DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting to be that time of year where the grills and smokers get fired up more often. I know I've had mine out a few times already. Figured I'd start a thread where we can BS about our cooking setups, methods to try, smoker/grill mods, or even if one of us hit up a good bbq joint and find something that really stands out.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

My main smoker is a LP powered 38" smoke hollow with a window in the door. Spent $200 on it from walmart a year ago. Ended up buying some of the nomex seals that are used for the big green egg and used it to seal up the doors. Not overly impressed with the original chip box. Sometimes the chips would only be charred in one area or they would smoke for a while and quit (running out of oxygen in the tall smoke box?). Found a short cast iron chip box at menards yesterday, will have to try it out.

I've spent $100 on an apple iGrill2 with 4 temp probes. Unfortunately apple sold out that product to weber and they made a new app that sucks. Would recommend looking at other options for digital meat temp probes.

My grill is a Weber Q2000. Probably the best $250 I've spent. Is sized for use with small propane cans as a camp grill but I've bought a hose that allows me to run it off a 15 lb tank.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
Gnarly! Need to dig out my old grill pics.

Nothing I have compares to what you have now. I don't have any experience with "Smoking"!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
My Lame contribution to the thread! Bought this back in July 2010. Was on sale and got it for around $200. Stainless Steel but bottom rung Stainless!

In the box at home...

Assembled indoors...

More detail. Nice that it has steel grates instead of the usual chrome plated cheeseball racks...

Got to have that Side Burner for heating up mushrooms in Worcestershire Sauce and Butter!

And finally in it's natural Habitat Outdoors on the Balcony!

Bonus is the Bottle Opener on the front of the left side shelf!

Sorry to clutter up your thread Brandon!

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
Looks good but most likely sux for heat control. Basically a Burger and Chicken Grilling Machine!

Figure if I have to do any real serious BBQ work I'd need something better like what you and Chris are onto.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
What's your budget? What's your preference....Propane or charcoal? Just looking for a basic grill? How much do you expect to cook at one time?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good but most likely sux for heat control. Basically a Burger and Chicken Grilling Machine!

Figure if I have to do any real serious BBQ work I'd need something better like what you and Chris are onto.
I saw a tip that you might be able to use with your grill Ron. Seems the people with the larger version of my smoker were having a hard time getting their temps down to where they want them, the solution was to light the burner then instead of turning it to "low" they would push in on the knob and turn it back towards off in order to get the flames down far enough to control it.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Guess I'm the old guy still stuck in the past.

Weber kettle charcoal. Love anything cooked with charcoal. Turkeys, pork roast, roast beef and the usual dogs and burgers, chicken, and some seafood.

Being a bit of a procrastinator having to plan out timing with starting and getting the fire ready to cook sometimes makes me think about just pressing a button and waiting maybe 5 minutes. But then I can do a couple beers or a couple rum and cokes while waiting and it makes it worth it.

Kingsford charcoal gets it done 100%, have tried some other stuff, even matchlite etc but Kingsford has never ever disappointed.

·
Premium Member
16,639 Posts
I saw a tip that you might be able to use with your grill Ron. Seems the people with the larger version of my smoker were having a hard time getting their temps down to where they want them, the solution was to light the burner then instead of turning it to "low" they would push in on the knob and turn it back towards off in order to get the flames down far enough to control it.
Knowing nothing about this subject, if you were to regulate the gas pressure down, would that allow the knob to be used for more precise regulation in the normal range of adjustment? Might require adding a second down-regulator, or replacing the existing regulator - or is the one already there adjustable? Just axin'.

EDIT: Could add a switch to bypass the second regulator - call it "turbo-mode". :)

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
I'll try that the next time I'm outside when it's above 50 degrees! Was this for Brinkmann grills? Or Propane grills in general?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was suggested for a smoke hollow smoker, but the knob are typically about the same. Don't see why it couldn't work for others. Bill's suggestion about replacing the regulator with a lower pressure one would probably be the right way to do things although I'm not sure if the adjustable regulators go any lower than the preset ones.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What's your budget? What's your preference....Propane or charcoal? Just looking for a basic grill? How much do you expect to cook at one time?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Budget under a grand. I'm juset starting out so i dont wanna go too crazy. Only really going to be cooking for my family so it dont have to be huge. Woulid prefer propane, as thats what i've started with. I don't know too much about charcoal.

Sorry it took me awhile to get back. Snow and snow and work got me busy Lol

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Wrapped it up in foil at 8:30 this morning. Think maybe next time I'll do it without foiling even though it will take longer, but I like a crusty bark. Cooked this one at about 250 +/- 10 degrees. Always done 225 in the past. Only took 3/4 the time.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,891 Posts
That sure looks good. How does it taste?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts