DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my best friend trevor's unit got ambushed and wiped out pretty badly. His closest friend/combat buddy took one in the back while they were standing next to each other. His funeral is here on sunday. Hes pretty messed up and is in the military hospital for psychological treatment. He saw some of the worst fighting so far. There were insurgents at a hospital using patients as human shields. Hes not allowed to tell us much, but we've pieced together a fair amount and have found articles online. Here is the general one about his company and the fighting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7823375/

Here is a specific article about his buddy that was killed.
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4482080/detail.html

This is my friend Trevor and Dustin

Here is the rest of what we know.

United States Marine Corps

Press Release
Public Affairs Office
Multi-National Force --West; II Marine Expeditionary Force; Multi-National Force --West, II Marine Expeditionary Force

Release # 0509-05-1125

Insurgents fire on Marines from hospital, use patients as human shields
May 9, 2005

HADITHAH, Iraq -- Insurgents fired on Marines from Regimental Combat Team 2 from built-up fighting positions within the local hospital May 7.

Insurgents forced patients and medical staff to stay in the hospital while they started an attack that included a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device. The SVBIED exploded approximately 30 feet from the patient ward, killing three Marines from Regimental Combat Team 2, and starting a fire in the hospital.

A sailor was killed in the ensuing battle. Several insurgents then used patients as human shields as they fled deeper into the burning hospital. Marines cleared the hospital of insurgents, killing one and capturing another, while protecting patients and staff.

Marines then conducted a sweep of the immediate area, discovering and killing several more insurgents near the hospital, while the hospital staff moved patients to safety.

The entire battle lasted about four hours. The Iraqi patients were subsequently evacuated to medical facilities in nearby towns. No civilian lives were lost

INSURGENTS USE HOSPITAL FOR ATTACK
May 8, 2005

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq -- A number of insurgents were killed Saturday night when they used a civilian hospital in Hadithah to conduct an attack on coalition forces.

Three Marines and one Sailor were killed in the engagement.

While responding to small arms fire near the Hadithah Dam, Marines observed civilians running from the
HadithahHospital. The unit was then attacked by a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, which impacted a nearby building, destroying it and causing the hospital to catch fire.

Insurgents detonated an improvised explosive device and fired small-arms and rocket-propelled grenades from inside the hospital. Upon searching the hospital, Marines found fortified firing positions with sand-bagged windows.

The names of the deceased are being held pending notification of next of kin.

Demise of a hard-fighting squad

Marines who survived ambush are killed, wounded in blast

By Ellen Knickmeyer

Updated: 4:38 a.m. ET May 12, 2005

HABAN, Iraq, May 11 - The explosion enveloped the armored vehicle in flames, sending orange balls of fire bubbling above the trees along the Euphrates River near the Syrian border.

Marines in surrounding vehicles threw open their hatches and took off running across the plowed fields, toward the already blackening metal of the destroyed vehicle. Shouting, they pulled to safety those they could, as the flames ignited the bullets, mortar rounds, flares and grenades inside, rocketing them into the sky and across pastures.

Gunnery Sgt. Chuck Hurley emerged from the smoke and turmoil around the vehicle, circling toward the spot where helicopters would later land to pick up casualties. As he passed one group of Marines, he uttered one sentence: "That was the same squad."

Among the four Marines killed and 10 wounded when an explosive device erupted under their Amtrac on Wednesday were the last battle-ready members of a squad that four days earlier had battled foreign fighters holed up in a house in the town of Ubaydi. In that fight, two squad members were killed and five were wounded.

In 96 hours of fighting and ambushes in far western Iraq, the squad had ceased to be.

Every member of the squad -- one of three that make up the 1st Platoon of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment -- had been killed or wounded, Marines here said. All told, the 1st Platoon -- which Hurley commands -- had sustained 60 percent casualties, demolishing it as a fighting force.

More Iraq news

"They used to call it Lucky Lima," said Maj. Steve Lawson, commander of the company. "That turned around and bit us."

Wednesday was the fourth day of fighting in far western Iraq, as the U.S. military continued an assault that has sent more than 1,000 Marines down the ungoverned north bank of the Euphrates River in search of foreign fighters crossing the border from Syria. Of seven Marines killed so far in the operation, six came come from Lima Company's 1st Platoon.

Lima Company drew Marine reservists from across Ohio into the conflict in Iraq. Some were still too young to be bothered much by shaving, or even stubble.

To war in an Amtrac
They rode to war on a Marine Amtrac, an armored vehicle that travels on tank-like treads. Marines in Iraq typically crowd thigh to thigh in the Amtrac, with one or two men perched on cardboard boxes of rations. Only the gunners manning the top hatches of Amtracs have any view of the passing scenery. Those inside find out what their field of combat is when the rear ramp comes down and they run out with weapons ready

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
sorry to hear that dan, truley am

ALi

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That would be freedom fighters fighting for there country. I feel for your loss in an invasion that should of never been started. The little people pay the price of the mistakes of the elected officials. Bush should send his family to fight.

That new FX show starting soon should give us an idea of the hell those soldiers face every day. Both sides

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah well I still dissagree with you adaptabl, if they were freedom fighters fighting for a good cause, then they wouldn't be holding the sick an injured of their own population in front of them as human shields.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
adaptabl said:
That would be freedom fighters fighting for there country.
Defending their country because they were invaded, and attacked FIRST (for no other reason than being a 12-year-old vendetta and prime location for a US Army base so that they can attack other countries in the middle east on a moment's notice).

adaptabl said:
I feel for your loss in an invasion that should of never been started. The little people pay the price of the mistakes of the elected officials. Bush should send his family to fight.
Completely agreed!

CaptainMorgan, I'm sorry your friend is injured and his friend died. I feel sorry for them and their familys (espically their mothers who just celebrated mothers day, and the fathers who won't be able to enjoy their fathers day). Every death & injury, Iraqi or American, make me hate this expensive, selfish, unjust, illogical war more.

CaptainMorgan said:
Yeah well I still dissagree with you adaptabl, if they were freedom fighters fighting for a good cause, then they wouldn't be holding the sick an injured of their own population in front of them as human shields.
And if the American soldiers were "defending the USA" or even defending themselves, why would they be caught on tape (link was somewhere on this site) shooting and killing a dog that was just walking around? Both sides are guilty.

·
9,861 Posts
adaptabl said:
That would be freedom fighters fighting for there country. I feel for your loss in an invasion that should of never been started. The little people pay the price of the mistakes of the elected officials. Bush should send his family to fight.

That new FX show starting soon should give us an idea of the hell those soldiers face every day. Both sides
I wasn't aware that terriorists who kill more of thier own people then the opposition could be called "Freedom Fighters". Do they still get 200 virgins if they kill thier brothers and sisters?

I'm regretful for your loss.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hypnos said:
I wasn't aware that terriorists who kill more of thier own people then the opposition could be called "Freedom Fighters". Do they still get 200 virgins if they kill thier brothers and sisters?
The ones doing the kidnapping and car-bombing are terrorists. But the individuals fighting American soldiers defending their country AREN'T terrorists.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^Do you just try to figure out the dumbest **** to say and then type it. Cause there's no way this just comes to you. You have to think up stupid **** like that. Especially, when the entire thread is on a serious note. Do us all a favor and stop posting idiotic responses.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
CaptainMorgan said:

And you trust American reports?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Marine Cpl. Dustin Derga was younger than me (he was only 24), and I'm pretty young. It shouldn't have been his time.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
adaptabl said:
And you trust American reports?
I trust my friend, and while he wasn't able to directly state the human shield part he implied it.

If Americans did it (or are doing it) then I would call for their heads on a stake just as much as I do these assholes. The other thing that makes these people not freedom fighters, is that most of the insurgents doing **** like this aren't even iraqi.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
The ones doing the kidnapping and car-bombing are terrorists. But the individuals fighting American soldiers defending their country AREN'T terrorists.
Bullshit. The Iraqi security/policemen are the ones fighting for their country. They're the ones trying to establish peace and stability and a secure future. The insurgents are fighting because they want things the way they used to be, where they profit from spreading fear, terror, uncertainty, chaos, imbalance, corruption etc for their faction.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Operator said:
Bullshit. The Iraqi security/policemen are the ones fighting for their country. They're the ones trying to establish peace and stability and a secure future. The insurgents are fighting because they want things the way they used to be, where they profit from spreading fear, terror, uncertainty, chaos, imbalance, corruption etc for their faction.
Well said! Anyone siding with these creeps over American servicemen should do what their "freedom fighting" buddies are doing: Go to Iraq to be killed like the good little terrorists that they are. Friggen morons. Blinded by hatred of their own President. Now that's stupid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RapidTransit said:
Well said! Anyone siding with these creeps over American servicemen should do what their "freedom fighting" buddies are doing: Go to Iraq to be killed like the good little terrorists that they are. Friggen morons. Blinded by hatred of their own President. Now that's stupid.
are you, by any chance, related to bush?
Bullshit. The Iraqi security/policemen are the ones fighting for their country. They're the ones trying to establish peace and stability and a secure future.
A stable and secure future with over 150000 "foreign terrorists"..ooops...I mean...."liberators" roaming around the country doing whatever they want while enjoying full immunity from any of the laws of the "sovereign" Iraqi government? Even going as far as assaulting and humiliating cabinet ministers and "elected" lawmakers at roadblocks?
I trust my friend, and while he wasn't able to directly state the human shield part he implied it.
I don't. Why would the freedom fighters, or "insurgents" if you prefer, hold Iraqis as human shields? It doesn't make sense. Everyone knows the americans would call air support and blast the whole hospital away to kill the "terrorists". Any civilians inside would be "accidental collateral damage" that never gets reported in the media and no one in the west cares about. If they really wanted human shields to save them, they would have chosen american, or other white western hostages.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I hate to sound cold and heartless but I'd like to know. Did your friend enlist or re-enlist after The Iraqi War started? I know that many people enlisted shortly after 9/11 (but before Iraq) and I'm sure some of those got sucked up in the Iraqi War whether they liked it or not ...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't. Why would the freedom fighters, or "insurgents" if you prefer, hold Iraqis as human shields? It doesn't make sense. Everyone knows the americans would call air support and blast the whole hospital away to kill the "terrorists". Any civilians inside would be "accidental collateral damage" that never gets reported in the media and no one in the west cares about. If they really wanted human shields to save them, they would have chosen american, or other white western hostages.
Because they KNOW the U.S. forces would not intentionally attack with full force if there is a chance of hurting INNOCENT Iraqis. U.S servicemen are killed all the time as a result of such policies, when they would have been otherwise more successful militarily in achieving whatever the goal was with less loss of U.S. lives, but more civilian casualties.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts