replaced. I have approx. 121,000 miles on currently. We got the car from a Mechanic who is a good friend of my dad's. I am 99% he would have replaced them if they were bad.

It looks like you cant even see them from underneath the car. Im going to beat the mechanics at Belle Tire. Tomorrow I will jack up the fronts and pull on the tie rods to double check, but they are solid.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
liaring mechanics.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
It's MUCH easier to get to the tie rods from under the hood. They might not be worn to the point that you can move them by hand. With the key in the "on" position (NOT RUNNING), turn your wheel back and forth slightly. Do you hear any noise?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that but didn't hear anything.

I took the car to another shop today and they showed me the damage. The left inner tie rod bushing needs to be replaced, the right one is in great shape. ALSO my right ball joint is bad. How hard is it to replace a ball joint yourself?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
95Intrepisize said:

Trust me, the easiest way to access them is through the hood. To replace them you need to remove the cowl panel (the plastic one) and the wiper assembly. If you open the hood and shine a flashlight down there you will see them and know what i mean. As in2deep said, turn your key to the on position, move the steering wheel back and forward, be on the lookout for loose play in the wheel, and a clunking noise as you move the wheel from side to side.

Although you said one of them is in great shape, replace both. Whenever you repair/replace anything to do with steering/suspension, what you do to one side, you must do to the other. I'd suggest getting a haynes manual regarding the tie rod replacement. You'll need to get a wheel alignment when you're done as well.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Not too sure about the ball joint, although speaking from experience on other vehicles, ball joints are pretty simple to replace.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
DodgeyAussie said:
Trust me, the easiest way to access them is through the hood. To replace them you need to remove the cowl panel (the plastic one) and the wiper assembly. If you open the hood and shine a flashlight down there you will see them and know what i mean. As in2deep said, turn your key to the on position, move the steering wheel back and forward, be on the lookout for loose play in the wheel, and a clunking noise as you move the wheel from side to side.

Although you said one of them is in great shape, replace both. Whenever you repair/replace anything to do with steering/suspension, what you do to one side, you must do to the other. I'd suggest getting a haynes manual regarding the tie rod replacement. You'll need to get a wheel alignment when you're done as well.
I thought so too, but the Mechanic I spoke with said that I shouldn't worry about it, should I get the other bushing taken car of too or not?

According to the what you do to one side, you must do to the other theory, If I replace one bushing (control arm), I need to replace the other then too?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Yup.

As far as the big picture is concerned, it all depends on how long you plan to keep the car for. I've you plan to keep it for a few years, i would go ahead and do your inner tie rod bushings, outer tie rod ends, ball joints and control arm bushings all at the same time. That way you know it's all done and in good shape, and you'll get the best milage out of your tires.

And just quietly, i think you should find another mechanic.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Also, look at it this way, if you go ahead and get them out of the way now, you won't have to go back and do the same thing twice, so your best bet would be to change them both now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dodgey, I would love to find my "own" mechanic, but I don't trust any of them. I have yet to have an exceptional encounter with a Mechanic, although they have been helpful.

I will be replacing both Inner tie rod bushings and the right ball joint (control arm). I would love to take your advice and replace it all, but I financially cannot. If I could, I would do it all in a heart beat. My goal is to replace whats bad to protect the $650 I just put onto the car in tires and to prevent further suspension/chassis problems. Thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Hey no worries. Just remember, what you do to one side, do to the other. If you have even a moderate mechanical ability, with the help of a service manual you can easily do it all yourself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts