DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get a lot of negative terminal corrosion on my trep. I clean it off with baking soda and within a month or so it is completely cruded up again. i don't use any type of terminal grease/goop since i don't have any other cars with that type of problem. of course the trep has a top post battery though. today at the store the car would not start. nothing. no inside lights either. i loosened the cable and twisted the terminal but no good. i got a jump and when i got home and tried to restart it, nothing. dead again. i put in a new battery and the voltage reads 14V at the battery. is the corrosion a sign of something going on or what? the old battery was 4yrs old but was just a 60 month warranty. cheap brand.

·
Registered
384 Posts
my grandpa has always put this ugly white grease on them. but i wont do it to mine because i cant stand the smell of it. but it seems to work well.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Have you ever actually changed out the battery cables? If the cable end had loosened on the cable and collected dirt/crud, that can cause things to corrode.

Corrosion is sometimes caused by a low-level short circuit somewhere on top of the battery. Greasy, wet road dirt is just conductive enough to get things going.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sara

the lead girl in my pit crew always does what her mom told her

put a little vaseline on it

and it will never come back :wow:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah use vaseline, its electrically conductive and it obviously cant corrode.

On a side note, holy **** 88, that is one clean ass green intepid, wish my paint was that good looking. =(

·
Banned
338 Posts
If you are getting a lot of corrosion, make sure that the alternator is not overcharging the battery. plus if the corrosion is that bad, it probably has gotten under the insulation and has destroyed the cable. you will probably need to replace the whole cable. Altho If I remember my chemistry right, the above charging problem would do the positive cable not the negative....

AJ

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know they sell terminal dressing at autostores. I mix up a solution of baking soda/water and pour it on the post and it looks like a volcano. greenish foam and bubbles. i also think my battery had been cranking slower the last yr or so. if you can remember when you replaced it, than its too early too die. I sold a car last year and when the new owner got it home, it would not start several hrs later. i have changed all the batteries on my 3 cars this year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Best bet I've found is to get some steel wool, or a really good terminal cleaner...with the little wire brushes...scrub the living daylights out of your terminals and cable clamps...at least till it shines...then scrub some more. Then get some di-electric silicone grease....usually about $5 for a big tube at part-source (cdn tire wanna be), and grease up the terminals and the battery clamp. I find this stuff lasts longer than vaseline and is not petroleum based. I'd be worried the petroleum base would do damage to your battery cables over time. Silicone grease is safe enough for spark plug wires, so it'd deffinately good enough for battery cables.

My $.02...
Dan

*edit...hooked on phonix failed me*

·
Registered
646 Posts
Side question, how difficult is it to replace the cables and rings? mine are corroded to hell, and how much does it cost?

Sorry for the hijack :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts