DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving my 1st gen trep with not functionning oxygen sensors for ~2 years. I was wondering if it's bad for the engine or not...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and see. If they are very dark and sootie, then you have been running rich. This results in less power and less fuel efficiency, but should not effect your motor life. If the plugs look whitish and have an ashie texture then you have been running lean. Running lean can cause detonation which is what kills engines. I'd correct the problem.

Does anyone know if Treps run with a MAF? If not then, then i'm guessing they use those O2s to calculate the Air/Fuel ratio. So it would be wise to get them replaced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's a MAF ?
They (at least mine) do use those O2 sensors to calculate the Air/Fuel ratio...but I learned that just yesterday

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
ive been running about 2 weeks without 02 sensors. only thing i notice is its a gas hog now. soon as i get my job they will be fixed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The MAF has a little piece of metal on it that reads the temperature of the air. If air flows through, the temperature on the little piece of metal drops, and it adjusts the fuel/air mix accordingly. I have no idea if treps use a MAF. Because a vehicle, like my Q45, has a MAF, it does not mean the O2 sensors serve no purpose. O2 sensors are critical to fuel economy.

-Jesda

·
9,861 Posts
MAF messures air flow. Not tempature.

We have a MAP sensor. Not MAF.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Actually a Mass Air Flow sensor uses the change in air temp to calculate the amount of air going through it. So you're both right. ;) My Firebird uses MAF and MAP sensors to calcutate AFR and the 02s are like a backup check. But lots of guys go away from the MAF and just use the MAP. It doesn't matter here. Cause Chrysler seems clearly more dependant on 02s. Therefore, it's probably throws itself way rich when it doesn't see them anymore to stay safe. So i think you'll be okay for a while, but you'll lose power and burn more gas till you get it fixed.

Mike

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Chryslers use MAP sensor you can run forever without O2 sensors unless you get emissions testing. You may still have one good O2 sensor if all you did was the key on key off test and the PCM will compensate for the bad one by using the good one even if you have neither the PCM will attempt to compensate from what it has learned and will most likely not cause damage to the engine

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
popimp said:
Chryslers use MAP sensor you can run forever without O2 sensors unless you get emissions testing. You may still have one good O2 sensor if all you did was the key on key off test and the PCM will compensate for the bad one by using the good one even if you have neither the PCM will attempt to compensate from what it has learned and will most likely not cause damage to the engine

ha ... the car is smarter then me !!!!!!! lmao :fun_71:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts