DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Base '00 Intrepid

After having my '02 taken from me on Christmas Eve, I pursued the idea of getting a Charger, but over time I realized I was happy with my Intrepid and, financially, it was a better plan. That night I found a dealership selling a used '00 model with less than 30k miles on it.

Immediately I set about cleaning it up, fixing the weatherstripping, adding an RKE, and came across a complete set of ES wheels. Decided to finally do the car some justice with a nice photo and decided to share. Have to put my camera to use ever so often.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Nice.

BTW, the USA is a big place. Care to narrow it down a bit? State or at least region?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Nice looking, think you still have to do the timing belt and water pump, looks Great tho.
Actually, that would be a timing chain (it's a 2.7) and I wouldn't do it.
It has less than 30k miles on it.

I would keep the oil changed and keep a very close watch on the coolant.

Being a 2.7, it will need lots of TLC.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Very clean car! Sorry to hear about your old one being stolen.

Nice looking, think you still have to do the timing belt and water pump, looks Great tho.
You're thinking of the 3.2/5. The 2.7 uses a timing chain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice.

BTW, the USA is a big place. Care to narrow it down a bit? State or at least region?
North Alabama :)

From what I have read/been told, the pump needs to be changed every 60-80k (opinion varies) and it needs to use full synthetic oil due to the crankcase ventilation system sludging regular oil. As for the timing chain, I can't find anything specific about when it or the tensioners need to be replaced. I'll read into it.

I will, however, be keeping an eye on the coolant using a marker of some sort and I'll check it ever so often and moreso as I approach 60k+. I hear you can check the oil dipstick as well and if it turns milky that can be a sign of the water pump.

This is all just personal research on the 2.7 So if I am mistaken, please let me know :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe its a combination of mileage and age of the vehicle. Mileage may be low, but age doesn't go down unfortunately.

Looks sharp other wise!!
Very true and I appreciate the comment!

Thankfully the car was purchased by a woman who was 65 at the time. It's only had one owner. I got a gem, I think. However, while I intend on doing as much of the maintenance on my own as possible (and using the junk yard for practice runs), I plan on taking it in for a full inspection/once over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts