DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery to alternator wire getting HOT !!

So I did the big 3 mod about a year ago. I have a problem with the wire going from my battery (+) to alternator.

The wire goes from the (+) to a circuit breaker (150A I think) and from circuit breaker to the alternator.

For some reason the ends of the wire (the one betweem circuit breaker and alternator) is getting really hot. It has changed the Red Insulation to black color. Below are few pictures. Any ideas why the wire ends are getting super Hot !!! I have big gold connectors too.

Battery

Circuit Breaker

Alternator

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just guessing here but Maybe the crimp ring you have, seen on the battery connected to the clamp nut, is cutting/slowing down the possible current that can pass through the cable and thus heating it. The current flows through the 4ga, max amp draw, all through the cable UNTIL it hits that crimp where it narrows to something less than the thickness of the cable, 4ga, I can't even guess the gauge but maybe something like a 10-8ga at most.

See the crimp eyelet on the terminal from the topdown view and realize that the thin piece of metal that connects the cable(crimped) to the nut open eyelet that is the 'gauge' or limitation of the current flow. If there is another eyelet like that on the alternator it would probably be the same thing happening there.

Anyway that is my 'guess' perhaps there is a just too much drain on your system or maybe your should check your old, stock, cables to make sure they are not corroded/damaged etc and forcing all the current to go through your upgraded cables.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been told that this is a problem with the connectors. I kinda knew that it was the connectors, but the wire running from the battery to the circuit breaker is fine. Hence the concern.

I am gonna buy a new wire and get the connectors crimped professionally. May be that will solve the problem

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your question only relates to a certain engine or generation, then post it in the appropriate forum. If it's a generic question/problem, then feel free to post it here.
My question does not relate to a certain engine or generation. All cars have battery, alternator and wire.

Thanks for your post though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.
About my heating problem - it were the crimps, I bought new ones and now lets hope that I dont have this issue.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The latter...
I like aggravate fair-weather weekend pilots!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts