DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car start up fine this morning. I drove less than two miles to go get gas. Got to gas station shut the car off, left key in ignition, open door, left door open with key in ignition car was make the binging sound when key is left in ignition and door open. Fill car up with gas less than three minutes jump back into car close door and try to start car and the battery is dead. Some gave me a boost, car started let it run for a few min. Started driving battery light came on drove back home parked the car, shut car off try starting it again and it started no more battery light. Bought battery from AZ on 12-14-11 not even a year yet. I check alternator and I'm getting 14 volt when car is running and 13 volt when car is off. This is not the first time this happen, it has happen in the past. Not sure what can be wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
rule of thumb,, start at the battery connections,,, at the battery,, make sure they are clean and tight,, then go to the Neg and postive posts under the hood, make sure they are clean and tight,, most people say there fine,, mine looked great also,,,

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check you battery terminals are tight and at both jump terminals where you connect the jumper cables

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks but to mention before the guy gave me a jump battery has no voltage can that cause the battery to drain in such short time.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
you went down to the battery with a volt meter to check? im sure he jumped you at the jump posts under the hood,, the alt light comming on while you were driving is a tell tail sign you have a bad connection, or a bad cell in the battery

·
Premium Member
17,324 Posts
ok thanks but to mention before the guy gave me a jump battery has no voltage can that cause the battery to drain in such short time.
That sounds like bad connection as was pointed out, possibly ignition switch too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i check the voltage from the jump post and i got nothing then he jump from from the same post. Ill check the connection from the battery. How can a cell from a battery go bad if the battery is less than a year old?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Bad luck if that's the case - but that's what the no-cost exchange is for, during the first year (most places do that, IIRC).

My money is on a bad connection somewhere, however.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Each cell provides about 2.2 volts. If it was a bad cell then you should have still gotten a reading of about 10-10.5 volts. I'm gonna bet on the bad connection. And don't forget to check the connections on the ground side also, those are just as important.

·
Premium Member
17,324 Posts
5 votes for bad connection. :)

·
Woober Goobers!
51,014 Posts
Make that 6 votes! Have you looked closely at the connections at the battery posts specifically and the cable condition at the post clamps? The cables have been known to corrode within the insulation sheath and fall apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts