DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lock 'Em Up: Illinois Town Considers Banning Talking While Driving
Date posted: 03-17-2006

WINNETKA, Ill. — The village council in this suburb of Chicago is considering banning any form of distracted driving, which would include everything from eating to applying makeup to tuning in a radio station or changing a CD while operating a vehicle.

Cell phone use is already outlawed in Chicago and other cities in Illinois, but not yet in Winnetka — but it would be if this regulation is passed.

The council will meet next Tuesday to discuss the prospective new law, which would levy fines of as much as $750. If it passes, Winnetka would be the first town in the state to have such a law. The American Automobile Association (AAA) says only two other states (Connecticut and New Hampshire) and the District of Columbia currently have actual laws against distracted driving.

What this means to you: Hey, you with the Big Mac in one hand and the BlackBerry in the other! Knock it off!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
You can't change a CD while driving? WTF?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
NYS passed a law a few years ago banning the use of a hand held cell phone. Only hands-free is allowed while driving. What a ****ing joke. I see people everyday gabbing away on their phones, driving stupid and unable to signal for lane changes because their hands aren't free. And it doesn't seem to be enforced either. Some stupid ***** almost slammed into the back of me on my way to work a few months ago because she was too ****ing busy talking on the phone to pay attention to the fact that I was slowing down. I slammed on my brakes hoping she'd drop her phone, but she didn't and it clearly pissed her off. Laws are great, pass a whole bunch of laws. How about actually enforcing them?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Whoa,
little hostile there froggy! :smilie_st

I agree with cell phone useagle being illegal while driving, I've also read studies that handsfree are just as bad. Mainly because it's pulling your attention away from the task at hand, which is piloting a lethal weapon (car) around a bunch of other lethal weapons.

And yes, enforcement is the key here, you are quite correct about that. Falls in the category of "dangerous driving" if you ask me, which should be more of an enforcement focus than simple speeding (although I agree with that too being enforced too).

cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
For idiots that hold phones to their heads.. fine them. But for people who are talking on a phone with a bluetooth headset, handsfree setup etc, that's retarded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts